Appetizers served in ceramic/porcelain spoons?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie's photo of her new Asian dishes and spoons reminded me of this question.

I've seen pictures of appetizers, single-bite things, presented on those Asian soup spoons. I think that's a neat idea, but I don't remember what was on them.

What kinds of things would go on the spoons?

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
An amuse-bouche.

Actually, they're soup spoons. I've seen them used to hold a sauce for dipping. Also for chutney/salsa type stuff along side the entree.

Last edited:
Some examples:

Amuse bouche - strawberries & Mascarpone. (This was my avatar for awhile.) You can get as creative as you like.

This would be an appetizer - Avocado & crab timbale:

Appetizer - Stuffed artichoke (Many bites)

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Birds Nest Soup

Birds_Nest_Soup.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Found reading this very interesting-

I have heard American children call this a "boat spoon". It does look a little like a boat. The Chinese soup spoon is more of a ladle than a spoon. It has a flat bottom and steeply angled walls, and it holds a good mouthful of soup. It holds quite a bit more than your average Western soup spoon. In a way, it's a sort of one-sip soup bowl that you can pick up and hold to your lips.

More importantly, it holds one xiao3-long2-bao1 (also known as a "soupy bun"), and catches all the juice that bursts forth when you take your first bite.

shanghai-and-taipei-nov-dec-2009-1473.jpg

It's also useful for rescuing sunken treasures from the sargasso sea of your Cantonese wonton soup or Vietnamese pho. It is true that the angles between the flat bottom and the sides make it hard to lick clean in one sweep, but that means you get to lick several times and have more fun.

If the waiter tells you they don't have Chinese spoons, he evidently doesn't want your business. Put your money on the table, get up, and leave without further words. There is no point in making a scene, really. Life is too short for arguing about things that are obvious to everyone, and the need for a Chinese spoon is assuredly one of those.

Most Chinese spoons that I have seen are ceramic or sturdy plastic, suitable for lifting the heaviest objects you are likely to encounter in your soup. You can also find them in stainless steel, styrofoam, flimsy plastic (o beware of accidents!), and no doubt many other substances.

http://everything2.com/title/Chinese+spoon

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ooooh - I just bought a bunch of these spoons! My girlfriend came here to stay for a few days and we went to Chinatown in Houston. It's HUGE, and had a lot of grocery stores. They were amazing! I bought all sorts of stuff, including those spoons and some big soup bowls for my Ramen-loving boys. I am definitely going back before I leave to go home to San Antonio.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Ooooh - I just bought a bunch of these spoons! My girlfriend came here to stay for a few days and we went to Chinatown in Houston. It's HUGE, and had a lot of grocery stores. They were amazing! I bought all sorts of stuff, including those spoons and some big soup bowls for my Ramen-loving boys. I am definitely going back before I leave to go home to San Antonio.

Terry!!!!!!!