Tutorial Request thread

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This thread is to make a wish list of tutorials. We have so much talent here (and some of us have so much to learn. LOL) Keltin has graciously posted our first tutorial on breaking down a whole chicken. With a list of other requests, maybe members who happen to be doing or making that particular thing can snap some pics or take some video and teach others!

Mama has already requested a bread making tutorial and a knife honing tutorial, I think.

I would love a tutorial on making fresh pasta and making pie crust from scratch.

Please add your ideas for helpful tutorials and we can get this show on the road.

Oh, as a side note, if you make video (or take pics) and need help posting, let us know. I will find someone who can help or even do it for you.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’d like a good tutorial on good biscuits! I’m no baker, and I’ve made many a hockey puck. I did manage once to make some decent biscuits, but I think it was a fluke as I haven’t had luck lately.

I’d like to see things addressed such as do I have to use Regular flour plus baking powder & baking soda, or can good biscuits be made with self-rising flour? What about fat content? Can I use liquid oil or does it have to be lard? Eggs? Should they be added.

How much should you “work” the dough? Does it need to rise?

What are the whys and hows of making something as simple as biscuits…..that I can’t seem to grasp!!!

There has to be a simple, sure-fire, works-every-time method for making biscuits that is totally eluding me!!

Also, tutorials on simple bread. I’d like to try it, but baking is a chemistry nightmare for me.

And I second the idea for a tutorial on fresh pasta!

When it involves flour, I’m “challenged”! :lol:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I make hockey pucks all the time, LOL!

Good, soft, dinner rolls would be tops on my list.

A couple of tutorials on smoking meats comes to mind as well, especially if this year I get the smoker I was supposed to get last year!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I have a tutorial on making no-knead bread using parchment paper for dough handling, and one for making cinnamon rolls. Before posting them here, do you think it would be a good idea to create an area JUST for tutorial storage? There could be general topic headers under it for organization purposes, but this would keep all tutorials in one location. Just curious....

CharlieD

Yes, Joe, it's a great Idea to creat an area, like a Master Class, picks with just short instructions. Maybe have recipe where it belongs with a remark that there is a Instruction, for it.

P.S. of the top of my had would be bread baking and baking in general.

K

Kimchee

I'd say just put the Tutorials in the category already existing, maybe as a sticky thread.
Less links, less compartmentalization.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I'd say just put the Tutorials in the category already existing, maybe as a sticky thread.
Less links, less compartmentalization.

So basically put the tutorial in with matching recipes? Sounds good, but what about tutorials that may not be for a specific recipe? That might cause some confusion even if left at the top as a sticky.
At the same time, I can see what you are saying about them having their own forum, then subdividing it for each type of tutorial.
I would say just start out with a forum the tutorials and then see how it goes. If it gets too big and therefore would be hard to search, we could see how it might be broken down and subdivided then.

On the subject of tutorials, I wonder if I could get the wife to let me film her making homemade pie crusts. She is pretty good at it.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Possibly you need the tutorials in a locked area or minimal debate otherwise there may some mega "discussions" on opposing methods or different ways of doing things.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
All good ideas. The sticky threads can get to be an issue. Too many stickies and the first page of any given forum has little or no new content. It throws people off.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I say make a new sub-forum in the reference forum called Tutorials and put them all there? :smile:

That way, the Reference Forum will truly be your one stop reference center.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
So...where do they go? I'll post one on my cheddar biscuits if someone will tell me where.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Possibly you need the tutorials in a locked area or minimal debate otherwise there may some mega "discussions" on opposing methods or different ways of doing things.

Good point, maybe they should be locked to prevent that from happening, otherwise I agree we could end up with a long thread full of debate on opposing methods which would only serve to confuse someone reading or watching the tutorial.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
We'd probably do it like we do the Reference section. One locked thread in the tutorials and one open one in the appropriate area.