Popcorn!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
So nuked in the bag, or made on the stove top?

I like some of the microwave popcorn brands, but nothing beats making it fresh on the stove in either a big pot or like my grandma used to make it, in a covered CI skillet.

I like: 1/2 stick of butter melted with a little peanut oil added, then the corn.
Seasoned with parmesan cheese and garlic salt.
Dad used to love his heavily buttered with celery salt.
I also sprinkle on Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning at times.

How about you?

Wart

Banned
Stove made in a tall sided sauce pan.

Just enough kernels to cover the bottom, just enough oil to come 1/2 way up the kernels, and have at it with the burner.

Finished with Butter, Lots of butter. and some find ground salt.

homecook

On the stovetop, definitely!

Lots and lots and lots of butter!! Dripping down your hand lots of butter. :lol: oh and salt too.

AllenOK

PeppA just bought a big box of microwave popcorn over the weekend. The last three bags were popped today. The kids go nuts over the stuff.

The last time I bought a bag of regular popcorn, it was "black" popcorn from Meijers. Lots of old maids, the kernels that did pop were small and tough. I'm not sure if it was just that particular kind, or if they were just old. I'm leaning towards "old", as I never saw the quantity of bags change on the shelf for awhile.

Personally, I LOVE air-popped popcorn, with loads of melted butter poured over. I have been having a hankerin' for popcorn balls lately, and plain air-popped popcorn would be needed.

Now, I need to find an air popper.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
On the stove. DW had a recipe for popcorn cake and asked me how to make popcorn. I put about as much oil as Wart said in the pan, drop in tow kernels and wait till they pop, then put the rest in, just cover the bottom, of my Stock pot. Shake while popping. DW had never had anything but microwave. Se was blown away and won't touch microwave now.

Mom used to make something with molasses on the stove (Wish I knew what it was and how to make it). We poured it over the popcorn mixed it with out hands and balled it. All the time keeping out hands well buttered. Great family fun, great popcorn. Another lost tradition.

I like the celery salt and will try it.

Andy

Deelady

I use to always make stove top growing up but now we just buy the microwave kind.....kettle corn is our favorite!! :)

buckytom

Grill Master
this thread is going to make me go out and buy a pan of jiffy pop, or maybe even an air popper. i haven't had anything but nuked popcorn in years.

actually, nuked popcorn has been banned at my job because with all of the air conditioning and air flow for all of the computers, you can smell a bag of it an entire avenue away.

ok, so does anyone else like to crunch on the unpopped or slightly popped kernels? i dig for them as soon as i can.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You use a hot air popper, Charlie, like this. To be honest - it doesn't taste nearly as good as the stuff popped in oil and covered in butter, but that is the reason behind air popping. Hot air popped corn has very few calories and doesn't give you butter fingers!

Attachments

• hotairpopper.jpg
    hotairpopper.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 182

CharlieD

Hm, interesting, I used to buy microwave popcorn, but as of late all of them are dairy and that means I cannot have it. Also I do not want to deal with stove top, something like this might be just what I need. Thank you.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
i love air popped. I will also sit down and eat a bag of microwave - but are not so good and our microwave will sometimes burn them. Used to do a lort of stov when I was a kid.

Has anyone ever popped their own corn - letting a cob of corn dry completely and then twist the kernels off and stove pop them - we used as kids.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Hm, interesting, I used to buy microwave popcorn, but as of late all of them are dairy and that means I cannot have it. Also I do not want to deal with stove top, something like this might be just what I need. Thank you.
You're welcome, Charlie. I think these things run about $20 brand new and we really do use ours almost daily. Plus, you just put your serving bowl under the spout and it shoots the popped corn right into the bowl! No mess and even my 7 year old can make it.

buckytom

Grill Master
i love air popped. I will also sit down and eat a bag of microwave - but are not so good and our microwave will sometimes burn them. Used to do a lort of stov when I was a kid.

Has anyone ever popped their own corn - letting a cob of corn dry completely and then twist the kernels off and stove pop them - we used as kids.

that sounds neat, mini. does it require a particular variety of corn?

i've nuked popped corn that the kernels were still attached to the cob. sort of a novelty thing.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

Anyone want to add to this thread? I'm thinking about trying Sass' father's celery salt idea.

Oh, I have a question: just bought a new jar of popcorn kernels - store in the fridge or no?

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

Anyone want to add to this thread? I'm thinking about trying Sass' father's celery salt idea.

Oh, I have a question: just bought a new jar of popcorn kernels - store in the fridge or no?

Lee

I don't think I've ever stored jarred popcorn in the fridge.
Of course, it never last long enough to have to do that. lol

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
for popcorn to pop, the moisture content of the kernels is important.

the fridge is 'too dry' - it'll reduce the moisture content and you'll have a lot more unpopped stuff in the bottom.

I use an air popper - simple, dumb, easy, foolproof. using a towel draped over the output chute to 'contain' the popcorn in a stainless bowl.

then I melt butter in the microwave, drizzle & salt & toss- bingo!

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just tried some popcorn with celery salt. Pretty much tasted the salt, not so much the celery. Maybe I'll add some celery powder next time.

Corn was too chewy again. I never know if it's the age of the corn or the pot I'm using.

This was a brand-new, sealed jar.

Next time, I will try a pot with a larger steam vent.\

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Here's something that's worthy of a look ....
(Attached)

Attachments

• popcorn.pdf
    521.8 KB · Views: 458