Share your Christmas Menu Please

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've written my menu for the Feast of the Seven Fishes on that thread, but christmas day it's going to be just Lou and I till we head to Ivan's for dessert. I'm making a lasagna, garlic bread, italian salad and a nice bottle of chianti.

At my house, it's all about christmas eve. What are you making???

valinkenmore

We are having Crown Pork Roast with a fruited stuffing, green beans wrapped in prosciutto, roasted root vegetables, cranberry salad, homemade dinner rolls and a berry trifle for dessert! :biggrin:

Nothing is set in stone yet, till I get to the market. Been hankering for some poached salmon (prob in cucumber/sour/cream/dill sauce), with oven roasted cherry tomatoes stuffed with garlic, & cilantro-lime rice. Cranberry clafoutis for dessert. Appetizers - to be determined.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
So far, here's the plan:

Christmas Eve:

Deli sandwiches
Chips/Dip (don't know what kind yet)
Shrimp Cocktail
Sausage stuffed mushrooms
Bourbon chicken bites

Christmas Day Brunch:

Eggs Benedict or Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Fruit

Christmas Dinner:

Prime rib - unless they don't look good, then I'll get a whole tenderloin
Scalloped potatoes
Artichokes
LeSeur peas (canned :D for those who won't eat artichokes)
Another undecided side

homecook

Christmas Eve......

Deviled eggs
Shrimp cocktail
Sausage stuffed mushrooms
Chips and dip

Polish sausage and saurkraut
Washing machine potatoes
Potato salad
Ham - for sandwiches with rye bread, cheese
Oplatki

Christmas Day.....

Crab dip and crackers
Cheese and crackers

Turkey
Stuffing
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Green bean casserole
Brussell sprouts
Cranberry sauce
Rolls

Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner is always the same!

High Cheese

Saucier
I'm real bored of turkey, and already did a rib roast a couple years ago so:

Roasted root veggies, sauteed haricot vert with garlic, herb crusted roasted beef tenderloin, pan roasted quail, some sort of red wine sauce for both the quail and beef, field greens salad with tomatoes and maple fig dressing. I finally found some fresh figs ($$$$) so the dinner will be garnished with figs, cranberries, chestnuts and sage.

I was going to grill the quail but decided to cook them in a pan to start a sauce. I just need to figure out the timing on everything since the actual cooking isn't that difficult.

Deelady

I'm trying to keep it pretty simple, I'm having about 12 over and I am just not up to doing too much work soooo I am sticking a pork roast in the crockpot, my SIL is bringing her famous greens, we will also be having a Turkey and Mama's cheddar bisquit sticks. Haven't decided on the rest of the sides or apps yet.....

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I am doing a whole other holiday meal on the 26th when my brother comes into town...so back in the kitchen I go..

First course is poached quail eggs with candied figs and pignoli nuts on a bed of radicchio and endive with truffle vinaigrette.

Second course is very very much up in the air - I've got three options that I'm toying with - sweet potato ravioli with pancetta in a shallot marsala sauce; or chestnut ravioli with a cognac cream sauce, or rice balls stuffed with peas and pistachio nuts and a carbonara sauce. Decisions decisions

Third course is a crown roast of pork with sausage and cranberry stuffing, oven roasted beets and homemade apple sauce.

Tiramisu for dessert.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to my father's house, and I'm bringing the appetizers and the beef tenderloin.

My stepmother will make the vegetables and desserts. We both only know about the beef - everything else is a surprise to both of us! LOL!

Appetizers:

Smoked salmon with cream cheese, red onion, and dill on pumpernickle party rye.
Smoked muenster cheese with Roasted Garlic Triskets
Variety of large olives, including giant Kalamatas and feta-stuffed green olives
Smashed radishes and cucumbers in Asian sauce

Beef Tenderloin: I'm going with the bacon-wrapped beef tenderloin in Joy of Cooking. What's your recipe, Jay?

And Barb, what are Washing Machine potatoes?

And Cooksie, what are Bourbon Chicken Bites?

Lee

Last edited:

homecook

I'm going to my father's house, and I'm bringing the appetizers and the beef tenderloin.

My stepmother will make the vegetables and desserts. We both only know about the beef - everything else is a surprise to both of us! LOL!

Appetizers:

Smoked salmon with cream cheese, red onion, and dill on pumpernickle party rye.
Smoked muenster cheese with Roasted Garlic Triskets
Variety of large olives, including giant Kalamatas and feta-stuffed green olives
Smashed radishes and cucumbers in Asian sauce

Beef Tenderloin: I'm going with the bacon-wrapped beef tenderloin in Joy of Cooking. What's your recipe, Jay?

And Barb, what are Washing Machine potatoes?

And Cooksie, what are Bourbon Chicken Bites?
Lee

LOL.......I've called them that for so long I forget no one knows what I'm talking about. They're boiled, peeled, cubed potatoes fried in butter with onions in an electric frypan. They would be fried on my grandmothers washing machine because she didn't have room on her counter. haha Hence the name.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
verablue- another for the rice, & i don't like rice unless it's sushi, your recipe seems very very yummy, though! chestnut ravs would be great, too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Barb, I tried to give you karma for your lovely story about the Washing Machine Potatoes, but couldn't. That is SO typical of what recipes are called in my family, too!

Thank you Cooksie and Dee for posting the Bourbon Chicken Bites. Copied and saved!

How do you keep them warm? Or are they good room temp?

Lee

Deelady

I served them once at semi room temp once before and they tasted just as yummy, I would just make sure they are not sitting out for hours.
I would be weary of reheating them too much in fear of the chicken drying out, but I suppose if you needed to take them somewhere maybe you can save the last step until you get there (given that you have access to their stove top).

Hard to really answer because I have never had to keep them warm for long before they were finished :)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I am working Christmas Eve, but will be at my sisters house for Christmas day.
She's making cornish game hens and a ham.
Everyone else is taking 2 side dishes. I still have no idea what to take.:ohmy::bonk:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
This is what we have settled on, I think. LOL.

Drinks:
Eggnog
Apple cider
Hot cocoa
Coffee

Starter:
Cranberry walnut salad
Butternut squash soup

Main:
Spiral sliced ham made using a recipe mimicking Honey Baked Ham
Sweet potato casserole
Green bean casserole
Candied sweet potatoes
Butter horns

Desserts (most made Christmas Eve):
Sweet dreams chocolate fudge candy
Divinity
Eggnog ice cream
Eggnog cookies
Pecan squares

I think we are also putting together a cracker, cheese, and meat tray for munching on as well as mixed nuts.

I think, we will see how much energy I actually have come Christmas Eve, LOL.

GotGarlic

So far, I've decided on grilled lamb chops for Christmas dinner. No idea what else. It's just the two of us this time, so I can take my time.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Christmas Eve (12 for dinner):
Grandpa's Egg Nog (Don't even ask. Recipe in possession of SIL, but it's damn good!)
Shrimp Cocktail
Sausage & Cheese on party rye
Cheese Ball
Italian meatballs in teryaki sauce
Deviled eggs

Italian Wedding soup w/meatballs & shredded chicken
Pulled Pork sandwiches on homemade sandwich rolls
Sweet Cole Slaw

Grandma's Cheese Cake
Jello w/fresh whipped cream
Assorted homemade cookies, potica, cinnamon rolls and nuts

Christmas Day (16 for dinner - different crowd):
Breakfast ~
Dad's scratch sourdough pancakes w/ pure Ohio maple syrup
Breakfast sausage
Bacon

Dinner:
Veggie tray
Assorted cheeses & crackers
Sausage & cheese on party rye
Baked brie

Chicken Parmesan
Spaghetti w/ homemade sauce & fresh grated Parmesan
Mixed greens salad with homemade Italian dressing
Homemade Italian bread
Garlic bread from homemade baguettes

Jello w/fresh whipped cream
Assorted homemade cookies, potica, cinnamon rolls and nuts

Last edited:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm amazed at how varied the menus are!! Just another reason why I love this place.
Please keep posting...and don't forget the pictures for the IC Challenge!!!!!!

suziquzie

Pretty Plain Jane here....

Christmas Eve....
Brown Sugar baked ham
Potatoes Au Gratin
Scalloped Corn
Green Beans Amandine
Honey Wheat dinner rolls

French Silk Pie

Christmas Day just grazing food at MIL's.

All pending on the weather. They keep saying possibly 2 feet of snow starting tomorrow night and continuing thru til Saturday :(

I won't be allowing my company to make the drive here Christmas Eve if it's snowing so much, nor do I want to be in a car the next day to go anywhere.
I hope Iowa gets it again. :D

High Cheese

Saucier

I don't have one really, I'll probobly just keep it simple and crust the outside with garlic and dried herbs. I am making a red wine reduction though.

I did decide to serve it family style since there will be quite a few picky/beginner eaters. So I can't wait to get a shot of the table.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
"Beginner eaters", LOL!

I have no problem with novices, as long as they have an open mind. They don't have be Andrew Zimmerman, but I don't have much patience for the "The only vegetable I'll eat is a potato" ilk.

Good luck, Jay!

Lee

K

Kimchee

Whatever the Grand Asia Buffet decides to serve!
It's a Christmas Day tradition! :)