Whats cooking Wednesday November 18, 2009?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i am thinking linguine with white clams sauce or a tomato sauce. not sure yet. i will decide at work.

what about you?

K

Kimchee

I have a can of beef, a bag of frozen veggies, package of gravy mix, onion and leftover egg noodles.
Voila! Quickie beef stew over noodles, with a salad.

Now what gives you the idea I'm not in the mood to "cook" tonight??? hmmm????
;)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
DW was just going thru her coupons and saw one for Eckrich smoked sausage. At the bottom was a recipe for Cheesy Mac & Veggie Smoked Sausage Casserole, and teh picture looks delicious. So, I guess that's what we are having. Early dinner...last night of bread school. Tonight is sourdough breads and artisan breads.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
i feel a bit punky at the moment. i hope this wonton soup helps my tummy.

everyones dinners sound yummy.

did i miss chow or hasn't he appeared yet?

chowhound

I'm here, peeps. Just haven't checked into the dinner thread yet.

I picked up some clams at the store (uhh, not to be confused with picking up crabs), so I'll steam those and some crab legs tonight for dinner. I've been meaning to try out roasted cauliflower and I bought some of that, too.

Joe, I'd be interested in that recipe. I've got a length of Hillshire smoked sausage all thawed. I might make it tomorrow if it strikes me, and I'm thinking it would.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe, I'd be interested in that recipe. I've got a length of Hillshire smoked sausage all thawed. I might make it tomorrow if it strikes me, and I'm thinking it would.

Fred, this recipe is from Eckrich, but I don't believe the sausage police will visit you if you use Hillshire (go beef!).:lol:

I ended up making dinner, and cheated around the entire recipe. I used tri-color veggie rotini that I boiled, fresh cut broccoli that I steamed, I fried up the cut sausage in my oversized saute pan (I like the crunchy stuff on the sausages when pan fried) , then combined it all in the pan with the sausage and waited for the cheeses to melt. I used Velveeta slices cuz they were in the fridge, and shredded sharp cheddar. I'm not always a follower of directions, especially if I'm in a hurry.

It was delicious, and be sure to have the hot sauce out to enhance the cheeses. DW made a lovely salad to go along with it, and we had pudding cups for dessert. Now it's off to bread school.

P1020248.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I have a can of beef, a bag of frozen veggies, package of gravy mix, onion and leftover egg noodles.
Voila! Quickie beef stew over noodles, with a salad.

Now what gives you the idea I'm not in the mood to "cook" tonight??? hmmm????
;)

Ditto. I've been working all day (and for the next few days) unpacking. building furniture, trying to figure out where to put all the garbage, and hauling crap around. Moving is a PITA. At least I'm back in FL so I think I'll head over to Pelican Larry's, slurp a couple dozen oysters, and wash it down with a pint 'a Guinness. Pix to follow later of course.... :sun3:

Deelady

I'm almost having the exact same dinner Lucky! Except instead of chicken I am having Shake N Bake country pork ribs

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It's cold and dismal here today so I used the leftover mustard greens to make white bean and mustard greens soup and made cornbread to go with it.

Attachments

• wbmgsoup.jpg
    wbmgsoup.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 136

chowhound

Joe, you lost me on the Eckrich/sausage police thing... I take it Eckrich is beef sausage? I never even heard of beef sausage, so don't know. It sure looks good though. Mine will be done stovetop like yours. Good job. Your picture looks a LOT better than the one in the recipe. The sausage looks much more appetizing.

Nice leg quarter, Trim. Beautiful color. Good looking meal.

Hey Mama, I picked up a can of mustard greens in the store today. I know, probably not the same thing, but it's a start! lol.

chowhound

Very nice, Dee. I just had some mashed taters and butter the other night, good stuff. And the pork ribs look great.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Ditto. I've been working all day (and for the next few days) unpacking. building furniture, trying to figure out where to put all the garbage, and hauling crap around. Moving is a PITA. At least I'm back in FL so I think I'll head over to Pelican Larry's, slurp a couple dozen oysters, and wash it down with a pint 'a Guinness. Pix to follow later of course.... :sun3:

Guinness, one dozen oysters, and a Cuban sandwich. It was too dark to take pictures inside with my iPhone. I like to eat in the covered outside area where cigar smoking goes well with the oysters and beer. :wink:

I'm full - and happy.

Attachments

• PelicanLarrys.jpg
    PelicanLarrys.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 129

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Joe, you lost me on the Eckrich/sausage police thing... I take it Eckrich is beef sausage? I never even heard of beef sausage, so don't know. It sure looks good though. Mine will be done stovetop like yours. Good job. Your picture looks a LOT better than the one in the recipe. The sausage looks much more appetizing.

Nice leg quarter, Trim. Beautiful color. Good looking meal.

Hey Mama, I picked up a can of mustard greens in the store today. I know, probably not the same thing, but it's a start! lol.

If they are not seasoned, you may want to doctor them up a bit. Put in a little chicken base, some bacon drippings, maybe some crumbled bacon and a few hot pepper flakes. I cook all my mustard, turnip and collard greens in a chicken broth...takes away any bitterness. :thumb:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have to agree, love all these pictures. Now if I could just steal the camera back from the wife so I could post my own again...

chowhound

Thanks, Mama. I'll check out the can closely and see what I need to do.

In case I decide to dive in without plating...

First attempt at roasted cauliflower. I'm really looking forward to this. Lemon juice, EVOO, s&p, garlic.
roasted caul1.jpg

A dozen middleneck clams.
clams1.jpg

Some crab legs.
crab legs1.jpg

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
If they are not seasoned, you may want to doctor them up a bit. Put in a little chicken base, some bacon drippings, maybe some crumbled bacon and a few hot pepper flakes.
OMG - this is the best kept secret of all good cooks - bacon drippings! Recently my "good cook" neighbor let me in on the concept that everything tastes better with bacon drippings. And so far, it has panned out for me. Last week I microwaved a couple of cans of baked beans (the same ones I've been heating up for years) and my family raved about them this time! The difference was I added bacon drippings! This stuff is gold, I tell you.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
OMG - this is the best kept secret of all good cooks - bacon drippings! Recently my "good cook" neighbor let me in on the concept that everything tastes better with bacon drippings. And so far, it has panned out for me. Last week I microwaved a couple of cans of baked beans (the same ones I've been heating up for years) and my family raved about them this time! The difference was I added bacon drippings! This stuff is gold, I tell you.

I NEVER throw bacon drippings away. I keep a container in the fridge at all times.

As for the canned baked beans, you can also add a little ketchup, mustard and brown sugar along with the bacon drippings for some awesome baked beans.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Its a pork fat thing Terry, you know everything goes better with bacon. :smile:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I NEVER throw bacon drippings away. I keep a container in the fridge at all times.

As for the canned baked beans, you can also add a little ketchup, mustard and brown sugar along with the bacon drippings for some awesome baked beans.
and a touch of molasses

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's why I use brown sugar...the darker the sugar the more molasses it has.