Optional: 7 ounces (2 cups) pecans, toasted, or walnuts, halves or pieces
3/4 cup evaporaped milk
1 7 oz jar marshmallow creme
2 ounces (half stick) sweet butter
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
13 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil as follows: turn the pan upside down, center a 12-inch square foil shiny side down over the pan, press down the sides and corners of the foil to shape it to the pan, remove the foil, turn the pan right side up, place the shaped foil in the pan and gently press the foil (with a potholder if you wish) into place in the pan. Set aside the lined pan. Or use a tin foil pan.
Pick over the optional nuts carefully (sometimes they include a piece of shell), and remove and reserve about 1/2 cup of the best looking halfs or pieces to decorate the fudge. Set the nuts aside.
Pour the evaporated milk into a heavy 2-1/2 to 3-quart saucepan. Add the marshmallow creme, butter, sugar and salt. Place over low to low-medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spatula until the mixture comes to a boil. This mixture wants to burn; adjust the heat as necessary, and scrape the bottom of the pan occasionally with a rubber spatula to be sure it is not burning.
As soon as the mixture comes to a full boil start timing it; let it boil, and continue to stir, for 5 minutes. (After the 5 minutes are up, the mixture will carmelize slightly. It is not necessary to test the mixture with a thermometer--just time it--the temperature will be 226 to 228 degrees when the boiling time is up.)
Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the morsels, stir until melted smooth--a store wire whisk is a big help--stir in the vanilla, and then 1-1/2 cups nuts. Quickly pour into the lined pan, smooth the top, and place the reserved 1/2 cup nuts onto the top of the fudge, spacing them evenly and pressing down on them enough so they will not fall off.
Let stand until cool. Then chill until firm. Remove the fudge and foil from the pan by lifting the corners of the foil. Or, cover the pan with wax paper and a cookie sheet, turn the pan and sheet over, remove the pan and foil, cover the fudge with a cookie sheet or a cutting board, and turn it over again, leaving the fudge right side up.
With a long sharp knife carefully cut the fudge into pieces. Wrap them individually in clear cellophane, wax paper, or aluminum foil. Or place the fudge in an airtight freezer box. If you want to store for mroe than a few days, freeze it.

My notes:
I adapted this recipe from many similar recipes. I added more chocolate. You can use a mixture of semisweet and bittersweet. Nuts are totally optional. I like the addition of vanilla. You can use a tinfoil 8-inch pan and give the pan wrapped in saran and tinfoil as a gift. I usually add a bow and a plastic knife to cut it with. I always use a candy thermometer--it ensures that you bring the mixture to the proper temperature. It is easier to use a 7 oz jar of marshmallow creme than trying to divide a larger one as it is awfully sticky.