Question for Doc - Uploading pics

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hey Doc, we use a lot of pictures here on NCT which is awesome! Love all the pics!!

I used to upload my pics to a photobucket account and just link them in. But, a lot of work places block photo sharing sites so some can't see the pics…..but pics that are directly uploaded always show. Also, I'm getting lazy and it's easier and faster to just upload the pics directly here. :yum:

Which do you prefer us to do Doc? As the years go on, and we keep uploading pics, does that cause a storage issue for NCT at the server? Is disc space ever going to be an issue?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Keltin,

I am sure that Doc will be right along. I have had this conversation with him before. I am pretty sure that he will tell you that he would prefer to have them uploaded to NCT.

While I am at it, your account of helping that neighbor family was wonderful. Thank you for caring.

buckytom

Grill Master
this was discussed recently a doc said that he preferred pix to be directly uploaded, as andy mentioned.

part of the reason, besides pix being blocked, is that when a picture is uploaded via a photo sharing site, the picture can disappear ( as far as nct is concerned) if the owner rearranges their albums on that site or deletes some pictures. that leaves "holes" here in the forum, when you get that little red x.

i have a question in conjunction with this. if someone posts from a photo sharing site, then someone else quotes the op with the pic, is the picture then "captured", as it were?

doc, oooohhhh doc...

is the photo data stored in a quote, or just a copy of the img-url-img doohickey?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
This is uploaded from Photobucket

wings1.jpg

Let's see

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK - In my first post, I posted the soup pix that was in the quoted post. Then I went back and edited the first post and put a different image in.

Conclusion - The image is captured.

Both images came from photobucket.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I checked the source HTML code for the quote. It is only using the IMG link and not grabbing a local copy of the pic. Here is the quoted code.

< i m g src="http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Adillo303/soup2.jpg" border="0" alt="" /><b r / >

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This means that if "h t t p://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Adillo303/soup2.jpg" ever disappears on the PB server, the quote breaks.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
In order to encourage people to join, doesn't he also have it fixed where if you're not a member you can't see the pics that are uploaded directly onto NCT?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Andy, do you have a recipe posted for that soup?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Lee, you are the greatest and right on. The soup is a pic from an IC. At one piint, I did the summary from some IC's. My problem is that I want some of that soup too. I cannot remember which one.

Mama, you are correct. Non members do not see pox loaded directly to NCT.

Other uses have made use of Photobucket that was less than kind.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
In order to encourage people to join, doesn't he also have it fixed where if you're not a member you can't see the pics that are uploaded directly onto NCT?

Yeah, that was a thing for me. I've been giving links to friends showing things I've cooked, especialy to the guy that gives me wood for smoking. So I give him links to show how his wood was used for smoking. The last thing I did was with his wood and a meatloaf, and he said he DID see the pics - and he wanted the leftovers! He's not a member, so maybe Doc turned non-member viewing back on? Not sure?

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Lee, you are the greatest and right on. The soup is a pic from an IC. At one piint, I did the summary from some IC's. My problem is that I want some of that soup too. I cannot remember which one.

Mama, you are correct. Non members do not see pox loaded directly to NCT.

Other uses have made use of Photobucket that was less than kind.

That bowl looks like one of Peeps bowls! I love her dishes. Maybe that is her soup and she can share the recipe again or bump it?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
See what I miss when I have to mow 4 acres of grass. LOL :yum:
We finally had some sunshine the past two days and the yard dried up enough to mow most of it.

Like BT and Andy said, I much prefer the pic be uploaded here onto NCT. That way we are not dependent on any other server to show off what we have.

A while back I opened up the pics so all could see most of the forums. At times I will turn it off to help entice folks to join ..but of late I'm leaving them open so we can share pics and hope when folks see them they want to join.

If / when bandwidth becomes and issue and we have slow downs due to server over load or network bandwidth pic viewing by guests would be the first thing I turn off. For now it's a pic party for all. :beer:

If you quote a post which has a photobucket pic, the pic sometimes does not even show in the quote, or if it does show it's from photobucket since the pic was never uploaded to the server like we do when we upload attachments.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
See what I miss when I have to mow 4 acres of grass. LOL :yum:
We finally had some sunshine the past two days and the yard dried up enough to mow most of it.

Like BT and Andy said, I much prefer the pic be uploaded here onto NCT. That way we are not dependent on any other server to show off what we have.

A while back I opened up the pics so all could see most of the forums. At times I will turn it off to help entice folks to join ..but of late I'm leaving them open so we can share pics and hope when folks see them they want to join.

If / when bandwidth becomes and issue and we have slow downs due to server over load or network bandwidth pic viewing by guest would be the first thing I turn off. For now it's a pic party for all. :beer:

Awesome Doc! Thanks for the reply and explanation! Great job!! Cheers! :margarita: