I have light tomatoes!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I bought some tomatoes, and while I was picking them out I noticed some were light, and others felt normal. See the pictures below, two tomatoes approximately the same size, but one is 25% lighter!

Just wondering what I should expect. These are for a Thanksgiving Day appetizer, so I won't be able to replace them in time. Should I get new ones now?!

img00145.jpg

img00145t.jpg

img00144d.jpg

homecook

Depends on how you're using them. If you're cutting them and taking out the inside then it shouldn't make a difference.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The weight difference could be due to the amount of water in them as most tomatoes do contain water.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Depends on how you're using them. If you're cutting them and taking out the inside then it shouldn't make a difference.

I'm making bruschetta, so I'll be chopping them, and adding olive oil and basil. I just don't want them to taste nasty, or have a weird texture.

homecook

Oh boy.........that's really hard to say regarding the texture. Personally I don't think they'll be nasty tasting. It just may be that the skin is thicker than the other. I just may go out and get another. lol But, that's just me..............

As long as they are firm to the touch & bright red/ripe, I wouldn't worry about the weight. The difference in weight may be due to the amount of seeds inside. When I pick an eggplant, I choose one that is large in size, but light in weight, as there are less seeds (less bitterness). Happy Thanksgiving :)

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm just going to go with it, and hope for the best! Who's going to complain about free food anyway?!