Christmas Tragedy

Phiddlechik

A friend of our son's died yesterday, a snowboarding accident. He was coming down a black diamond run, and a mother and her 5 year old were sitting on the slope behind a hill. He struck them. The 5 year old died, too. The mother is hospitalized. No names were released, so we don't know who the girl or her mother are.
so tragic and sad.
Kind of subdued today.
Keep these families in your prayers.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
What a sad story. I am so sorry. Don't know how old your son is, but this is likely to be very hard for him. My son lost a friend to a motorcycle accident when he was 16. It turned our world upside down for quite a while. Terrible tragedy for both families.

Leni

So very sad. My prayers are with them. My 44 year old son had a police officer friend that he's known and respected since he was 12 years old die in a gas BBQ accident just last week. It really hit him hard. My thoughts are with both families and yours.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that sure is tragic. :eek:
Good thoughts and prayers for the families involved and for your son. So tough for sure.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm so sorry to hear this Phiddle, my prayers are going out to all whose lives have been touched by this terrible tragedy.

Phiddlechik

Thanks.
The mother is still in a coma, apparently, doesn't know that her daughter died.
Another child received her heart on Christmas Day.
Prayers for all the families.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear this sad news!

Thoughts and strength to all of you who have endure tragedy this holiday season.

Lee

Leni

What on earth possessed them to sit on a ski slope just below a ridge where they couldn't be seen? A tragedy just waiting to happen. So very very sad. Do you know anything about the father Phiddlechik? He's lost his daughter and possibly his wife. She may never be the same, poor thing. How is your son handling this?

Phiddlechik

After the snowboarder's funeral yesterday (son went), we were sitting at home and our daughter walked in, on the phone, crying. Another childhood friend had died in the early hours of the morning. suicide by hanging. Our son had just seen her hours earlier, had given her a hug.
total shock.
Then today, I found out that another friend was found dead in her home this morning. The gal was Mom's age, lived across the street and we grew up with them and their kids, same ages. Probably heart attack.
I am too numb right now.
and to top it off, had relatives for a couple of days and for some reason my sis-in-law is treating me like $h*t.
I need to breathe deep and count my blessings.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow. That is horrible.
I school friend of mine who is very successful in our town had her son hang himself right before Christmas. Even sadder this tore her husband up so much that he slit his wrists. So sad. Her husband is in the hospital. Guessing he'll recover since he's there but as of yet no word. I'm sure she is totally numb and about half crazy now. I can't comprehend how anyone could handle such events. Like you said Phiddle, count our blessings.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh PC, I am so sorry. Alot of losses in such a short time, for you and your children. Hold each other close tonight.

Deelady

What a heart breaking story :( Thoughts and prayers are definately with all.
What a bitter sweet gift for the receivers of the heart as well. One of those situations where faith and trust is a must in He that knows best.

Leni

How hard this must be on all the members of your family. Hold each other tight and just sit quietly and listen when someone needs to talk. I hope that this is the last of these very sad events.

Phiddlechik

Thanks. I guess we just gotta keep on living...
Kids got dressed up last night and went out with friends. That helps.

Attachments

• DSCN1742.jpg
    DSCN1742.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 151

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Handsome children, PC. I hope they gather some comfort from their friends. It takes alot of strength and courage to just "keep on living" sometimes. We've had a year of losses among our friends, and have witnessed some very brave people. Just love each other.

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm sorry for your losses, phid. my sympathies to all involved.

just to bring up a unfortunate point, your son's friend was at fault for both killing himself and an innocent 5 year old. a tragedy to be sure, but i hope your stress to your son and his friends what might happen when they ski or snowboard out of control, which includes going too fast over blind spots.

Last edited:

Leni

Both of you are correct. I skied in the days when you could leave your parka at the top of the hill and it'd still be there when you went to get it. We called those who skied too fast and out of control schussboomers and kept well away from them. We don't know if the friend was going too fast but for certain the lady and her daughter were in the wrong place.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
From kulr8.com:

Investigation continues into fatal Wyo. ski crash
Story Published: Dec 30, 2010 at 5:00 AM MST
Story Updated: Dec 30, 2010 at 5:00 AM MST

CASPER, Wyo. (AP) — The investigation into a collision that killed a snowboarder and a young skier on Casper Mountain continues.
Natrona County sheriff's Lt. Mark Sellers said Tuesday that investigators were still talking to people who saw the Christmas Eve collision at Hogadon Ski Area. So far, he said the crash which killed 23-year-old Craig Shirley and 5-year-old Elise Johnson appears to be an unfortunate accident.

Authorities say Elise Johnson and her mother had stopped on an advanced run to put the girl's skis on when Shirley crashed into them.

Witnesses have said Shirley was snowboarding at a high speed.

The Casper Star-Tribune says the Johnson family issued a statement urging people not to jump to conclusions and blame anyone for what happened.

Phiddlechik

Yes. It was an accident, unfortunate. Lots of "should haves."
But it doesn't make them less dead, nor my kids' and other family members' hearts less broken.
Thanks, Mama.
and yes, BTom, my kids are aware of the dangers and hazards.

buckytom

Grill Master
phid, my aplogies for having to drag this out thanks to mama and leni. :glare:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/year-girl-23-year-man-killed-wyoming-ski/story?id=12488111

please read the text as well as watch the video.

if you've ever had a loved one run over by an out of control snowboarder (an old gf received a concussion and stiches from one, and my wife has been run over as well. it took all of my strength not to beat the shit out of the little jerkoffs), or have been hit by one yourself (a few have bouced of my defensively placed elbows), you get the idea.

believe me, i haven't met a downhill i can't handle, except maybe the couloirs of blackcomb glacier, but that's it. i've skiied from killington, vermont, to breckenridge colorado, to mt. hood, oregon, to whistler/blackcomb, b.c., so i think i know a bit about speed; moguls are another story. my knees don't bounce anymore. but i can fly on a downhill, and in 22 years of skiing i've never run into anyone. EVER.

my guess is those who thought this was inappropriate to speak of during a true tragedy have never been affected by something like it and really should shut their yaps.

Last edited: