Anyone up for this?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
We have the IC's and they definitely showcase the talent of our outstanding members.

We do have some members that plate exceptionally well, not me. I really would like to learn this skill. Therefore, I am asking. Would anyone be interested in a one or two week challenge in which we feature the plating of anything you feel like cooking? Would some of you that plate very well be willing to offer tutorials and tips on the subject?

I believe the first thing we eat with is out eyes and and meal looks better and is better recieved if it is plated in an attractive manner.

So there you have it - Post - don't post - It's up to how you feel.

Andy

suziquzie

LOL I dont mind watching..... maybe I can learn something to file for future use..... but my bunch of hogs could give a crap about how the plate looks these days!!!!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
if jake'll post my school pix i'll show yins the plates Chef demo'd & we replicated, & plates where he let us choose the presentation.

Newnork1978

I'm often far too hungry to truly plate my dishes, but I do try to make sure they don't look just slopped onto the plate (for my photos). I wouldn't mind a few plate pointers, myself. :chef:

High Cheese

Saucier
Here's a couple things I learned -

1) Use large, white plates. Plates with bold patterns distract from the food. You could get creative with chargers, but I don't own any so IDK.

2) Don't crowd the plate. Leave a large border around your food.

3) Try to get height with your food by standing things or leaning items against each other.

4) Instead of covering something with sauce or gravy, try pooling the sauce on the plate first then place the food on top. Or drizzle the sauce in a pattern on the plate.

5) NO curly parsley!

6) garnish with ingredients that are edible. Dont be afraid to use some herbs or spice not only as an ingredient but also to dress the dish.

7) Use the rule of 3's. Odd numbered items are more appealing than even. For instance: 3 cheeseburgers on my plate looks better than 4, even though I really want 4 cheeseburgers.

8) Clean the border of the plate and no greasy fingerprints!

9) Slice certain things first before you plate instead of serving one large hunk 'o meat. You'll also not eat as much. ;)

Here's a couple pics with different ideas. Some of these I was playing with around ideas and should probobly be split into two dishes.

IMG_3119.jpg

Ravioli002.jpg

Here I was playing with the idea of using a corn husk. Should have used 2 plates.

IMG_2349.jpg

Here the salad should have been plated seperate.

IMG_0280.jpg

StripSteak001.jpg

Omelette002.jpg

Lobster008.jpg

CrabCakes004.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Great start, Jeeks. Those pix are beautiful and I wish I had your talent for both plating and photography -- and motocrossing. LOL

vyapti

Honestly, High Cheese's bullet points were more helpful than than the pictures alone, which were outstanding. A good exercise might be to go out, find an article or tutorial and post a pic that shows an example from the article. A few people, doing a little bit of research and applying it with a photo could build a lot knowledge for all of us.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
For what it is worth.
In my opinion.

I would opt to move the tutorial threads to the tutorial section. Given the passage of time and new members, That is where they will probably look for them.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I second this, Andy and vyapti. Cheese's bullet points, along with the pics, definitely qualifies as a tutorial and I would love to have it handy to refer back to.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I concur. Awesome work Cheese!!!! All I can say is WOW. Great photography, and great presentation. :clap: :clap: :tiphat: :D

Lefty

Yank
I would like to help, but plating (if you mean those expensive tiny portions, stakced perfectly like some art work) I have no idea.

Actually I think if I serve tiny servings to my crew they would smack me,;) but I am all for learning something new.

vyapti

I would like to help, but plating (if you mean those expensive tiny portions, stakced perfectly like some art work) I have no idea.

Actually I think if I serve tiny servings to my crew they would smack me,;) but I am all for learning something new.

I plate a dish for a photo then either scrape it onto a dinner plate or add to it. The amount I put on a plate for a photo would usually feed my 9yo and thats about it.

Lefty

Yank
I plate a dish for a photo then either scrape it onto a dinner plate or add to it. The amount I put on a plate for a photo would usually feed my 9yo and thats about it.
So we are just speaking photo ops/artwork? I have seen them serve those tiny servings at some places and on TV.

High Cheese

Saucier
Sometimes the food may look like a small portion because the plates are usually huge in high end restaurants where they 'plate' food for presentation. They also portion food like that because it shouldn't be eaten like a trip to White Castle. lol

Lefty

Yank
Sometimes the food may look like a small portion because the plates are usually huge in high end restaurants where they 'plate' food for presentation. They also portion food like that because it shouldn't be eaten like a trip to White Castle. lol

I couldn't see the pictures before at work, photobucket is denied. Looks good.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm loving all these tips. This is something that I would like to try. I thought it was just potatoes until I read the properties and discovered that it's actually a crabcake. I'm guessing that it was cooked in a ramekin, taken out (verrryyyy carefully :)) and then tied with a piece of chive that was somehow wilted. I need a full "how to" disclosure :lol: before attempting.

CrabCakes004.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm loving all these tips. This is something that I would like to try. I thought it was just potatoes until I read the properties and discovered that it's actually a crabcake. I'm guessing that it was cooked in a ramekin, taken out (verrryyyy carefully :)) and then tied with a piece of chive that was somehow wilted. I need a full "how to" disclosure :lol: before attempting.

CrabCakes004.jpg

it looks like the ramekin was buttered and the sides (and bottom possibly) lined with overlapping thin slices of potato and the middle filled with the crab. the a scallion was blanched in boiling water to wilt and tied around for finished product. it looks awesome!!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It looks to me like he used a tuna can with the top and bottom cut out so that he could brown the top and bottom without it falling apart. Oh Cheeseeeeeee......

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'd like to get in on this, and frankly, it's been my plan to pick up an assortment of white plates this week for better photo ops. You all know I eat nothing but leftovers and canned soup during the week....give me till a day or two and I'll work on a few things.

Weezer gave you precisely the same tips I'd give you.

Add height and dimension. Use colour to your advantage. Never sauce over your food if you can avoid it. Don't be afraid to put a vehicle on your plate.
Don't be linear. Uneven numbers are better.

And, now, off to chef central and the kitchen warehouse for those plates I've been looking at.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
What do you mean by a vehicle, Vera?
By the way, I've always thought your plating is exquisite.
You make it look like you did it so easy.

Cheese,Sage and Cooksie do the same, among others.

I need all the tips I can get. lol

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've thought about this, too, and I think there are two different styles of serving.

Family style, which would be putting most, if not all, of the meal on one plate. I've noticed there are still ways of making this look nicer, but it's nothing like what Cheese has posted.

I think of Cheese's plating as formal plating - where the meal is served in courses, or at least having the different components on separate plates. That's not something we do everyday if we have more than a couple of people eating, if then. But knowing how to do it is something I really want to learn because it's an art and it comes in handy when making special meals that deserve to be presented in a special way.