Jan 4, 2010 Whats for dinner?

suziquzie

Wow 2010 looks so..... weird!

I'm making split pea soup, honey wheat dinner rolls...... that should warm me up a little.... it was -20 degrees this morning..... all the way up to -7 now!!! YAY!!
:glare:

What'cha gonna make?

CharlieD

... it was -20 degrees this morning..... ?

Neah, it was not, I was up at 6 it was like -13-10 or so and it is like minus 1 now.

P.S. I do not know what to cook anymore. Everybody likes different things; nobody wants to eat same stuff. My kids decided that they do not like spaghetti. Where in the world did you see kids that do not like spaghetti? They are weird. I'm going on strike, let their mother cook. Mack and cheese every day, they’ll be happy.

suziquzie

Neah, it was not, I was up at 6 it was like -13-10 or so and it is like minus 1 now.

P.S. I do not know what to cook anymore. Everybody likes different things; nobody wants to eat same stuff. My kids decided that they do not like spaghetti. Where in the world did you see kids that do not like spaghetti? They are weird. I'm going on strike, let their mother cook. Mack and cheese every day, they’ll be happy.

Ahhhhh Charlie you forget I'm up north a bit..... 10 miles from Cambridge and Cambridge was -20..... I'm stickin' to it!!!!

vyapti

I hear you. Two of my kids have diametrically opposed tastes and there's not a single thing they both like. One of them has a revolving pallet that includes a weekly things-I-don't-like list and the other won't eat anything that's not packaged or canned and microwavable.

CharlieD

I hear you. Two of my kids have diametrically opposed tastes and there's not a single thing they both like. One of them has a revolving pallet that includes a weekly things-I-don't-like list and the other won't eat anything that's not packaged or canned and microwavable.

Immagine I have 4 kids plus wife that do that to me. Grrr :bonk:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We are planing on doing some of the left over manicotti I guess tonight. Spent all day in the kitchen yesterday making it up so we have enough left over for my wife and I tonight.

suziquzie

Just cook what you like and offer the rest packets of ketchup =)

LOL thats what DH has been telling me for years..... I'm finally to the point where I'm doing it...... you eat, or you don't...... your choice. 10 yr old eats anything, 6 yr old not much.... 4 yr old...... depends on the day and position of the moon I think..... :D

Deelady

LOL thats what DH has been telling me for years..... I'm finally to the point where I'm doing it...... you eat, or you don't...... your choice. 10 yr old eats anything, 6 yr old not much.... 4 yr old...... depends on the day and position of the moon I think..... :D

LOL positions of the moon....with mine I wouldnt be surprised if that were true! :bonk::bonk:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Well change of plans! lol
I am going to be babysitting a friends 7 y/o daughter from 4-8.
Said I'd make her dinner, she wants pizza,so Natalie and I will be in the kitchen making bubble pizza. :)

K

Kimchee

My parents didn't play that game... we ate what was served or went hungry.
Funny, the "went hungry" nights were the ones mom and dad decided to have
ice cream or something... Of course, since I didn't eat dinner, I didn't get any....

Worked well, I ate things I didn't much like.

For dinner tonight... chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sammiches.
Wife is feeling "puny". Hope she isn't getting sick!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
ice cream or something... Of course, since I didn't eat dinner, I didn't get any....

Funny as my grandmother served dinner promptly at 5 PM every night and breakfast at 7 AM. Now we never got to put food on our plates as she made up our plates as kids. If you didn't eat it you got it for breakfast the following morning. Now if you honestly didn't like something and tried it at least once she would make something else for you next time. In my case it was liver. I couldn't even come in the house when it was cooking as the stuff just smelled bad to me, so bad it would gage me. To this day I can't eat it unless it is added as a small part of many other things such as dirty rice or boudin sausage. Other than that I ate most anything she put in front of me as she really was a fantastic cook. Later in life I stopped eating chicken as they changed about 30 or so years ago into what we have today called chicken.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Just got a pot-o-chili going on the stove. This is the REAL chili, not that pseudo chili they serve in Cincinnati with spaghetti noodles. I also have a couple loaves of sourdough bread to go with it. DW is starting a new job tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be in the kitchen more than in the past...at least until my business picks back up. I picked up a chuck roast and a whole chicken while at the store today for the next couple of meals, and I think we might make cheese raviolis tonight from scratch. I bought riccota, so we'll probably make them then freeze them for another meal, and DW is making her s'gheti sauce right now. Busy day in the kitchen.

homecook

That really sounds good Lefty!!

I'm not sure yet.......probably leftover stew or breakfast for dinner or maybe even hamburgers and fries. lol

Deelady

Thats funny I do that with my daughter...except many times when told because she didn't eat her dinner she doesn't get said treat....most often it back fires on me because she just says "oh ok" and start to play something.....:bonk:

I'm drawing a blank on what to make tonight....maybe loaded baked potato....hmmmm don't know :(

suziquzie

I do believe I just said I'm not playing a game either.... eat or dont.... hmmm I'm not seeing a game......

CharlieD

I was pretty picky eater too, but hey I was only one kid, so my mom always made what I liked. And though I was picky I could eat the same things for days and days at the time. So it was almost always chicken and rice soup, some times noodles, and mashed potato either with chicken from the soup or pork chop. I coul still eat this day in and day out.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
3 sausage bread is in the oven and i have a nice ball of dough left. maybe i can split it and make 2 pizzas

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Just got a pot-o-chili going on the stove. This is the REAL chili, not that pseudo chili they serve in Cincinnati with spaghetti noodles.

It really depends on the part of the country as in Texas no beans either and it is made with Mexican chocolate and a Mexican cheese two of the ingredients though both also have peppers in them. I actually make Chili like that myself but have been know to eat it with beans as well.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I just checked to see if I had posted my chili recipe but I guess I didn't as I didn't find it. I guess I will have to type it out and post it one of these days. I got the recipe from a friend in Texas about 1970 or so though some of the ingredients used to be hard to find unless in an area with large amounts of Mexican Americans. Now you can find the stuff even here in Lexington. I saw almost the exact same recipe done by Tyler Florence on one of his shows a while back. He even used the masa harina (corn meal), Mexican chocolate, and the Grated queso fresco (cheese) except he used it for a garnish than an ingredient like I do.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
linguine & crabmeat/lemon/butter/parsley or pasta & truffles. salad.

GotGarlic

I started to post this, then deleted it, then said what the hey!

When I was growing up, we had to taste everything Mom or Dad made. If we really didn't like it, we could make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but they didn't make special dishes for anyone but themselves :mrgreen: I know, easy for me to say - I just borrow other people's teenagers, aka exchange studnets :lol:

GotGarlic

I had an appt after work so DH made spaghetti with the extra meatballs I made when I made Italian wedding soup last week. Time for me to go start the asparagus roasting.