Karma / Reps

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've been MIA a bit so maybe I missed it. Today when I look around, it seems the entire Karma / Reputation system is gone? I can't find a trace of it......no last reps receive in the User CP, no way to give reps in a post.

Is it gone, is this an April Fool's Joke, or is my PC/Browser really fried????

Oh well, at least it's neary 5PM!!! :drink2:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Yikes. I know it was here yesterday, because I gave someone some K. Doc? Does this mean we are doomed? (Hi Keltin - nice to see ya.)

buckytom

Grill Master
yup, it's gone. no info as to why yet.

hey, what do you serve at a karma party?

just desserts...

btw, good to see you back, k. you were missed.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Keltin, great to see you. :clap: :clap:

I turned them off on FF today trying to pull an april fools joke, but the members prefered them off ....so they are staying off (I had been considering that anyway and I was looking for a reaction). So they wanted them off on Net tractor talk too. So I've no turned em off on all the forums.

Thoughts on this please. Would you hate to see em go ?? love to see them go? or truly don't care one way or the other?

At times there have been little fights over them so I wonder if we are better off without them? I know that is the case on FF, maybe that is not the case here. What do you all think? I'll listen to all opinions and I'll make the final call. I know I won't please everyone but I'll try to do what I feel is best for NCT.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I forget about that feature most of the time, and don't really use it much, so I guess that I really don't care one way or the other. It would be nice to have a notification when someone gives you karma, and then it wouldn't be something that is so easily forgotten (maybe not possible though).

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
yup, it's gone. no info as to why yet.

hey, what do you serve at a karma party?

just desserts...

btw, good to see you back, k. you were missed.
HMMMMMMMMMM Bucky!! Have you been watching iCarly? LOL They had a Karma Just desserts party tonight.

Doc I like the reps as a way to send someone a little PRIVATE thought without having to use a PM.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I like it as well, but like Cooksie, I would really like it if you could get notification when someone sends you karma. Is that possible? I had an experience on the "other" board that was a little embarrassing. I didn't even know about karma - guess I wasn't paying attention, and then someone brought it to my attention. I checked my User CP and I had over a MILLION points. And I never got to thank most of the people who gave them to me....

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
With the current system that is not possible, and I agree, notification would be a big plus. I'll look around and see what karma / thanks hacks are available and whether or not they have notification.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Personally, I could stand to see it go.

It's no big deal really. If I'm really impressed, I can click on the user name and leave a VM, or even PM them, or, just respond to the thread so that everyone sees that I was impressed. Which might be better. Just come out in the open in front of everyone and say "Heck yeah, GREAT POST!!"

The karma system is cool, but without it, posting publicly would be the next step. And more posts are better, right?

I’ve got no problem either way. If I approve, I’ll karma you……but I will admit that Karma lends to me being lazy. If I give Reps / Karma, I’ll often move on and not post in a thread. Maybe it’s better without it so that we post more often and publicly. That way threads get extra life, and all members get to inadvertently learn more about each other by seeing what moves them.

Guts

Personally Doc, I do not miss it. I feel showing the number of posts is ridiculous. Who cares how many times you post or reply. I would vote for removing "Post: and the numbers" is this supposed to be some kind of status? One member has more post on the other. I don't see where this is any advantage to the board. Okay my disclaimer this is my opinion and solely my opinion...

vyapti

I like having the ability to comment on someone's post without clogging up a thread with "hey I like that" sort of posts. But I can live without it.

--WB Keltin.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I forget about it for the most part too, so if it's gone, I probably won't miss it much either.

buckytom

Grill Master
i like it simply as a quick and easy tool to say "great post" in a somewhat private way without having to clear out space in my mailbox to send a pm.:smile:

but if it goes, no big deal. i'll just won't be able to say great post or whatever as often when time is short.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
i like it simply as a quick and easy tool to say "great post" in a somewhat private way without having to clear out space in my mailbox to send a pm.:smile:

but if it goes, no big deal. i'll just won't be able to say great post or whatever as often when time is short.
Thats exactly how I feel.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

It's no big deal really. If I'm really impressed, I can click on the user name and leave a VM, or even PM them, or, just respond to the thread so that everyone sees that I was impressed. Which might be better. Just come out in the open in front of everyone and say "Heck yeah, GREAT POST!!"

The karma system is cool, but without it, posting publicly would be the next step. And more posts are better, right?

I’ve got no problem either way. If I approve, I’ll karma you……but I will admit that Karma lends to me being lazy. If I give Reps / Karma, I’ll often move on and not post in a thread. Maybe it’s better without it so that we post more often and publicly. That way threads get extra life, and all members get to inadvertently learn more about each other by seeing what moves them.

Thanks Keltin, I'm more in line with your way of thinking.

Thats exactly how I feel.

For me, it is much easier to hit the quick quote button which takes you to the the quick reply box and then just type +1 or colon agree colon = :agree: or type Thanks. This ups the forums post count and lets others know how you feel. Good for NCT and for the member. Or you can PM or VM but that sure does take more time.

The downside of reps is it becomes a popularity contest for some. And can be easily abused by a few. When a new member joins today, they can end up with 1000 rep points simply by one click from a senior member with high rep points. Folks here from the beginning had to earn their rep points 1 at a time because at that time everyone was even. As a forum ages the rep points get lope sided and some folks feel slighted and I have to agree, the playing field is not even for all. Nothing is perfect for sure, so I'm looking forward to more thoughts from you all on this.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks Keltin, I'm more in line with your way of thinking.

For me, it is much easier to hit the quick quote button which takes you to the the quick reply box and then just type +1 or colon agree colon = :agree: or type Thanks. This ups the post count and lets others know how your feel. Good for NCT and for the member. Or you can PM or VM but that sure does take more time.

The downside of reps is it becomes a popularity contest for some. And can be easily abused by a few. When a new member joins today, they can end up with 1000 rep points simply by one click from a senior member with high rep points. Folks here from the beginning had to earn their rep points 1 at a time because at that time everyone was even. As a forum ages the rep points get lope sided and some folks feel slighted and I have to agree, the playing field is not even for all. Nothing is perfect for sure, so I'm looking forward to more thoughts from you all on this.
It would be nice if we could keep the quick note feature and get rid of the points altogether. Vm is public but the rep note is quick and private.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter

:applause:
I don't miss it here, and I don't miss it on FF.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It would be nice if we could keep the quick note feature and get rid of the points altogether. Vm is public but the rep note is quick and private.
Some mentioned this over on FF, and it's an interesting idea. I do not believe that is an option at this time but I will look into it just to be sure.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Some mentioned this over on FF, and it's an interesting idea. I do not believe that is an option at this time but I will look into it just to be sure.
As an admin don't you have the right to make suggestions/requests to VBull?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm apparently missing something.

if I click on the author's name there's a drop down for "Send a private message to . . "
seem quite direct; I do hate the thirty-five-thousand mouse click 'functions' - like ALT-P would work in my world.

the "post rating" thing is perhaps good for recent members; especially on recipes - like, okay _looks_ good, how'd it taste? and there's not much better than first person pipples input.

however, I do agree on the thought that karma & rep type ratings can be more destructive / obstructive / astructive than constructive. it's not a black-white thing, but thinking back to an ugly situation about how 'valuable' a specific member was, when it goes bad, it can go really horrid.

frankly I don't have the time /energy / curiosity / desire / snoopiness to investigate every user's profile. but frankly I've not seen a lot in the karma nonsense that could not have been posted publicly - well, actually it is posted publicly, just does not show up on "New Posts"

I'm apparently missing something.

if I click on the author's name there's a drop down for "Send a private message to . . "
seem quite direct; I do hate the thirty-five-thousand mouse click 'functions' - like ALT-P would work in my world.

the "post rating" thing is perhaps good for recent members; especially on recipes - like, okay _looks_ good, how'd it taste? and there's not much better than first person pipples input.

however, I do agree on the thought that karma & rep type ratings can be more destructive / obstructive / astructive than constructive. it's not a black-white thing, but thinking back to an ugly situation about how 'valuable' a specific member was, when it goes bad, it can go really horrid.

frankly I don't have the time /energy / curiosity / desire / snoopiness to investigate every user's profile. but frankly I've not seen a lot in the karma nonsense that could not have been posted publicly - well, actually it is posted publicly, just does not show up on "New Posts"

I agree.

Doc, I appreciate your asking what features Members want (& the FB). How about a Poll?

ETA: Personally, I would like to see the VM gone. If members have something personal to say, the PM feature is available.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Just a couple statements / suggestions.

Reps / Karma will not allow you to go e recognition to the same member without "spreading.g it around". This leads to posts like "I can't give you k now, I will catch you when I can." If you rely want to thank that person you have to go give out reps elsewhere and come back. This seems to negate the time saving.

Reps / K are indeed private. Some seem to like that. Doc could the system be set to only give one point or better yet, no Lou.ya. just the message. That would accomplish the objectives people seem to want without the status thing.

Just my two cents.

Personally, I like the thanks button better.

buckytom

Grill Master
does anyone actually care how many re points they've accrued?

i don't think i've ever looked at my own points, let alone anyone else's.