Bones

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I just bought a new cookbook yesterday called Bones. The picture on the cover grabbed my attention. It shows three grilled bones with was looks likes the yummiest marrow, a sprinkling of sea salt and a bit of au jus.

I love cooking meat that is still on the bone, knowing that is where so much of the flavour comes from.

I gnaw on bones in public, too:w00t: and even preserve and save them in a jar in the kitchen.

Any other bone aficionados here?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, I love meat cuts with the bones - ribs, wings, legs, chops, steaks - oh, yeah!

One of the best meals I have ever eaten in a restaurant (in Aruba, called "Talk of the Town") was a plate of meaty prime rib BONES! MAN! Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Probably 5 or 6 bones, with tender meat, crispy on the edges, clinging to them!

I was so enthralled with that meal that I went back a second time that week. And I was staying at an all-inclusive! LOL! :biggrin:

Lee

Wart

Banned
Wife, born in Italy, starts drooling at the sight of bone marrow. Wife almost put 4 holes in my hand the first time I fried up a bone in ham steak. She thought I was going after the bone.

I have a slightly more controlled passion for bones. I see bones and I think 'stew' or noodles. I'll roast an extra leg quarter, take the bones from the leg quarters we eat, put them all in a pot and simmer for hours, then add noodles. Wife brought home turkey necks, I seared and cooked in a pan, then added water and simmered for HOURS then added noodles.

We had the turkey necks last night. Wife took them vertebrae by vertebrae and sucked them clean.

And the ham bone from New Years Eve with beans!

Give me about any bone and it's in a pot simmering till it's goodness is extracted. I'm so bad about it that I'll use water before a canned broth.

This think about toasted bones? Closest I've come are slab ribs, but now that the seed of an idea has been planted I think I'll be trying something different.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
and...Lou says it's sexy they way I can suck the meat off a bone.... I don't know which of has the bigger oral fixation.

I do prefer mammal bones to foul or fish bones. I won't turn my nose up at a turkey wing, but I don't really like getting up close and personal with fish bones.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
and...Lou says it's sexy they way I can suck the meat off a bone.... I don't know which of has the bigger oral fixation.

I do prefer mammal bones to foul or fish bones. I won't turn my nose up at a turkey wing, but I don't really like getting up close and personal with fish bones.

Remind me to get the wife doing that!:yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Note to Joe, leave these lines alone, leave them alone you are getting sucked in. :bounce: But it is so hard to stop my fingers. :whistling:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I love eating food off the bone, but can't provide them too often as DW does not - she detests things served on the bone. Oh Well all those wings, I get to myself.

smoke king

Banned

Attachments

• 061109_200510.jpg
    061109_200510.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 102

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
When we have bone-in meats, I don't leave the table until the bones are squeaky clean. Pork is my favorite followed by rare beef.

We are all oral to a certain degree. No need to hide from it.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Marrow is one thing I've never been introduced to... Doesn't look appealing to me. That said, I never cook a rib roast without gnawing on one of the bones before I even carve the roast.... That's an instant barometer on how the roast turned out :)