Appetizer vs. "amuse bouche"?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Technically, an amuse-bouche should be a single bite, and you serve just one to a person. The french translates to "mouth tease".

An hors d'eouvre can be a little bigger (2-3 bites max), but people get to help themselves to as many as they wish. They are finger (or toothpick) foods.

An appetizer can be a little larger, and people receive a larger portion at the table. They usually require silverware of some sort.

In real life, the latter two terms tend to be used interchangeably. But amuse-bouche is still only used for that single bite.

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
agreed, ss. amuse bouche are often served in a spoon or on some other kind of single serve utensil.

i often see them served in what appear to be asian style soup spoons.

06-2512-180.jpg

hey, where would you put tapas in the list? it's really a meal in itself, of small portions.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, SS!

I use the word "appetizer" instead of "hors d'eouvres" because I can't remember how to spell the latter. I love finger food!

I am also curious about tapas. I haven't been to a tapas restaurant yet, but it's on my list!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Tapas restaurants are fun with a group of people. That way you get to try more things. When 2 of us go, we only get to try a couple dishes. But it's very important to go with friends who share your sense of adventure.

Five of us went to a tapas place in Sarasota one evening. One doesn't eat seafood, one doesn't like spicy, someone doesn't like something else. It really limited the experience. There were several things we wanted to try , but didn't, because someone said "I don't like that".

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SS, good info!

Why, when only two of you go, do you only get to sample a couple of dishes? The size of the portions or the cost of each?

When only two of us go to a Chinese restaurant, we order what we want and take the rest home.

Lee