Favourite Chicken Part Poll

What's your favourite part of the chicken?

• Total voters

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
What's your favourite part of the chicken? Just one guess, because, really..only one thing can be a favourite, yes?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
For some reason, I love the wings. Always have.
I think it's because they are fun to eat :D

SilverSage

Resident Crone
This is tough. I love the thighs for braises and other slow-cooked dishes. But my usual cooking style is a quick saute and a deglazed pan. Dinner can be on the table in 15 minutes, and there's no oven heating up the kitchen (Florida, remember). Only the breast works for this, so I picked breast.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Funny - none of the guys have posted here yet. Are they afraid to admit whether they're breast men or leg men? :sorry:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
LOL! I asked one of my sons one day if they are a breast or a leg man and he looked at me in mock horror and cried "I have to choose"???

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
It's always been all about the wing for me...Tender and as Sass says, fun. Just a fun to be with piece of chicken.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
It's always been all about the wing for me...Tender and as Sass says, fun. Just a fun to be with piece of chicken.
Goes for turkey with me as well.
No one dares or ever dared to touch a turkey wing around the holidays.
They are mine alllll mine! ;)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i love the wings when a garlic/butter sauce is a component; otherwise i won't argue that many components of a chix may be considered great!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
If Marianne was posting...she's pick the skin. I know she loves wings, but there is no one who could make a meal of chicken skin like my mother can.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I picked SKIN!

I and love the wings because the skin-to-meat ratio is so much higher than with any other part!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
If Marianne was posting...she's pick the skin. I know she loves wings, but there is no one who could make a meal of chicken skin like my mother can.
If my Aunt Rosemary were posting, she'd pick the skin too.
She used to say she felt sad after picking the skin off KFC extra crispy, because the rest of it wasn't just like it.. then she said "that's why I am so fat":yum:
God I love her lol

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Breasts. I prefer white meat. Mostly I get the Sam's Club multi-packs. The breasts are huge so I assume the meat is full of chemicals and the chix never saw the light of day.

As long as I'm on the topic of large breasts, I really like double dipped drummies at Hooters.

GotGarlic

I can :wink: I picked skin, but it has to be *really* crispy. I've been known to tell people that leftover chicken skin (i.e., that on leftover chicken) will go bad overnight (as in, get flabby) so it needs to be eaten right away. By me. I've also been known to take less than perfectly crisped skin and finish it in the toaster oven.

Next fave is drumsticks.

K

Kimchee

I picked thigh too, but if it's fried, anything but the breast will do.
I really like the back section cuz it has lots of pieces parts to gnaw on.

Lefty

Yank
While I am definetly a leg man, breast on the chicken is my favorite, wings are a close second. My choice of breast comes from the versatility of the ways it can be prepared.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Had to go with thighs, although wings are a close second. Thighs I picked because of the many ways you can prepare them. I love to bone the thighs, chop the meat, and then do a fast stir-fry. That is some of the best, juiciest, tender chicken you've ever had. Texture and taste completely change when you do that. Or batter the chopped meat and fry it tempura style, or grilled kebabs, or grill them whole, or braise them, or fry them, or chicken and dumplings, or chicken dressing, or......man, I'm getting hungry! :lol:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I picked thigh too, but if it's fried, anything but the breast will do.
I really like the back section cuz it has lots of pieces parts to gnaw on.

That's where the 'oyster' is. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned that wonderful part.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That's where the 'oyster' is. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned that wonderful part.

When I break down a whole chicken, I always make sure to dip down and cut out the oyster when I'm cutting the leg quarters off. Its a must!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Mmmk, someone clue this culinary ditz in.. what's the oyster?

It's a round/oblong nugget of meat located on the back of the chicken at the tip of the thigh between the thigh and the wing. The backbone there dips in like a spoon (albeit a deep spoon), and this nugget of meat resides in that little pit.

Not really sure what that particular muscle does, but it's very tender (seems it doesn't get used much), flavorful, and juicy, and it's easy to miss. When cutting a thigh from the bird, you have to make a concentrated effort to dip your knife down into that little pocket to cut away the oyster or you'll miss it.

Sometimes I'll leave the oyster on the back and simply cut the thigh away clean. I also cut the breast away clean so that they are boneless and skinless - this leaves the wishbone intact and in place. Then I'll cut out both oysters and the wish bone and sauté them quickly in a pan with some butter, salt, and pepper. Awesome little treat for the work you did breaking down the chicken!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_oyster

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
It's a round/oblong nugget of meat located on the back of the chicken at the tip of the thigh between the thigh and the wing. The backbone there dips in like a spoon (albeit a deep spoon), and this nugget of meat resides in that little pit.

Not really sure what that particular muscle does, but it's very tender (seems it doesn't get used much), flavorful, and juicy, and it's easy to miss. When cutting a thigh from the bird, you have to make a concentrated effort to dip your knife down into that little pocket to cut away the oyster or you'll miss it.

Sometimes I'll leave the oyster on the back and simply cut the thigh away clean. I also cut the breast away clean so that they are boneless and skinless - this leaves the wishbone intact and in place. Then I'll cut out both oysters and the wish bone and sauté them quickly in a pan with some butter, salt, and pepper. Awesome little treat for the work you did breaking down the chicken!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_oyster

:yum: thank you!
Now I know what you and Vera were on about lol

While I was looking for other pics of the oyster, I ran across this.

Think I'll bookmark it.. lots of cool info..

http://www.learninghowtocook.com/ph...to-pictorial-steps-Chicken-Breaking-Down.html