How Would You Cook/Flip This Giant Burger?

I like the idea of this giant (Mexican) burger served in a round bread loaf. Would like to serve it topped with guacamole or sliced avocados & pico de gallo. Thinking the burger will fall apart when flipping/turning on the grille. Perhaps I could prep the buger in a cake pan in the oven, drain the fat & turn it over. What would your cooking/flipping approach be? tia

Here's the general idea:

http://www.landolakes.com/mealideas/ViewRecipe.cfm?RecipeID=4601B

Phiddlechik

If you are going to grill it, you might want to take an old pizza pan (or got to the dollar store and buy two), punch a bunch of holes in them, then grill it on top of one, then put the other one on top and flip it....

GotGarlic

You could also cook it on the grill in a cast-iron pan, then loosen it from the pan, put a plate on top of the pan (bottom-side up), and flip the pan and plate so that the uncooked side of the burger is now down on the plate. Then slide it off the plate back onto the grill.

buckytom

Grill Master
that sort of reminds me of part of a survival course i took many years ago. everyone was issued a pound of ground beef, a pocket knife, and a blanket and were dropped off a few miles apart in a mountainous area. the idea was to build a shelter, get water and fire, and cook the meat somehow, living off of it for 2 days.

i made a giant burger and cooked it on a piece of slate rock on the coals of my first night's fire. i heated a second piece of slate, then put it in top to help it cook through because there was no way to flip it.

and boy, i really could have used the guacomole to help cover up the gritty bits.

Great suggestons! I especially like the pizza tray idea. I should have mentioned I want to cook it indoors, as I only have an indoor grille.. Oops. But, if I do a cookout, will keep them in mind.

Did I mention I want to add cheese, & maybe some bacon? ;-) Think it would make for an interesting/unique party or 4th of July dish. Thanks for the input. :a1:

that sort of reminds me of part of a survival course i took many years ago. everyone was issued a pound of ground beef, a pocket knife, and a blanket and were dropped off a few miles apart in a mountainous area. the idea was to build a shelter, get water and fire, and cook the meat somehow, living off of it for 2 days.

i made a giant burger and cooked it on a piece of slate rock on the coals of my first night's fire. i heated a second piece of slate, then put it in top to help it cook through because there was no way to flip it.

and boy, i really could have used the guacomole to help cover up the gritty bits.[/QUOTE]

:yuk::no: