Our friend John has lost his battle

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
John ended his journey here very quietly at 4:30 am on July 7. He had been at home, receiving palliative care, for nearly two weeks. His wife Lisa was at his side. I know that many of you had been praying for John, and I thank you.

John was a strong and bright spirit, and his lovely wife Lisa is so exhausted and sad from this long illness, which began on May 18. There was some hope in the beginning, when John was first diagnosed with bacterial meningitis, but one complication after another occurred, and there was finally no hope for a recovery.

I was in the grocery store this afternoon, and a beautiful butterfly followed me up and down every aisle, swirling around me as I walked. I'm choosing to believe that it was John, just showing off a bit.

Thank you again for all your support.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
My best to your friend Lisa and God give her strength.

You have a fine heart, Karen.

Buzz

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love that the butterfly was the spirit of John, Karen. I choose to believe that as well!

Thoughts and strength sent to you and your friend, Lisa.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Like Lee, I do believe that we receive signs of those departed when we've worried and cared about them and their loved ones so much.
That was really touching, Karen.
All good things for Lisa for a quick and healing process through her grief and bless you Karen for being there for them.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I wish John the rest he deserves among those friends that have proceeded him.

I wish Lisa comfort and closure.

May that butterfly check in on her from time to time.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks so much to all of you for your kind and comforting words. Lisa is strong, and will reluctantly move forward with the next phase of her life. But she and John had a wonderfully happy marriage, and she will miss him always. It's so hard to figure out why these things happen to such good people.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear it Karen and my condolences to his family and friends.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Well, here is an interesting twist on the butterfly. Lisa and her daughter were here for dinner tonight, and I told her about the butterfly. She burst out crying. While John lay dying, she asked him to come back as a butterfly to let her know that he was OK. A black butterfly with orange bars...exactly like the one who shepherded me through the market. Life is full of wonderful mysteries.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Well, here is an interesting twist on the butterfly. Lisa and her daughter were here for dinner tonight, and I told her about the butterfly. She burst out crying. While John lay dying, she asked him to come back as a butterfly to let her know that he was OK. A black butterfly with orange bars...exactly like the one who shepherded me through the market. Life is full of wonderful mysteries.
Indeed it is.
Karen, I have witnessed the same in my work with patients and with losing family members. Now it's not so unusual for me, but I do still get a little freaked out, depending on the circumstances.

They go to another place and we can't see them as such any longer, but they(not always) let us know in some way that they are OK.
When it happens, it's a blessing and comfort.

Meme4251

I'm also, very sorry for the passing of your good friend. My thoughts and prayers are coming yall's way for you, Lisa, family and friends.....

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about John.

My condolences to you and his family.

Jim

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks again to all of you for your comforting words. We put Lisa and her daughter on a plane for Colorado this morning, to spend some time with old friends and family. She'll return in a few weeks to ponder the next steps in her life. If you have someone you love close to you, turn around right now and give him or her a hug. Be grateful. We just never know what lies around the corner, do we?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks again to all of you for your comforting words. We put Lisa and her daughter on a plane for Colorado this morning, to spend some time with old friends and family. She'll return in a few weeks to ponder the next steps in her life. If you have someone you love close to you, turn around right now and give him or her a hug. Be grateful. We just never know what lies around the corner, do we?
Good advice Karen. I'm sorry to hear about your friend John. I've been on a boating vacation (still am until next week) so I'm a little late to this thread. Sorry about that.
I wish your friend Lisa good luck in the next phase of her life. It's never easy but you must move on.