Fish Heads

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
When you buy a whole fish from the market.... what in the hell do you do with the head? Toss it away with the tail and fins? :unsure:

If it's not an oily fish (like Mackerel, Bluefish, Salmon, etc.), I use all the trimmings, including the head, to make fish stock. The only prep needed is to cut out the gills, because they can give stock a bitter taste. And if you're not going to make stock right then & there (very few people do), just cut out the gills & pop the head & those trimmings in the freezer.

Deadly Sushi

This is going to sound amatuer-ish but.... when would i use fish stock? What would I be making generally?

Lefty

Yank
It would be used in fish or seafood dishes. Or a plain dish where you would want to add a fish flavor.

Lefty

Yank
There is chicken and beef stock on grocery shelves.... I wonder why no fish stock :huh:

They stock what is more popular. We sell it here because we eat a lot of seafood.
fish-stock.jpg

"Kitchen Basics" also puts out fish stock in those convenient recloseable cartons.

When I make fish stock, I use it for seafood soups/chowders/bisques, stews like Bouillabaise, seafood sauces for pasta, etc., etc.

Deadly Sushi

Ah! I see. Its amazing what I dont know and/or use.

Everytime I see that brand I just have to say BA-HABA :lol: Like some guy in Boston

High Cheese

Saucier
I can't stand chicken stock used with seafood. You can make a quick stock using shells or bones and water that will really turn any seafood dish into something spectacular.

phreak

I freeze whatever doesn't get cooked to later make my secret chum recipe to then go catch more fish!

I freeze whatever doesn't get cooked to later make my secret chum recipe to then go catch more fish!

Thanks for reminding me! Back when I lived by the lovely waterfront of Long Island, NY, we used to freeze fish heads to use as bait for eel pots or when we went crabbing. Ahhh, those were the days. . . .

CharlieD

I love fish soup, and fish heads and tails, or even carcas is the best for it. Make the stock, strain add whatever you want, yum.

pappy19

Don't forget that every fish (head) has two (2) tender cheek meats right under the eye. On larger fish, they are almost teaspoon size. When we cook trout with the head on, that's the first thing I eat.

Pap