How do you cook your turkey?

How are you cooking your turkey?

• Total voters

SilverSage

Resident Crone
There are so many ways......

I wanted to try deep frying it this year, but I got voted down. I think I may cut it up a bit and cook the breast separate from the dark meat. The theory is that you can cook the dark meat longer without drying out the breast. But I still haven't made up my mind.

How do you do it or plan to do it?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
"something else"

This year we're going to smoke the turkey along with some salmon for Thanksgiving hors d oeuvres.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Unstuffed with herb butter under the skin for the last 4 years.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I voted for Traditional, but I do like to have the dark meat well done without drying out the white meat. And I detest the texture of brined poultry.

So, the last time I cooked a turkey, injected it with a Creole Butter marinade (mainly for flavor) then I set it, breast side down, in a pan of ice for an hour, outside of the fridge. This brought down the temperature of the breast meat significantly. Then I stuffed the bird, and roasted it, breast side UP, the traditional way.

It was PERFECT.

Hmmm, guess that isn't really traditional, huh?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Gonna Brine and Roast this yer per DW's dema......uh, request. :lol:

Smoked it last year, and fried it the 2 years before that.

Was gonna fry this year, but the Oven here is new, and she is dying to try it out on something big like a turkey.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
And I detest the texture of brined poultry.
Lee

not sure what your brining it in but the texture of my brined turkeys turns out the same as unbrined.

as for method for me...

i have smoked,smoked then grilled.traditional.injected, marinated brined deboned and stuffed.

Last year we had turducken..everybody has to try this at least once in their lives..lol

20r2ufp.jpg

2csh205.jpg

vyapti

I mix the tofu and wheat gluten with a blend of poultry spices, oil and water, knead it, form it into a tube shape, wrap it in foil, steam it, bake it, then slice it thinly for Black Friday after sandwiches.

I voted something else . . . we're having enchiladas for thanksgiving.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I mix the tofu and wheat gluten with a blend of poultry spices, oil and water, knead it, form it into a tube shape, wrap it in foil, steam it, bake it, then slice it thinly for Black Friday after sandwiches.

I voted something else . . . we're having enchiladas for thanksgiving.

when we were younger, we never really had the turkey tradition for thanksgiving..we usually made roast beef or lasagna because Xmas & new years was so close..we either had turkey on xmas and ham on new years..

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bam, I just used a basic salt water brines with a few spices, following TNT brining recipes and times from other people who loved them.

I tried two chickens and one turkey.

All three birds were more watery, more mushy meat, with less poultry flavor, than my regular roasted birds.

Each to her own!

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Bam, I just used a basic salt water brines with a few spices, following TNT brining recipes and times from other people who loved them.

I tried two chickens and one turkey.

All three birds were more watery, more mushy meat, with less poultry flavor, than my regular roasted birds.

Each to her own!

Lee

easy solution for that, dont leave your poultry in the brine so long..usually ends up with salty mushy bird.

http://www.3men.com/competition chicken.htm

some helpful times and guidelines here

http://www.dougthecook.com/articles/all-about-brining.htm

goatherder

I am brining and roasting an 8 pound chicken. It is a back yard raised bird and may be a bit tougher than store bought birds. I have been very pleased with poultry I have brined in the past, and dh really appreciates moist meat.

Ronjohn

After I get the turkey out of the refrigerator in the garage, I put the tray on the stove and tell my wife.. "Here you go".

Then I go watch football. Or at least the Detroit Lions.

:hide2:

mhend

Well, I don't like turkey. :) I've never cooked one. My aunt cooks one every year, but I just feast on the veggies instead.

lilylove

Roasted and stuffed with a bread and veggie stuffing. BUT, I'd much rather have a nice ham. Not cooking either this year. Mom gets the honor and the dishes! :)

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Last year I wraped the turkey in foil and put it outdoors on the grill and it came out so delicious. I thought of doing it again this year but will more than likely do the traditional roasting this year unless I suddenly have a change in mind.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I voted for Traditional, but I do like to have the dark meat well done without drying out the white meat. And I detest the texture of brined poultry.

So, the last time I cooked a turkey, injected it with a Creole Butter marinade (mainly for flavor) then I set it, breast side down, in a pan of ice for an hour, outside of the fridge. This brought down the temperature of the breast meat significantly. Then I stuffed the bird, and roasted it, breast side UP, the traditional way.

It was PERFECT.

Hmmm, guess that isn't really traditional, huh?

Lee

I took some of your advice, Lee. I iced down the breast meat for about 45 minutes before I stuffed and roasted it.

Then I started it in the oven breast side down for the first 30-40 minutes. finished it breast side up. It was the moistest turkey I've ever cooked! Thanks for the hint.

After I get the turkey out of the refrigerator in the garage, I put the tray on the stove and tell my wife.. "Here you go".

Then I go watch football. Or at least the Detroit Lions.

:hide2:

While it was roasting, we watched the Lions pretend to play football.