Shiitake Mushrooms - Chinese Duck Dumplings

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I have a 'stock' of dried mushrooms - various sorts - and no they don't rehydrate to slimy.

then again, then don't rehydrate to "like fresh" either... that recipe specifically calls for dried - rehydrated the texture is firmer than fresh which I reckon works in that dish - the fresh might just cook down too much.

I keep dried mushrooms in stock because I can get a more intense flavor from dried than fresh. and some types - like morels - are difficult to find fresh and very seasonal.

Dried Shitake mushrooms are an absolute STAPLE of my pantry. And no, they don't rehydrate "slimy".

Just place the amount required in a bowl & cover with hot tap water. Depending on the thickness of the mushrooms, proper rehydration can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. And unless I need the soaking water for the recipe, I rinse & change the hot water every 10 minutes or so, turning the mushrooms over with each change.

But I also agree that fresh Shitakes should work just as well in that recipe. And I really don't think they'd retain much more moisture than rehydrated dried. For whatever reason, fresh Shitakes don't exude nearly as much moisture as White Buttons or Creminis do.

I have a 'stock' of dried mushrooms - various sorts - and no they don't rehydrate to slimy.

then again, then don't rehydrate to "like fresh" either... that recipe specifically calls for dried - rehydrated the texture is firmer than fresh which I reckon works in that dish - the fresh might just cook down too much.

I keep dried mushrooms in stock because I can get a more intense flavor from dried than fresh. and some types - like morels - are difficult to find fresh and very seasonal.

Thanks, CM :)