Official: Acid dumped in Ohio city's water supply

waybomb

BELLAIRE, Ohio – Thousands of residents of an eastern Ohio community were told to stop drinking tap water after workers at a chemical treatment plant accidentally added toxic hydrochloric acid to the water supply.
No serious injuries were reported.

Forty pounds of the acid were added to Bellaire's water Sunday after a supplier shipped the wrong chemical and the filtration system crew mistook the containers for fluoride. The mistake was discovered Monday morning when workers noticed fluoride levels were lower than normal.

"Unfortunately, the drums are all the same size and the same color," water department superintendent Kirk Baker said.

Baker said crews opened fire hydrants and drained the system to clean it.
"All I can say is it was an unfortunate accident and it won't happen again," he said.

Customers were urged to avoid using tap water, and Bellaire High School dismissed classes early. The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency lifted a warning about 1 p.m. Monday.

About 2,400 people were affected by the contamination.

Joe Redinger, president of the supplier, Ohio Valley Chemical in Martins Ferry, said Tuesday the mix-up occurred at the shipping dock but he was unsure how. No one should be fired over such an error, he said.
Bellaire is about 120 miles east of Columbus, across the Ohio River from Wheeling, W.Va.

chowhound

That's unbelievable, Fred.
Same color container or not, I can't believe they aren't clearly marked in several locations.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Someone doing their job half awake. Sometimes your work gets so repetitive you stop paying attention to details, and that is when problems start.
Maybe they should make espresso mandatory before clocking in....

Ronjohn

Yikes!

1) Who's bright idea was it to keep the acid and the water treatment chemicals in the same color and size containers?? I mean, c'mon! even car dealerships keep different fluids in different colored containers!

2) If nothing else, the water is pre-softened now. No nasty calcium buildups in the pipes now!. :tongue: