Heating made-ahead sides.....

suziquzie

I'm making a ham tomorrow.... easy enough.....
But I was thinking I'd get my AuGratin potatoes and Scalloped corn out of the way today and re-heat.

Everything takes SO long when I load up the oven..... I'm not sure how to tackle having everything come out hot at the same time, it never works out quite right.

Maybe I should just go buy a cheap, used electric oven and put it in the garage, but not today. :)
How do you manage you heating / cooking with one oven?

homecook

I make my turkey in my electric roaster, most of the sides go in the oven or toaster oven. And some in the microwave. I'm always shuffling around though. We smother everything in HOT gravy. lol

suziquzie

Ugh, I had DH's Aunt's roaster here all summer and I gave it back last week.... I knew I shoulda waited until after Christmas, I would REALLY love to have one of those!

High Cheese

Saucier
I've used the grill as an oven. You just need to put some sheet pans down to protect the bottom of your pot from cooking.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Can you use a crock pot? I did sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. Kept them hot in the crock pot,and put them in the oven at the last minute to brown the marshmallows...

FryBoy

Microwave, when used correctly (i.e., about 50 to 80% power), can do a fine job of reheating casserole-type dishes, and you can always finish in the oven or under the broiler to brown if desired.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
When I first ran out of oven space I bought an electric roaster at Wally World for about $20. It works great, and I've even used it for chili for a Super Bowl game, but mostly I roast turkeys in it.

I also got fed up with only one oven, so I bought a used electric for $75 and the outlet & breaker cost $25, and now have a functioning oven/range in the basement. I'll be using it tomorrow when I make bread for the next two days.

P1020243.jpg

I also have 3 of these guys. I have full size pans, half pans and shown here are my 1//3 pans. Fill up the bottom with water and light the Sterno and you're good to go for several hours. I'm using it tomorrow for 3 hot appetizers.

P1020340.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Wellllllll... very cool Joe but I have a postage stamp sized house LOL. Just one stove. I bast the ham first, then wrap in foil and set aside. I then do my sides. As soon as they are done I take the ham back out for a quick turn in the stove at high heat to caramelize the glazing.
While the ham is caramelizing I leave all of the casseroles on the stove, they stay warmer longer from all the heat coming off the stove.
Works pretty well but I would love to have one of those Sterno warmers that Joe has, sure would make it easier!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Slow cookers, electric skillet, roaster oven, toaster oven, microwave - I use them all trying to have everything end up done at the same time. LOL

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Suz, it's always going to depend on what the actual items are for me. You mention a ham and scalloped potatoes. From my experiences, scalloped potatoes contain cream, which has a tendency to break when reheated. I would cook the ham as planned. Then, while it's resting, bake the scalloped potatoes.

If you take thanksgiving as an example: I bake most of the side the day before since the turkey tends to take up most of the oven. I can still fit one more shelf in with the turkey, but it won't take a dish that is too deep. When dinner is about an hour away I warm things in the microwave. As soon as the turkey comes out of the oven I lower the temp to 170 and put all the side back into the oven to complete the warming/holding.

Just keep in mind what you are actually working with. Cream breaks. By this I mean it has a tendency to separate, leaving you with an oil slick instead of a nice creamy sauce. If you have a toaster oven, you have another place to hold something/bake something.

Personally, I always try for sinchronized service, but when that's not possible, I opt for the meat to be slightly cooler than the sides; assuming I have plenty of hot gravy for the meat.