Whats cooking Monday November 16, 2009?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
not sure yet whats for dinner. i'll think about it during the day.

whats your plans?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Me and DW are doing day two of feeding the church peeps. Dogs, steak fries & salad for about 150-175. Small crowd tonight.

suziquzie

So, I'm well enough to want to cook again, but I can't taste anything yet. Discovered that last night. :(

Maybe DH's version of goulash since it has no taste to it anyway :)

chowhound

What's the function at church, Joe? That's a lot of goings on to have a back to back, and it's too late for a fair of some sorts...

Suzi, was that some sort of subliminal compliment for yout DH's goulash? lol

I'll have a big mug of soup sometime during the day, but don't know about tonight's dinner yet.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Taking Buzz out to dinner tonight so it will depend on what he feels like eating as to where we go.

K

Kimchee

Salmon, but I'm not sure how I am gonna fix it.
We usually marinate it in a mix of olive oil, cajun spices and Durkee's Citrus Seasoning, which is REALLY good.
But I am wanting something different, maybe Thai/Vietnamese influenced. hmmmmm

homecook

I'm not really sure........thinking about roasting a chicken. I also have some catfish I may fry up. Time will tell when DH gets up and son gets home from work..

Glad you're feeling better Suzi!!

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm in a cooking rut. It seems like we eat the same ol' things over and over. We had beef stroganoff last night for the umpteenth time. I need to get some inspiration and come up with something brand new. I'll have to see what strikes my fancy.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
What's the function at church, Joe? That's a lot of goings on to have a back to back, and it's too late for a fair of some sorts...
We have a monthly religious education program for families called Generations of Faith, where the entire family participates as opposed to sending the kids to CCD class and the parents not getting any continuing education. This is primarily for the families with kids in the public schools, as religious education is part of the curriculum at our Catholic school, but we have some families who participate in both programs. Part of the process is the families being served a simple meal, and since we have around 700 people involved in the program, it's broken up into Saturday morning (Continental breakfast served), then Sunday evening and Monday evenings, both which a larger meal is served. Some months we have pizza and salads with cookies for desssert, and other months we do dinners like Mac-n-Cheese, Burgers-n-fries or pasta-n-salad with rolls. We try to mix it up so it doesn't get boring, but we also cannot get carried away because there is a budget we have to work within. The families contribute to the cost of the program and meals, so it's pretty much a break even scenario. Me and DW are in charge of the Sunday and Monday meals, and we do all the dining hall and serving line setups (we serve off of 2 lines to expedite things), as well as all food prep, serving and cleanup. We usually have 6-8 volunteers for serving and beverage service, and do it all in a full commercial kitchen with dishwasher, 2 6-burner conventional stoves with ovens, 2 5-shelf convection ovens and 2 deep fryers that can drop 10# of fries at a pop, as well as warmers and a proofing box for bread. It generally takes us 3 hours to prep for serving 250-300 people, and we get them all through the lines in under 20 minutes. Then there is about 1-2 hours of cleanup for the kitchen and the dining hall.

We enjoy giving of our time because we see the good results of the program in bringing families together to share a meal and strengthen their bond with their faith community. We have been involved in our church for over 25 years, and I usually tell people it's the one thing that keeps me out of the beer joint, to which DW says...:twak: Oh, and we have over 4,300 registered families comprising more than 11,000 people in our parish. I believe we are the 4th largest parish in the Cleveland Catholic Diocese. When you are this big, there is always someplace anyone can find a place to volunteer if they want to.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Maybe DH's version of goulash since it has no taste to it anyway :)
:yum::yum::yum: My version tastes bad so you hubby has one up on me! I'm glad you're better, but it sucks not to be able to taste anything. Allergy meds affect one of my sons that way.

chowhound

That's interesting, Joe. I am no longer a church goer and have no idea if that is offered around here. Now I can see why it runs into the week.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Bravo, JoeV! I remember as a kid the pot luck suppers and the EYC (Episcopal Youth Group). It was loads of fun and kept the teens off the streets. But it was a very small church I attended. I can't imagine trying to cook for that many folks!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Bravo, JoeV! I remember as a kid the pot luck suppers and the EYC (Episcopal Youth Group). It was loads of fun and kept the teens off the streets. But it was a very small church I attended. I can't imagine trying to cook for that many folks!
I have to say that I agonize more over making dinner for 10-12 people in our home, than I do with cooking for the big crowds. When you have multiple stoves and ovens and big warmers to keep foods fresh, it really makes a big difference in your confidence level. That being said, I'm going to look at an electric range/oven this afternoon for the basement. When I do big bakes, it will reduce the time by half by having another oven, plus it will be good for Christmas when we have around 22-25 people for dinner. Time to buy some more sheet pans as well.:clap:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Wow! I never thought of that. A second range in the basement! It's brilliant. My mind is racing now - I have an extra stove and a basement. (My husband is going to kill you, Joe.)

Meme4251

:applause:Way to go JoeV! They couldn't have picked better cooks to head this large congregation. I applaud you and your DW...:clap:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
boneless skinless chicken breast somehow. i think i will make some veggie fried rice to go with and maybe carrots steamed and buttered. not sure, rice may get kicked for potatoes or stuffing.

chowhound

I had a big soup mug full of soup an hour ago. I'm not even sure I'll be hungry tonight, which is just fine. I wouldn't want cooking supper to interfere with lighting candles for the Browns fiasco that is going to be on national television tonight.

homecook

I had a big soup mug full of soup an hour ago. I'm not even sure I'll be hungry tonight, which is just fine. I wouldn't want cooking supper to interfere with lighting candles for the Browns fiasco that is going to be on national television tonight.

What is wrong with us??? Self-torture!!!!

I'm going with the catfish, potatoes of some kind and spinach salad. I don't know the veggie yet.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
gahh! I wanted to put my stir fry over rice, but I am out!
Wellllllll it's rainy, cold and horrible here today, my butt is staying planted right here in my jammies (still).
I shall eat it sans the rice with no trip to the store.
Gotta love days off when the weather sucks lol

GotGarlic

gahh! I wanted to put my stir fry over rice, but I am out!
Wellllllll it's rainy, cold and horrible here today, my butt is staying planted right here in my jammies (still).
I shall eat it sans the rice with no trip to the store.
Gotta love days off when the weather sucks lol

You could put it over spaghetti or linguine noodles and call it lo mein :smile:

I picked up some cod today when I was at the grocery store for a salad bar lunch. Not sure what I'll do with it yet. I was cleaning up some piles of collected recipes in the kitchen over the weekend and I know I saw a couple of white fish recipes I've been wanting to try. I'll know more later :smile:

K

Kimchee

I'm going to bread and fry the salmon and serve it with a spicy garlic shallot sauce. Is REALLY good with catfish; for the salmon I am going to increase the citrus aspects a bit.
Will have some mushroom Basmati rice and stirfried veggies.. whatever is on sale probably.

If I remember to take them, I'll post pictures.

homecook

I'm going to bread and fry the salmon and serve it with a spicy garlic shallot sauce. Is REALLY good with catfish; for the salmon I am going to increase the citrus aspects a bit.
Will have some mushroom Basmati rice and stirfried veggies.. whatever is on sale probably.

If I remember to take them, I'll post pictures.

Do you have a recipe for the sauce?? I may try it next time. TIA

Deelady

Harvest Select's Italian wedding meatball soup at least for now....I have a feeling I'm going to get hungry again later :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Harvest Select's Italian wedding meatball soup at least for now....I have a feeling I'm going to get hungry again later :D

Or as me and now my kids call it "That Again". My grandmother used to make it her way which was great. We called it that again because she made so much of it at one time we got it for lunch a couple of times a week till it was gone. Love the stuff and so do my kids.