Peeled Garlic?

High Cheese

Saucier
Along with boiling water for pasta, I can't stand peeling garlic. We use garlic in just about everything, not always alot, but at least a clove or two since we cook alot of International food.

It can't be all that bad...can it?

Give it a good smack with the back of your knife & your fist. The peel(s) come right off. You could oven-roast a whole head, or buy the minced garlic in a jar. Ick. lol

I'm not fond of peeling & chopping onions.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I do something similar. I cut off the bottom of the clove and half the peel usually lifts off and the rest comes off easily.

The grocery stores by me sell a small jar with ready peeled whole garlic cloves in it. You could try that, no work at all.

High Cheese

Saucier
Yeah...lol....I'm pretty good at peeling it.

I'm just trying to speed things along a little and keep the peel mess off my cutting board.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You could get a garlic press. Cooks Illustrated rated this one very highly. It can handle multiple, unpeeled cloves at a time. When pressing unpeeled cloves, you'll have to clean out the skins between pressings to avoid clogging the holes.

At an Asian market, I bought a huge jug of peeled garlic. It was a 16 or 32 oz jug of peeled garlic, and came in a tall plastic bottle/jug with a screw on top similar to the 16 oz jugs of spice you can get from McCormick's. It was pretty cool, but I simply didn't use garlic that quickly, and most of it went bad. Peeled garlic doesn't hold up as well as fresh un-peeled does. Maybe breaking it down into individual vacuum sealed bags for freezing would have been better?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Epicurean-Garlic-Press/dp/B0000CD0HX"]<link to press>[/ame]

Oops. Actually, I pound the knife with the side of my hand. I have a metal/silver kitchen gadget (can't think of the name), used to scoop up pastry/pie dough. Put a couple of cloves under it, & smack away. lol.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I have one of those little pliable plastic tube things that you put the garlic cloves into and rub them around and the peelings come off very easy. But it's too much trouble to look for it, so I just separate the cloves, hold my big chef's knife over the top of them, and whack it with my fist. The peel then slips right off. Here's a link that explains it better than I can:http://www.ochef.com/355.htm

mhend

I do the same, just whack it with my knife and fist, and just deal with the mess. Wish there was a way around it. :)

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Jay knows how to peel garlic. That isn't the problem. The problem is he doesn't like to do it. He doesn't like the plethora of garlic skins that scatter like tumble weeds across the cutting board as they madly make a dash for freedom.

Can't blame him, I hate that crap too. :lol:

That's why a jug of peeled garlic is so enticing. But unfortunately, I found the peeled stuff doesn't hold up as long as the unpeeled stuff.

If you use a lot of garlic, you could probably get through a smaller container of peeled garlic like this one.

http://blujay.com/?page=ad&adid=3368689&cat=11070200

But that huge jug I bought at the Asian market was just too much (but it was cheap and hard to pass up!). I should probably have tried freezing some of it. I wonder if garlic freezes well?

As far as fresh versus peeled, the peeled tasted every bit as good as the fresh did. I couldn't tell a difference.

Karen, is this the tube device you have? It sounds wonderful! Does it work???? If so, you could probably sit down once a week and peel a whole head of garlic and store it in the fridge for quick use through the week.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/id/126667.do?affsrcid=Aff0001&mr:trackingCode=2770AEDC-D781-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin said:
Karen, is this the tube device you have?

Yes, that's exactly it. Mine is green. And it really does work. It's just easier to whack the few cloves of garlic I'm needing at the time than to dig for it. It has never occurred to me to just set aside a few minutes and peel a week's worth. I LOVE IT. Thanks, Keltin! Jay - this could be your answer!!!

K

Kimchee

Those Debbie Meyer Green bags will extend the life of peeled garlic fairly well; at least a week or two. :)
(And my local Kroger's has a pile of the bags on markdown for $2.99, reg. $8.99. I have 5 packs stored up, LOL!)

I'm not a monster fan of garlic peeling either, and often HAVE to peel it, because I like
super thinly sliced garlic in some of my dishes. The smashed ones wont' work for that.

After you are done, wet your hands, then rub them on your stainless steel sink walls
or sink spigot to get rid of the wonderful garlic aroma.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
After you are done, wet your hands, then rub them on your stainless steel sink walls
or sink spigot to get rid of the wonderful garlic aroma.

This leads to another question. We've all seen those stainless pods you use to remove the garlic smell. An we've probably all remembered to do the "sink rub" occasionally. But does anyone know the science behind this? Why does rubbing your hands on stainless steel remove the garlic odor? :confused: Or does anyone have a thoery I could believe? :confused:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Along with boiling water for pasta, I can't stand peeling garlic. We use garlic in just about everything, not always alot, but at least a clove or two since we cook alot of International food.

It can't be all that bad...can it?

Christopher's Ranch sells a very servicable peeled garlic clove. I use it at work, comes in a 1/2 gallon size. They sell a smaller, home friendly size as well.

I do not care for preminced garlic, but this peeled garlic is naked, no oil, no preservatives.

GotGarlic

Yeah...lol....I'm pretty good at peeling it.

I'm just trying to speed things along a little and keep the peel mess off my cutting board.

I took a tip from Rachael Ray and started keeping a mixing bowl (not one of her $15 garbage bowls) on the counter when I'm prepping food, to catch the stems, peels and other stuff.

loboloco

I solved the problem by not peeling the cloves one time. Now my wife refuses to let me touch the garlic. She insists on cutting and peeling it for me.

buckytom

Grill Master
the "whacking with a knife" thing doesn't work if you want whole or sliced garlic, rather than chopped or minced.

i like to slice garlic rather than mince it when at all possible (of course some recipe require minced) so i can control how much it toasts. minced seems to go from just starting to brown to overcooked in no time.

also, i've found older garlic peels easier than the fresh stuff, and it's sulphur profile mellows as it ages. unfortunately, so does it's sweetness.

High Cheese

Saucier
Jay knows how to peel garlic. That isn't the problem. The problem is he doesn't like to do it. He doesn't like the plethora of garlic skins that scatter like tumble weeds across the cutting board as they madly make a dash for freedom.

Christopher's Ranch sells a very servicable peeled garlic clove. I use it at work, comes in a 1/2 gallon size. They sell a smaller, home friendly size as well.

I do not care for preminced garlic, but this peeled garlic is naked, no oil, no preservatives.

Thanks alot! That's what I was looking for. I don't need a huge restaurant size container...just like a pint container would work.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Place garlic cloves in the microwave for 15 seconds and the skins slip right off.
A little birdie told me that.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i get both cloves & pre-minced~. i'm into the way i learned ages ago & that yins mentioned: take my Chef's knife, whack, trim, (then get 2 'mincin.) garlic presses ain't 4 me....... or gimmacky devices.

Vanessa

I use a wooden "Mushroom" for mine - a quick bash and then a roll and I find it peels pretty easily, though sometimes with a few bits to pick out.
What I used to love was chopping/slicing onions, but my wrists/thumbs are often painful now and I'm more prone to slipping and slicing something painful!

Leni

I just lay the flat of my knife on the clove and then give it a good hit. The skin just lifts off and it ready to mince or dice.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I only whack the cloves when I want to mince the garlic. But when I want to slice the clove its a pain in the but removing the skin.

buckytom

Grill Master
welcome vanessa.

i've always liked that name, btw.

have you tried using a different kind of knife when chopping garlic or other veg? i've found a rocking type of chef's blade with a lot of belly puts much different pressure on your wrist than does a flatter sankotu.

just a thought.