ISO Smoked ham recipes

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Smoked Ham shank was on sale for .99lb. SOOOOOO I cooked an 11 lb smoked ham shank yesterday and have plans to use the bone and some meat for pea soup and am interested in making beans and greens. I need a recipe.

TnT recipes for beans, beans and greens, soup anything with smoked ham would be wonderful. Thank you all in advance.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I have never made beans and fresh greens and hope someone can give me some tips/recipe and also a bean soup recipe. This is A LOT of ham!! LOL

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peeps, you could take a look at the two recipes in this post, and combine them. http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=211952&postcount=7

Although I served them separately in bowls the first time I had them, I combined them when I ate the leftovers. Excellent!

Also, I made this recipe awhile ago and added kielbasa, but it would be excellent with smoked ham. It was great! Redkitty on DC posted it first. The photo is mine.

You can substitute beans and greens of your choice. Kale is extremely good for you, but you might prefer the texture of other greens.

Lee

KALE & ADZUKI BEANS
Serve over brown rice or couscous

* 1 cup uncooked adzuki beans
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 6 cups roughly chopped kale
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/4 cup tamari
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* salt and pepper to taste

Soak the beans overnight in water, drain and rinse. Place adzuki beans in a medium saucepan with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 to 45 minutes, until tender. (If you don't soak them just cook for about 2 hours)

Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and saute garlic for couple minutes. Mix in kale and 2 tablespoons water. Season with tamari, cumin, and coriander. Thoroughly blend in adzuki beans. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer about 10-20 minutes, until kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper.

Sometimes I throw a pinch of cayenne pepper in.

Attachments

• Adzuki beans, kale and kielbasa.JPG
    Adzuki beans, kale and kielbasa.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 196

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps, you could take a look at the two recipes in this post, and combine them. http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=211952&postcount=7

Although I served them separately in bowls the first time I had them, I combined them when I ate the leftovers. Excellent!

Also, I made this recipe awhile ago and added kielbasa, but it would be excellent with smoked ham. It was great! Redkitty on DC posted it first. The photo is mine.

You can substitute beans and greens of your choice. Kale is extremely good for you, but you might prefer the texture of other greens.

Lee

KALE & ADZUKI BEANS
Serve over brown rice or couscous

* 1 cup uncooked adzuki beans
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 6 cups roughly chopped kale
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/4 cup tamari
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* salt and pepper to taste

Soak the beans overnight in water, drain and rinse. Place adzuki beans in a medium saucepan with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 to 45 minutes, until tender. (If you don't soak them just cook for about 2 hours)

Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and saute garlic for couple minutes. Mix in kale and 2 tablespoons water. Season with tamari, cumin, and coriander. Thoroughly blend in adzuki beans. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer about 10-20 minutes, until kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper.

Sometimes I throw a pinch of cayenne pepper in.
YUMMY Thank you!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Here are some hammy ideas:
Straw and Hay
Paglia e Fieno:

IMG_1010.jpg

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13603&highlight=straw

Potato Leek and Ham Soup
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/potato-and-leek-soup-recipe2/index.html
This a tweak on Emeril's recipe, adding ham:

blog-4.jpg

And I've got a navy bean soup recipe (Soupe A La Bretonne from Provincial French Cooking, Helge Rubinstein) that I've tweaked and made several times, and it's really good. You gotta like these little navy beans though:

Soakednavybeans.jpg

I don't have any pics of the finished soup, but I've made it several times. When I bought that pack of ham slices/pieces the other day, I also bought some navy beans with this recipe in mind. So maybe I'll have a pic in a few days. Gotta type the recipe out, so tomorrowwww, tomorrowww.

Basic Mustard Greens
http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11158&highlight=mustard+greens

Just switch out the ham hock for chopped ham:

3923228114_3058e4c4ca.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
OH MY LORD I'm in piggy heaven!! YUMMY!! Thank you so much!! I will be looking for the beans and ham recipe.

I have my pea soup going and I still have about 3 lbs of ham left!!

Last edited: