Potato Ragout

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s an awesome potato dish that DW requests quite often. It’s got a vinegar “twang” to eat which is why we like it. If you don’t like the vinegar twang, consider cutting the vinegar and adding a dry red wine instead.

Potato Ragout

Ingredients:

8 slices of bacon
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
5 medium potatoes
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
3/4 cup beef broth
2 tbsp cider vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preparation:

Cut the bacon into 1/4-inch pieces. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes. In a large pot or Dutch Oven over medium heat, cook the bacon till done (brown and just beginning to crisp). Drain and reserve 3 tablespoons of bacon grease. Add bacon grease and onions to the pot and cook for 2 minutes, or until translucent but not brown.

Add the potatoes, garlic, and oregano, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir frequently to mix and coat all ingredients.

Add the beef broth, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the liquid absorbed. If the potatoes become tender before all the liquid is absorbed, then remove the lid to help evaporation. The potatoes should be fairly mushy, and all the liquid gone. Keep a close watch on this toward the end to avoid sticking and burning. During the last 3 or so minutes, you should stir the mixture frequently. If the liquid absorbs too quickly (potatoes aren’t tender), then simply add a bit more (can use broth or hot water).

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I revisited this tonight, and here are the pics.

Mise en place makes life so much easier!
Step_1-61.jpg

After the bacon is done, remove it, and reserve 1-2 Tbsp of the grease to sauté the onions in.
Step_2-60.jpg

Once the onions are soft, add all of the remaining ingredients except for the liquid. Stir a few times over high heat to coat well.
Step_3-53.jpg

Add the liquid, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer until the liquid is absorbed.
Step_4-48.jpg

Plate it and serve.
Step_5-41.jpg

And dig in!
Step_6-36.jpg

chowhound

Can't go wrong with potatoes, bacon and vinegar. Like German potato salad, but this looks more like a hash due to the cooking the liquid out... or "in" I guess (lol).
Nice recipe, K.

lesley

Here’s an awesome potato dish that DW requests quite often. It’s got a vinegar “twang” to eat which is why we like it. If you don’t like the vinegar twang, consider cutting the vinegar and adding a dry red wine instead.

Potato Ragout

Ingredients:

8 slices of bacon
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
5 medium potatoes
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
3/4 cup beef broth
2 tbsp cider vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preparation:

Cut the bacon into 1/4-inch pieces. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes. In a large pot or Dutch Oven over medium heat, cook the bacon till done (brown and just beginning to crisp). Drain and reserve 3 tablespoons of bacon grease. Add bacon grease and onions to the pot and cook for 2 minutes, or until translucent but not brown.

Add the potatoes, garlic, and oregano, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir frequently to mix and coat all ingredients.

Add the beef broth, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the liquid absorbed. If the potatoes become tender before all the liquid is absorbed, then remove the lid to help evaporation. The potatoes should be fairly mushy, and all the liquid gone. Keep a close watch on this toward the end to avoid sticking and burning. During the last 3 or so minutes, you should stir the mixture frequently. If the liquid absorbs too quickly (potatoes aren’t tender), then simply add a bit more (can use broth or hot water).

This sounds great Keltin...I'm wondering, maybe if I swop the cider vinegar for balsamic, what do you think? ( it would be less twang for me)..:idea:

Blues Man

Even though I am into smooth blues I like something with a good "twang" in it every once in a while! Sound Good...... (no pun intended)

Here’s an awesome potato dish that DW requests quite often. It’s got a vinegar “twang”

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This sounds great Keltin...I'm wondering, maybe if I swop the cider vinegar for balsamic, what do you think? ( it would be less twang for me)..:idea:

I love Balsamic, and think it would be great in this.....but the color would be a lot darker. Not a bad thing though.