Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Side Dish?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
My friend Missy called me at work today and said she'd like to meet up with me tomorrow (my usual Monday off).
Told her to come on over around 4 and I'd make dinner for her.
She's 100% vegetarian, not the back slider I've become.:yum:
Anyway, told her I'd make an old favourite of hers and mine, the vegetarian stuffed peppers (Gimme Lean sausage, a spicy rice mix and some basic sharp cheddar sauce on top).
I'd always made mashed potatoes to go with the peppers in the past.
She's watching her carb count, soooooooo what would you suggest I do as a side with the peppers?
TIA.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
A tomato chutney served over lightly browned croutons? Croutons are carbs, but use only a few, and it’s way less than potatoes.

Eggplant fries? The breading is carbs, but the eggplant is so low in calories that it takes more calories to digest it than the thing offers! Awesome bit of trickery there.

And of course, there is always salad with a good dressing (like balsamic).

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I was just thinking iceberg wedges with a light dressing Keltin?

It's been so long since I've cooked veggie for more than myself that I actually am stumped!

The tomato chutney over croutons may work too.

Thing is I want to impress her as we haven't had a girl night together for a long time, and it's sort of a Christmas together time as well.

I bought red and yellow peppers, so that comes into play as well.

I want it all to be very pretty and a nice presentation.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I actually like the iceberg wedges myself, but they can be tricky to eat for some since they are just hunks of veggie. You can cut through with a fork or knife easily enough though. But, it’s hard to get other components like tomatoes or pepper to cling to the wedge like a traditional salad. But personally, I still like it……maybe some cherry tomatoes (halved?) scattered around the wedge for color, and a pepperoncini pepper on top?

The chutney is very colorful and should go well with the stuffed peppers. Serving over croutons adds a crunchy texture, and bits of it poking through the chutney should look nice on the plate.

Or, get crazy and make an iceberg lettuce roll up. It’s a lot like a spring roll (which you could also do). Just take a large lettuce leaf, add some diced tomato, onion, black olive, cheese if that is allowed, a bit of dressing, and roll it up tight and place it seam side down on the plate. You can pick it up and eat it as a finger food, or cut it into bites with knife and fork. It’s basically a salad in a roll-up! I’ve even used green pasta as a ribbon to tie a roll-up like that together to keep it from opening up……or use thin carrot spears to pin it together.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Or, get crazy and make an iceberg lettuce roll up. It’s a lot like a spring roll (which you could also do). Just take a large lettuce leaf, add some diced tomato, onion, black olive, cheese if that is allowed, a bit of dressing, and roll it up tight and place it seam side down on the plate. You can pick it up and eat it as a finger food, or cut it into bites with knife and fork. It’s basically a salad in a roll-up! I’ve even used green pasta as a ribbon to tie a roll-up like that together to keep it from opening up……or use thin carrot spears to pin it together.
That's ITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!:ohmy:
:applause::lol:

Mmmmmk, got me meal all planned for tomorrow.
Thanks Keltin.
I am envisioning said lettuce roll with lovely stuffings and perhaps some chopped black olives ontop, with a delicious drenching of a light honey mustard dressing.
It's gotta be all about colour and zing!
Thank you hun.
Great suggestion.
Ya know, I was thinking about pan sauteed brussels sprouts, until I remembered she hates them. lol
You rock.
Meal planned. I'll let you know how it goes and may even take pics of us chowing.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Excellent! I can't wait to see it! It sounds absolutely wonderful!

Got room for one more????? :lol:

It really does sound great (your meal)! Good luck with it and post pics if you take them!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Excellent suggestion, Keltin! Fun, impressive, different!

Lee

K

Kimchee

You can use the greens from spring or green onions to tie the rolls closed, too. :)

Great ideas. Some other ideas, for the future, perhaps... I like to serve stuffed peppers with a stuffed tomato or French onion soup. If carbs were not a prob, stuff the tomatoes with good ole mac 'n cheese, orzo, or couscous. Slice the tomato to look like a flower, & place the filling in the center. Or, serve with Portobello fries & a dipping sauce. Fresh fruit & yogurt parfaits for dessert.

Last edited: