The "Fast Food" of my childhood

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
menu.jpg

PanchoHambre

AW LT... the prices were not that low for me but I do miss the old Woolworth's...

one of the few retailers I was sad to see go

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
My second-favorite lunch counter was W. T. Grant's - The Ice-Cream Sodas were HUGE !

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I remember the old Woolworth's. Many drug stores of the day had soda fountains and fast foods such a burgers, sandwiches etc.. My wife worked in one through high school and that is how we meet.

heb1976

my grandma and i used to go to woolworth's for lunch after window shopping. they had the best burgers!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
As kids growing up in Miami it was a pretty small town in those days. A bunch of us would get on the bus and go downtown for the Saturday matinées. We always hit the Royal Castle next to the theaters for 15¢ sliders and a large frosted 5¢ Burch beer. God those things where the good old days. Oh and bus fair was a nickle each way with the movies (usually 2 and lots of cartoons) where a quarter. Oh and this was years before Burger King started in Miami which was where it started at.

They had Lum's where where good that sprang up for a few years there also but in my teen years. Those served 50 different imported beers and there hot dogs and sauerkraut where steamed in Löwenbräu beer.

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Wow. I remember getting out of high school and running across the street to Royal Castle to grab a "6-pak and a Birch Beer," then eating them on the way home on the bus. My Grandmother used to take us kids to Woolworths as a treat. We loved spinning on the bar seats.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't think Royal Castle is still in business any more. I remember the only hired retired men and no tipping allowed. Then along came the big burger chains with their multi leveled burgers forcing RC to hire women and school kids to compete which they couldn't do. Oh well at least I had the pleasure of eating at them when I was a kid, and white castle never was as good.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I remember Arnold's when I was in Miami. He also sold Red Hots which where good too. He if I'm not mistaken purchased the rights to use their name when the closed up in the 70's.

homecook

I don't think Royal Castle is still in business any more. I remember the only hired retired men and no tipping allowed. Then along came the big burger chains with their multi leveled burgers forcing RC to hire women and school kids to compete which they couldn't do. Oh well at least I had the pleasure of eating at them when I was a kid, and white castle never was as good.

We still have Royal Castle in Ohio.

Barb

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I would drive to Cincinnati about an hour and half, to get some but Mentor is a bit far for me to get a hamburger.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
from my archives;
How many pre-cooked hamburgers does the Royal Castle chain get from a pound of
ground beef?​

Answer; eighteen

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Is it ok to post our own favorite childhood fast food? Mine is still around:

http://www.tacobueno.com/

It's still the best fast food chain IMHO. Unfortunately it is not nationwide, and none in WI.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
There used to be and probably still is a place in Beaumont TX called Cody's. This place had the best Nacho pie I've ever eaten. It was a meal in itself but was served as an appetizer. The also served different types of foods not normally associated with SE Texas such as kabobs and escargot.

Our local drug store in Warner Robins, GA, had a lunch counter where they served a slaw dog that was absolutely to die for! Unfortunately, they closed around 1971, and I have never found another slaw dog as good. There was also a local chain in Macon and Warner Robins named Shrimp Boat, which moved to Florida in the mid-70s shortly before going out of business altogether. I've never found any deep-fried whitefish tasted the same way - really good.

Fred