Tamarind

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I know this is a stupid question, but what IS tamarind? I saw that it was used in the "Next Iron Chef" competition but never saw exactly what it was or how it is formally used....
Can anyone clear this up for me? :confused:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think it's some kind of fruit but I have no idea what it tastes like or what you do with it.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I may be totally wrong, but I think it's a thicker, more pungent soy sauce-like sauce.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It is a fruit as Mama said, but I don't know much about it other than it can be eaten raw or cooked. I've seen it but haven't eaten it as far as I know.

GotGarlic

I have a brick of tamarind in my fridge, but I haven't done anything with it yet. I think it's sort of pulverized and dried into the brick, then when you're ready to use it, you re-constitute it. I wanted to try something new but don't really know what to do with it, so there it sits ...

AllenOK

Tamarind is a tropical "fruit". It's extremely sour. It's used in many tropical cuisines much like Lemon Juice is used in French cuisine.

Tamarinds are a "bean-like" pod. The pod is long, about 6" or longer, light brown, with a thin, hard "crust" that's a little thicker than paper. There are distinct bulges in the "pod" where there are seeds inside. Once you break open a pod, you will find the seeds (about twice the size of a Pente game piece), some long fibers, and a sticky, tar-like paste.

The paste is what you want to use.

To get the paste, break some of the pods open, immerse in water, and bring to a boil. Simmer for awhile (I can't remember how long) until the "paste" dissolves. Filter the mess to remove the seeds, fibers, and the covering of the pods. Bring the liquid back to a boil and reduce until thick. How long and how thick, I have no idea.

This is all from my memory of what I read out of either Thrill of the Grill, or License to Grill, both by Chris Schlesinger and Chris Willoughby.

I've never used Tamarind, but I have tasted it. It's EXTREMELY sour! I've seen the pods in my local Wally World, although that was about 12 years ago. I've seen the "bricks" of the rendered pulp/paste in my local Asian grocery store.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I think Allen just explained it very well! I also have tasted it, and yes very sour. I have also seen the bricks in the Thai grocery store we frequent, but have never actually been tempted to bring any home and try and use it.
Since GG already has some maybe we can search around for a recipe calling for it, have her make it, and then she can critique it for us? LOL not to put her on the spot or anything like that...

K

Kimchee

Thanks! The local Kroger and my Asian store sometimes carry the pods, and I have wondered just what to do with them!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Good description Allen. You can also buy the paste already soaked and pulverized. That's probably the 'brick' you have GG. You can also get it as more of a concentrate, in a jar.

It's used frequently in Thai food, especially in Pad Thai. I keep a jar of the concentrate in my fridge just for Pad Thai.

I think there's also a beverage made from tamarind that's popular in Mexico and Central America. I've never tried it, but I see it in the grocery store in cans (like a soda can).

GotGarlic

I think Allen just explained it very well! I also have tasted it, and yes very sour. I have also seen the bricks in the Thai grocery store we frequent, but have never actually been tempted to bring any home and try and use it.
Since GG already has some maybe we can search around for a recipe calling for it, have her make it, and then she can critique it for us? LOL not to put her on the spot or anything like that...

I'd be glad to! Apparently, I need some encouragement to use it :lol:

AllenOK

I'll have to see if I have any recipes typed up that call for it. Vista doesn't really search within a document like XP does.

One or both of the cookbooks mentioned will have at least one recipe calling for tamarind. Otherwise, let the internet be your friend.