Anyone looking for work

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
There are a lot of people losing jobs at the moment.

Can we use this thread to think about them, and pray if we want.

SW is currently looking for a new contract as hers expires on 13th February. She is an IT contractor working through our own company.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My youngest son was laid off last week, 7 kids, 4 still at home. His wife works at WalMart so that won't keep them going very long if he can't find more full time work. I given him so odd jobs around here as well as a couple of tenant's said they could use him for some small jobs too. My other kids are all still working in pretty safe jobs so we will see.

I hope things work out for you Ray.

lilylove

I've pretty much given up finding anything around here... we're ok with that. We've adjusted and settled into a new way of doing things as my money was "extra" anyway. BUT it was sure nice to have. Paul (thank goodness) missed being laid off at Microsoft last month but...there's another round coming and you never know what will happen.

Good luck to your SW Mini! and to everyone else looking!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I hope it all turns out well Ray. You have my best wishes.

So far, my job is pretty steady. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I was gonna remark about your posting style (diction, format of the date, etc) and ask if you were perhaps in the UK....then I learned to read the info in your avatar banner and see that yes you are! :pat:

I’ve got some friends over in the UK. Well, I’ve never actually met them but we work together over the net on various projects. I love the way you guys talk over there!

Anyway, best of luck, and I’ll keep you our my prayers!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, currently in the UK - for the last 28 years. Before that I lived in Africa - real ex-coloniest. I must admit I sometimes misunderstand some of the posts because of our common language.

It is great to have friends all round the world through forums like these.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Have you seen a movie called “Doomsday” It’s sci-fi/horror, but pretty good. It was filmed in the UK with UK actors. I love the way they talk. It was cool seeing so many expressions I’ve only seen in emails up on the big screen. One that always made me smile was “Leg it”. I had written “run for it” and the UK proof readers changed it to “Leg it”. I loved seeing the guys in Doomsday running and screaming “LEG IT!!!!!”. Too cool.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
:)I've not seen that - I guess it's a bit like us listening for Americanisms.

Ronjohn

I'm gainfully employed in the Auto industry in Metro Detroit at the moment. So yes, I need to be looking. (And I am) :)

I've been living with the Sword of Damocles over my head for what, about 3 years now?

Best wishes for everyone who's looking

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I'm gainfully employed in the Auto industry in Metro Detroit at the moment. So yes, I need to be looking. (And I am) :)

I've been living with the Sword of Damocles over my head for what, about 3 years now?

Best wishes for everyone who's looking

oh i wish you the best of luck my friend... i know how the economy is in michigan...yikes!!!

My missus and i moved from Flint to Alpena in early July....I moved back home to Sault,Ontario before Christmas to get things rolling up here...Had to leave Michigan to find gainful employment, sure hated to leave there...

PanchoHambre

I was laid off for 3 months this summer and feel VERY lucky to have found a new job. Holding out for now but my work is tied to construction so it is scary

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
My best wishes to anyone looking for a job, lets hope things start to turn up soon and this stimulus package works better than hoped.
DW is out today doing dormant pruning for some clients. So far the only thing to suffer in her business is new garden installations. Down by 50% from last year in terms of pre-ordered. However, she may have just picked a large one up, so I have my fingers crossed.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I was laid off for 3 months this summer and feel VERY lucky to have found a new job. Holding out for now but my work is tied to construction so it is scary

Funny I was a union sheet metal worker for years and got tired of either feast of famine times. I simply quit, went back to school and leaned a new trade, systems analyst and computer programming. Now I'm semi retired and own part interest in the place I work now. They will remove me from here on a stretcher other wise I'm not going. To this day I hate Christmas due to the years my kids where growing up I was laid off in November and not rehired till February.

Rob Babcock

I did the same, JoeC. Spent my whole life basically in the kitchen; started as a disher and worked my way up to exec chef. But about a year and a half ago I made the difficult decision to start over and returned to school to study computers. My heart is still in cooking but after crunching the numbers it just doesn't make sense any more. Mostly I'm just not sure I'll physically be able to the job in 15 years and I'm not really interested in taking the next step up (eg GM, going corporate). The clincher is that when I quit college back in '89 I promised myself I'd go back eventually; well, I ain't getting any younger and felt I was running out of 'eventually.'

That said, I did just accept a job in the kitchen- going to do an opening for the company I used to chef for. I'm pretty excited; like I said, I still love the commercial kitchen. Probably a year or two down the road I'll be pretty much forced to take a part time job in the computer field, help desk or whatever, just to get experience for when I graduate. Til then I'm happy cooking.:chef:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
DW has got a new contract - working for Great Ormond Street Hospital.