Whats cooking Friday January 1, 2010?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
well hows everyone feel? does anyone feel like cooking? we have plenty of food left and my daughter friend is sleeping over tonight so this oughta be fun.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Whats cooking Saturday January 1, 20-10?

We are planning roast duck for today.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Oven BBQ-d Turkey Leg (a HUGE one)
grilled vegetables
Fingerling spuds

maybe i can convince the Warden to do a Shoo-Fly Pie...........

Deelady

No cooking for me but we were invited to a church elders house for a nice home cooked meal :) Can't wait to see what they make this time!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Traditional pork & sauerkraut dinner at my brother's place. There will be about 17 for dinner...if they all show up. DW made Bourbon Dogs for an appy, and I'm getting ready to fire up the KitchenAid to make Epi Baguettes.

homecook

Pork and sauerkraut here too, along with finger foods. Getting things ready for the Rose Bowl!!! Go Bucs!

Since I actually had the forethought yesterday to leave some dried white beans to soak overnight, I "hope" to be making a nice French "Cassoulet" today using the leftover Xmas roast goose, some wine-sauteed boneless skinless chicken breasts, & some turkey kielbasa sausage. It's our New Year's Day tradition - although I'm not always up to dealing with it - lol!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Blackeye Peas, Stir-fried cabbage, and Pork Chops--same thing we always have :biggrin:.

Love2"Q"

looks like steak and twice baked taters ...
collard greens and probably some corn on the cob for the little ones ..
thinking some ice cream afterwards ...

Blackeye Peas, Stir-fried cabbage, and Pork Chops--same thing we always have :biggrin:.

Oh gosh!! Thanks for reminding me!! I bought a package of fresh Black-Eyed Peas on Wednesday & they're still sequestered somewhere in the fridge awaiting been turned into some "Hoppin' John". I'm thinking what with the beans in the Cassoulet, the Hoppin' John may have to wait until tomorrow.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Oh gosh!! Thanks for reminding me!! I bought a package of fresh Black-Eyed Peas on Wednesday & they're still sequestered somewhere in the fridge awaiting been turned into some "Hoppin' John". I'm thinking what with the beans in the Cassoulet, the Hoppin' John may have to wait until tomorrow.

Sure wish that I could have found some fresh peas. How do you do your hoppin' john?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Happy New Year Everyone!

I'm making turkey and andouille gumbo and fried calamari po'boys. Sazerac is the cocktail for the evening!

Have no real plan for dessert at this moment.

Sure wish that I could have found some fresh peas. How do you do your hoppin' john?

Around here in the "northern south" - lol - a few supermarkets carry fresh Black-Eyed Peas year-round & a few farmers' market vendors have them in late summer, but from mid-December through mid-January EVERYONE carries them. And of course they're also always available dried, canned, & frozen as well. In fact, I have a bag of frozen Black-Eyes awaiting "something".

Since my husband doesn't care for Black-Eyed Peas, I can pretty much prepare them any way I want since he won't be eating them. Usually I just cook the peas until "just" tender, & then combine them with lots of good-quality fried bacon (or diced aged country ham), chopped onion, & some cooked rice.

I did recently receive a recipe online for a Greek bean salad using Black-Eyes, so may give that a whirl some time soon while the fresh peas are so readily available.

Between the beans in the Cassoulet & all these Black-Eye dishes, I don't know if I'm going to end up healthier than all getout or gassier than all getout - LOL!!:lol:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Pork Chops, mashed potatoes, mustard greens, black-eyed peas and cornbread.

Phiddlechik

For breakfast, German Pancake with Maple Caramel Apple Sauce and Cinnamon Whipped cream.
Turned leftover Lobster/Crab Newburg into a dip: added parmesan, pepperjack, cheddar, cream cheese, miracle whip, some drops of tabasco. Will heat it up with a soda cracker/bacon topping. Will take to a friend's this afternoon. Will serve with toasted baguette slices.
here's the pancake:

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 136
K

Kimchee

That looks tasty, Phiddlechick!
I wish my wife liked pork and kraut, sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

So we are having pizza, by request of her visiting mother. I will wave a can of Black eye
peas and a can of greens over it. Some of the topping is pork based... Hope that will
invoke the Luck of the Foods for 2010....

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Roast duck with roast poatatoes, roast cerleriac (from my allotment), butternut puree, leeks (my allotment) in orange juice, brussels (also from my allotment) and gravy. PICT0181.JPG
PICT0183.JPG
PICT0184.JPG
Extra pics because Lucky asked for some.
Desert - grape & hazelnut pudding - my IC entry for the week.
PICT0187.JPG
PICT0188.JPG

Have a great New Years meal.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
WOW!! That looks amazing, Ray! And very timely - I happen to have a duck in my freezer. Now I know how it's supposed to look. LOL

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
It's a hired garden. I had a plot abot 10m by 30m on a big plot in Basingstoke. The council rents out the plots - it started as a way to get town dwellers to grow more veg (many houses did not a have a garden or had a very small garden.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Sirloin topped with caramelized onions, left over hash brown casserole and green beans.

2010-01-01 16-10-00.255.jpg

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Traditionally- We sub the blackeyed Peas for Pinto Beans- But we skipping that this year- Turkey Dressing, Smashed & Gravy, Corn, Peach Cobbler, Pumpkin Pie- Hmmm Sounds like TG again. Not so many people. Small Bird.
Wow Ray- That Duck looks fantastic. We haven't had on of those in years. After seeing that. This month sometimes. Thanks for the idea!

suziquzie

My brother went to Ireland this summer, and decided for Christmas to make us all a REAL Irish breakfast.... bangers and mash..... lol whatever that is.

Christmas was postponed due to weather last week, so this morning we did it. Steel cut oats, all sorts of sausages and a ham I'd not seen before..... fried eggs..... soda bread...... it really was a good time hangin out with him in my kitchen, Dad taught us to cook and it was fun to see the proud look on him.

:D