Sorry I haven't been around much lately...

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
...despite my intent to return to this great community. The past ten days have been very scary ones for our good friends John and Lisa. John came down with a very serious case of bacterial meningitis a week ago Tuesday, and he has been fighting for his life. He had a bad sinus infection which, because of an old injury to the bones surrounding his sinus cavity, breached the membrane surrounding his brain and spinal cord and resulted in meningitis. He was not expected to survive the first 48 hours, but he is still with us. He is awake and alert now, but still very, very sick. He is getting excellent care here (Lisa is a nurse and attests to that). We have a small, but supportive expat community here, but many of them are "snowbirds" and have flown north for the summer months. That leaves just a few of us to help out with transportation (the hospital is in Vallarta, a half-hour drive), cooking, etc. I hope you will send good thoughts and prayers south of the border to him and Lisa. They are wonderful, giving people. Thanks.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
good thoughts and prayers coming John's way Karen. That sounds scary for sure. Please keep us posted, and I'll hope and pray for a quick complete recovery.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
It's always nice to see you here, Karen; but what you're dealing with now seems paramount. Hope everything turns out well and you are back soon!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Karen - Take care of yo8ur friends. We ill se3nd prayers and good wishes and we will be here for you.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Good thought coming from Dawn and I, Karen. Sure have missed seeing you around.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Positive and healing energies being sent, Karen!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks so much, everyone, for your positive energies! This morning, we learned that his meningitis is being caused by a drug-resistant e-coli. That's not good news. The docs are having some super-special antibiotic flown in to treat him, but it won't be here until tomorrow. His doctor "thinks" he will live long enough to get the new drug. More prayers.

buckytom

Grill Master
of course your friends have my prayers, karen. we'll still be here when you have time, so no worries about no time to post.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Your friends are in my prayers too Karen. Any news on when the drug will get to him?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
The antibiotic arrived at 10:30 last night, and all of the good thoughts/prayers/positive energy being sent to John must be working...he is MUCH better today. Fever is gone, lungs are clearing up, and they got him out of bed to sit in a recliner. He asked for a TV and insists on watching CNN. They are considering moving him out of ICU into a private room this evening. The first really hopeful day. Thanks so much to you all.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Woo Hoo! This just made my day, Karen! What wonderful news. Thoughts and prayers continue to go out until John is restored, in perfect health, to his family and friends.

Please keep updating us. I love it when I get to hear wonderful news.

Meme4251

:clap:What wonderful news to hear today Karen for your friends and yourself....! Hoping for a joyful weekend to all of you.....Meme:respect:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That IS wonderful news Karen!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be continuing to pray for him that he will make a complete recovery and be home soon.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
You are all so kind. I'm leaving in an hour to take his daughter to the hospital to visit. There is a small chance they'll let me in for a few minutes (visitors restricted to family so far). I'll give him a big and happy "hello" from you all.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thought it might help to see a picture of the lovely people you are all sending such positive energies to. Here are John and Lisa:

Attachments

• john and lisa.jpg
    john and lisa.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 134

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thank you so much, Karen!!! It does help to be able to visualize the person we're trying to help heal "remotely". They look like lovely people and I am struck by his eyes - they are kind eyes.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
It's a real rollercoaster...I did get a chance to see John yesterday afternoon, and while he cannot talk because of the trach tube, he managed to communicate, even laugh. It was wonderful to see him, and I drove home feeling so assured that he is on the road to recovery. A few hours later, I had a call from Lisa - the doctors have discovered a fistula (opening) between his trachea and his esophagus, probably caused by the repeated intubations and the trach tube itself. This is a potentially dangerous complication, and a surgeon is coming down from Guadalajara today to take a look at him. Poor Lisa. We'll be leaving for the hospital soon, just to keep her company. And Terry, you are so right - John is a kind man, and do you see the twinkle there as well? He is VERY funny. I hope that one day soon, the four of us can sit around and find ways to laugh about this, but it can't come soon enough. Thanks again to you all.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I had a trachea tube myself years ago and know how that can go so hang in there girl it will probably work out in this day and age. He is in our thoughts and best wishes girl.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, JoeC. Jerry and I are just heading out for the hospital to take the daughters in to see their dad. I'll let Lisa know that you lived to tell the tale; it is encouraging.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes and it was years ago 51 to be correct. It happens but isn't a problem they can't treat.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Hola amigos - it has been a week since I've been able to spend any time here, and it has been a rough week for Lisa and John. He has acquired additional bacterial infections, and an additional fistula in his sinus cavity that causes cerebrospinal fluid to run out of his nose! (I know, that's not a pretty image - sorry.) Three separate times during the past week, the doctors have given him just hours to live, and he has pulled through each time. Today, he is back in ICU, back on a ventilator, but alert, awake and writing his wife love notes. I can only conclude that all these prayers are having some effect, so please keep them coming. Thanks to you all!

Last edited: