• Cheese

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chili

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

chowhound

It's easier for me to say what I don't put on them. No mustard and no mayo.
The most common would be gravy, followed by catsup or vinegar.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OK, I voted catsup but I was wondering because I saw people in France eating them with mayo. In fact, they didn't even have catsup packets at a McDonald's in Antibes. The I found out there is a dish in Canada that is made of french fries, gravy, cheese curds, and other stuff I think. (It starts with a p but I can't remember the name.) Where have I been all my life? I thought nobody ate french fries with anything but catsup.

Lefty, what kind of vinegar do you put on yours? Is it malt vinegar (like at Long John Silver's)?

buckytom

Grill Master
i wanted to vote for everything except mustard, although i would try it if that's all there was.

as for mayos, no plain mayo but i've had flavored ones that were good on fries.

i also like tsatsiki sauce on them, mixed with ketchup.

can you ever get enough malt vinegar on a french fry?

chowhound

1000 Island dressing is also good!

It is?! I was trying to come up with a use for thousand island dressing while I was at the store today. They had five bottles of Kraft for $1. My desire to purchase a great deal did not overcome my having absolutely no idea what I would do with five bottles of a dressing I don't use though.....

Lefty

Yank
OK, I voted catsup but I was wondering because I saw people in France eating them with mayo. In fact, they didn't even have catsup packets at a McDonald's in Antibes. The I found out there is a dish in Canada that is made of french fries, gravy, cheese curds, and other stuff I think. (It starts with a p but I can't remember the name.) Where have I been all my life? I thought nobody ate french fries with anything but catsup.

Lefty, what kind of vinegar do you put on yours? Is it malt vinegar (like at Long John Silver's)?
Yes, sometime malt, sometimes red wine, with some sea salt.

Lefty

Yank
I have been to a bar and grill in Portland that has some really great chili fries. Nothing like an ice cold brew and some chili fries to watch a game with.

High Cheese

Saucier
It is?! I was trying to come up with a use for thousand island dressing while I was at the store today. They had five bottles of Kraft for $1. My desire to purchase a great deal did not overcome my having absolutely no idea what I would do with five bottles of a dressing I don't use though.....

Reubens!

suziquzie

Usually ketchup but if I'm giving the kids chicken nuggets with them, I will plop some mayo next to the BBQ sauce and drag them thru both.
Yummy!!!

chowhound

mmm, I love reubens. Never made one though. This would give me lots of practice ;^)

And BT, I have no doubt something is "iffy" with them.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Malt Vinegar is my first choice and some times I will use a bit of ketchup. When I make them myself I spice them up and the vinegar sets them off perfectly.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I mix a five-to-one ratio of ketchup and Sriracha Chili sauce (green top)

I sometimes serve them this way at cookouts- Garbage Fries;
The Fries smothered in Chili, topped with a mexican three-cheese blend, shreeded, sliced scallions, rough-chopped green peppers, Salsa, Sour Cream, Sliced Black olives, and sliced Jalapeno's.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I never used to have anything (occasionally chilli sauce) until I sprent time in Belgium and got introduced to frites with mayo. Never looked back. The crisp, hot, salty fries with the cool creamy mayo - match made near heaven.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

I LOVE Rubens.... well, actually Rachels

P1010760.JPG

P1010761.JPG

P1010762.JPG

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Mostly ketchup, but on occasion Mayo as well. Also, a big plate of Chili-Cheese fries is awesome.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
There may be some regional differences, but to me, a Reuben is made with sauerkraut and a Rachel is made with coleslaw. Otherwise, they're the same sandwich, but, obviously, that's a pretty big difference. :)

Deelady

If I'm topping my fries I like to top them with a good feta cheese......if I'm just dipping fries, ranch dressing!:thumb::thumb:

chowhound

Oh yeah, babe.... ranch dressing on thick potato wedges with lots of steak seasoning on them..... heaven.

Deelady

They are sliced potatos that are battered then deep fried with either ranch drizzled on top or cheddar cheese sauce drizzled on top! Served at the Del Mar Fair in San Diego.......warning do NOT attempt to eat these alone!!! :D :D