Prayers and good thoughts for my friends

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
A friend of mine, Kerry, got very bad news today. She was diagnosed with colon cancer a couple of months back and has been on chemo to shrink the mass to a manageable size for surgical removal, which was today. Unfortunately, they found that her cancer has metastasized to most all of her other organs.

She and her husband are both nurses and have spent many years taking care of others. They were never able to have children, and her husband's mother moved in with them 6 months ago because of failing health. She was just diagnosed with lung cancer last week. So Kent, the husband, is trying to care for both his wife and mother at this point. I believe Hospice will be brought in soon, but Kent is devastated.

If you have some time, could you include them in your thoughts or prayers?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I am so sorry, Terry. Life can be hard. I will keep your friends in my prayers.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You got it Terry. Good thoughts and prayers on the way.
So sad. :(

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
This is very sad news Terry.
My prayer is that Kent finds the strength he needs in the coming days, weeks and months.
Blessings upon them and you too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sass beautifully put into words what I feel, Terry.

Waves of strength and positive energies flowing out to you all.

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
That is definitely a terrible thing to have to face. Good wished, kind thoughts and prayers are being sent.

Deelady

Most Definately FM, prayers being sent in abundance! Thank God they have a friend like you for support in such a difficult time!

smoke king

Banned
Prayers en route FM, how sad. Really puts things into perspective-most of the things we piss and moan about everyday are pretty trivial.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Prayers en route FM, how sad. Really puts things into perspective-most of the things we piss and moan about everyday are pretty trivial.

:agree:

Yes, SK .... this thread should give us all pause.

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh my goodness...that is just awful. They will all be on my prayer list FM. I can't even imagine how difficult this must be for all of them. Does Kent have any other family to lean on in the area?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
No, he only has a brother, who lives out of state. Thankfully, they have made a lot of friends over the years through work and many of them in their town. I talked with Kent last night and he's especially stressed because Kerry will be in the hospital for several more days and he can't stay with her unless he has someone to stay with his mother. My friend and I will go down there toward the end of next week to help.

One of the friends there has organized a "fill the freezer" campaign for them and Kent is very grateful. So I'll be asking y'all for some recipes for cook and freeze meals in another thread.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. They mean more that I can say. I mentioned it to Kent, and he said "Is that what I've been feeling? I had the weirdest feeling last night that I was in the middle of a cosmic work zone." (Kent and Kerry are the definition of old hippies.)

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Terry, that is so nice of you to go and give help. All of you are in my thoughts every day.

Buzz

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I think I'll be running to their house tomorrow for the day. Several friends have organized a "porch makeover" to surprise Kerry when she gets out of the hospital (hopefully on Friday.) She has a little, screened-in porch that is off her bedroom. We're going to paint and add a rug and a wicker settee and a small fountain and sheer curtains all around. They always intended to do this eventually. If anyone has any other ideas for this project, let me know.

Also, maybe I can find out what kinds of food she will be able to eat. Right now, she isn't even allowed water.

Love to all of you for your prayers and good thoughts,
T

GotGarlic

I think I'll be running to their house tomorrow for the day. Several friends have organized a "porch makeover" to surprise Kerry when she gets out of the hospital (hopefully on Friday.) She has a little, screened-in porch that is off her bedroom. We're going to paint and add a rug and a wicker settee and a small fountain and sheer curtains all around. They always intended to do this eventually. If anyone has any other ideas for this project, let me know.

Also, maybe I can find out what kinds of food she will be able to eat. Right now, she isn't even allowed water.

Love to all of you for your prayers and good thoughts,
T

This is a lovely thing to do. Some plants would be cheerful. If she likes to read, maybe a lamp table next to the settee.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Plants and reading lamp great ideas, GG!

Maybe a radio/CD player out there. Ottoman, big pillows, soft blanket or throw.

I like those picture frames that you can load your photos on, and they keep rotating through.

Sounds like a space I'd love to relax in, FM.

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
What excellent ideas! She loves to read and I have a few reading lamps in the basement. The plants are a wonderful idea, too. I have a black thumb, but I do have some beautiful pots for putting plants in. (I already killed the plants.) I will take those so one of the other friends can handle the plant part. The CD player is good, too, with some books on CD as well as music, and it gave me the idea to load an MP3 player up with some great music. Thank you so much.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Buzz, I have to say that I adore your avatar. Sam is just beautiful! She looks like a perfect little pixie. (I can see a lot of your DW in her, too.)

Deelady

How are things going FM? Were you able to make it over to see them?

What great ideas about the porch makeover!! I'm sure her cup will most definately runneth over :)

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thank you for reminding me to update, Dee. Yes, I was there the day Kerry came home from the hospital. The porch makeover was a huge success. It looks beautiful and Kerry was delighted. Her husband and friends had planted some gorgeous flower beds just off of the porch, too, so when you sit out there, the view is so pretty. There are tiny lights strung everywhere so it's magical looking at night.

Kerry is weak, but is getting around well considering. There is no further treatment planned because her doctor's think it is pointless. She is going to MD Anderson for a second opinion next week, but they aren't expecting much. The surgeon suggested they do this so that later, Kent doesn't start questioning himself whether or not they did everything they could.

Hospice has been called in for both Kerry and Kent's mom. This is really good since they can pick up prescriptions, groceries, etc. and stay with Kerry when Kent has to take his mom to the doc.

The recipes have been awesome! I've made about 12 freezer meals over the weekend and will take them when I go back in a couple of weeks. Thank you so much for helping me with this.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I took some pictures, but not nearly enough as things were hectic. Anyway, here is a picture of Kent and some of the wonderful friends there who worked so hard on the porch and garden. These pics were taken on the porch so you can a little of the "makeover".

Attachments

• kent.jpg
    kent.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 81
  • roxanne&virgil.jpg
    roxanne&virgil.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 85
  • Joyce.jpg
    Joyce.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 82