Attachments

chowhound

I just tried to post an attachment and it wouldn't.
I noticed that there is a red bar on the Manage Attachments page. Something about "sum of attchments...."
I've never run into this before. Is there a limit here?

Thanks.

Oh, and if there is a limit, if my attachments are deleted, will they disappear from the posts?

Thanks!

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
there's a file size limit for each type of attachment per post and pics have overall size limits too.

Then there is a total limit of all attachments per post. I think it is 6 per post. If you have more than 6 spread them across a couple of posts.

Jim

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think it's another issue. I'll have to tweak a couple of settings. I made some changes and it appears the overall affect was more than I intended. Try again in at or after 9:50EST chowhound and let me know if all is better. (I think it will be) :D

chowhound

Thanks Jim.
That's not it. It's a small file, 28kb. I thought I remember Maverick talking about not being able to upload a pic anymore. I think we may have the same problem.

ETA: Thanks, Doc.
By then the "joke" effect will be lost, but I'm sure I'll find something to post later (lol).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a question for you Doc in regards to attachments. I use another board that is basically the same as this. The only difference being, it allows you to put an attached image where you want. Now here the feature is there but a red x is all one gets if they use it. That is except the one that posts the image which will show I would guess as long as it is in their cache.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a question for you Doc in regards to attachments. I use another board that is basically the same as this. The only difference being, it allows you to put an attached image where you want. Now here the feature is there but a red x is all one gets if they use it. That is except the one that posts the image which will show I would guess as long as it is in their cache.
Joe, that is one weakness with VB that has always bugged me. How do you post it inline on the other site? try it in a repy here to me and I'll view the code and see if I can make it work.
I have seen folks do it by using photobucket or some other photo site and just posting the link inbetween of the text exactly where they want it ...and that should work here to. If not I'll find a way to fix it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here you go Doc now if I use the method which shows as "" in one text it should show a red x.

Emerilware 4 in 1 smoker.jpg

Now when I post this I can see the image fine till my cache is cleaned out or timed out in which case I can't see the image either.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The other method works fine but is always at the bottom of the post.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, BuckyTom showed me how he got pics and text to intermix in the picture thread. He uses the image tag like this:
I]

I have the attach tag turned on so it should work ... I just don't know how to make it work yet. I'll keep looking for that answer.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes Tom is correct but as you said that won't work with an attachment but will if you are using and Internet source or a personal server for your images. By the way I assume you can't see the image I posted above though I can from my side.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nope, I can't see the image. :confused: Is the image located on your computer or something like that?

fyi: I'm planning to build an image site in the near future. Where you can post images and link to them from any other site you choose. I hope to have it functional in March.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Actually on this post I used the Attach here uploading it from my computer and nothing more which seems to work fine. The previous post you can use the manage attachments method, which on the other board works fine also.

I included and image of that option which you also have. That is what doesn't seem to work on your set up but does on the same software at FoodieForum.com. I hope that helps a bit to explain it.

Attachments

• Emerilware 4 in 1 smoker.jpg
    Emerilware 4 in 1 smoker.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 18
  • AttachImage3.gif
    AttachImage3.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
testing attach tag

hmmmmmmm does it work text under attachment one.

text under attachment two

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I think you misunderstood how it works Doc. You upload the from your computer first. At that point the image is assigned a number by the software. Now say you type some text in then go to the Manage Attachments part and double click on which ever image you wish to put in that location. When you double click you will see appear at the location. Now if you preview the post you can then see the picture and not the attach section. This can be done with as many pictures as the limit of your board settings.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Joe. I thought it should also work the way I tried it. No luck with either way right now and I can't find a setting for it. If I have to turn on HTML to make it work, it will not happen. HTML opens up to many vulnerabilities that I am not comfortable with. I'll keep digging for now.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here this should be clearer. The first image is what you see in the edit window and the second is what I see from my computer when I open that post.

Attachments

• Attachments 1.jpg
    Attachments 1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Attachments 2.jpg
    Attachments 2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 13