Saturday Dinner 14 November

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Mom, what's for dinner??? (that was a little ditty from a supermarket commercial back in the 70s)

So, whatcha cookin' tonight my friends??

chowhound

Re: Satyrday Dinner 14 November

I think I'll be cooking some soup today.
I'm going to take the leftover veggies and broth from last night and blend it. Then pull the pork off the two ribs I had leftover. Add it all to a pot with some broth and barley. Maybe vegitize it again with peas, carrots and dried tomatoes.

Of course, that doesn't mean that's what I'm having for dinner, but that's what I know I'll be cooking at this time in the morning.

homecook

It's going up to 65 today so I might grill burgers or something depending on what strikes me at dinner time.

buckytom

Grill Master

ugh, work work work.

working on an upgrade for the evening news clips/still store system, so i got stuck 'till 9 last night, and i'm here until midnight tonight. unless i wig out.

my little guy was crying this morning when he realized i wouldn't be home again all day. he tried to convince me that i'll get sick if i go out in the rain, repeating dw's warnings to him. i made a deal with him that i'll bring him into the city tomorrow, and we'll go for a bike ride in central park. dressed up in painted boxes as transformers, no less. :thumb:

anywho, i need to eat something healthy; feelin' crappy, so i'm thinking just "secret ingredient" soup for dinner, with a side of broccoli in garlic sauce.

GotGarlic

Stay dry, Bucky! You don't want to get sick! :wink: The storm has finally moved out of here - we just have drizzles left now.

I have about a pound of maple-roasted pork loin left over - I was thinking I'd cube it up and make sweet and sour pork over rice, with lots of bell peppers and onion, along with gyoza from the Chinese market.

buckytom

Grill Master

hmmm, or maybe sweet and sour pork.

lol. there goes the eatin' healthy idea.

gg, how do you make your sweet and sour sauce?

imo, it's more of the sauce that makes good chinese food, rather than the blast furnace wok.

GotGarlic

hmmm, or maybe sweet and sour pork.

lol. there goes the eatin' healthy idea.

gg, how do you make your sweet and sour sauce?

imo, it's more of the sauce that makes good chinese food, rather than the blast furnace wok.

I agree about the sauce; I think peanut oil is important, too. Many many moons ago, before I learned to cook, I cooked practically everything with corn oil, having grown up in the Midwest. Then I got a Chinese cookbook which recommended peanut oil - that's when my stir-fries started tasting really authentic.

I use the recipe for sweet and sour meatballs from my Betty Crocker cookbook - 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp. cornstarch, the juice from 1 large can of pineapple chunks, 1/3 cup white vinegar and 1 tbsp. soy sauce. Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in the skillet, add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce to simmer and simmer for 10 minutes, covered. It makes a nice light brown sauce, not the yucky sticky red stuff.

buckytom

Grill Master

thanks gg. copied and saved. :a1:

many of my stir fries taste alike, so i'd like to learn to make different sauces. so far i make a good, basic ginger and garlic brown sauce, and spicy black bean sauce, and a good wine sauce for steak kew. hopefully i'll add sweet and sour soon. :thumb:

Cooksie

Site Supporter

I agree about the sauce; I think peanut oil is important, too. Many many moons ago, before I learned to cook, I cooked practically everything with corn oil, having grown up in the Midwest. Then I got a Chinese cookbook which recommended peanut oil - that's when my stir-fries started tasting really authentic.

I use the recipe for sweet and sour meatballs from my Betty Crocker cookbook - 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp. cornstarch, the juice from 1 large can of pineapple chunks, 1/3 cup white vinegar and 1 tbsp. soy sauce. Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in the skillet, add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce to simmer and simmer for 10 minutes, covered. It makes a nice light brown sauce, not the yucky sticky red stuff.

That's good to know. I'm going to try peanut oil instead of vegetable oil in my next stir fry.

GrantsKat

So far I have a london broil defrosting, not sure if we are grilling and what else we are having with it......

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

that sounds yummy. can carrots and peppers be added like the restaurant? i had always thought it was made with apricot preserves.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

something with chicken, probably slit pocket into each breast and stuff with something.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

After all of Fred's talk about wings yesterday, I'm thinking wings tonight.

GrantsKat

I've got a pork loin defrosting and not sure what I'm going to do with it........LOL

lol! I may have to come to your house for dinner, I dont think mine will defrost in time........get the beers ready!!!!!:alc::mrgreen:

Deelady

Pork loin roasted with fettucini alfredo Barb!!! my birthday request growing up!! :D

GotGarlic

that sounds yummy. can carrots and peppers be added like the restaurant? i had always thought it was made with apricot preserves.

Sure. That was just the sauce part of the recipe - the whole thing includes meatballs, onions, a green bell pepper and pineapple chunks. I'm going to use this sauce recipe for the pork loin I already have and add more bell peppers than the recipe calls for.

I've seen different recipes for sweet and sour sauce - I really like this one, especially since we like having pineapple in the dish.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter

Take out!
This is my weekend to work :(
Btw..........

MAMA!!!!!!!!!:yum::flowers:

Blues Man

I have the smoker fired up today since it was so nice out today. Planning on vac-packing for the winter............

I am planning on smoking some Sockeye salmon fillets, a breakfast fattie, meatballs and chicken quarters today.

I will post some pics a little later ..........

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

for lunch we had the last of the roast and burgundy gravy from last night. sliced thin roast, split poppy seed roll, hot gravy on both sides of roll, slices of cold roast beef, close roll, cover with dome and nuke for 20 seconds. the meat is just warm and the roll is warm, steamy and soft. it was sooooooooooooooooo good!! no pics everyone gobbled them up!!

Blues Man

Here are some of the finished pics ..........

Smoked Sockeye salmon basted with soy sauce and brown sugar. Planning on shreading the salmon for spicy salmon egg rolls and a salmon cheese dip over the holidays.

100_0960.jpg

The breakfast fattie with scrambled eggs, pan fried potatoes and cheddar cheese.

100_0959.jpg

100_0961.jpg

100_0967.jpg

And the meatballs for meatball sub sandwiches later on .............

100_0963.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Nice Blues Man! You've been busy.

chowhound

Great idea putting scrambled eggs in the fattie, Blues.

Barb, Ol-Blue's roast pork loin gets my vote.

I picked up some things when I was out today, so dinner will be FRESH tonight (no thawing)! I'm going to grill a ribeye I picked up at a meat market along with a baked potato, and sear some scallops. I've got some sugar snap peas and miniature white mushrooms I'll fix, too. And plenty of brewskis.

homecook

Great idea putting scrambled eggs in the fattie, Blues.

Barb, Ol-Blue's roast pork loin gets my vote.

I picked up some things when I was out today, so dinner will be FRESH tonight (no thawing)! I'm going to grill a ribeye I picked up at a meat market along with a baked potato, and sear some scallops. I've got some sugar snap peas and miniature white mushrooms I'll fix, too. And plenty of brewskis.

Is that the one in the DO in the oven???
I really want to do it on the grill. It's 70 degrees out here!
I've got a few more in the freezer (BOGO) so when it cools down I'll make Ol-Blue's. It does look great. Thanks for the suggestion.

Looks good Blues Man!!!!

Last edited:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter

Lamb chop with tomato sauce, garlic bread and veggies

Shermie

Site Supporter

Yeah, nice job, Blues Man!

I'm marinating some chicken drumsticks in some Buttermilk Ranch dressing to make some Buttermilk Fried Chicken. A comfort food!

Might have some rice and beans with it.

chowhound

That sounds interesting, Shermie. Does the chicken pick up the flavor well? How exactly do you fry that, pull them out of the dressing and dredge in something?
Recipe please...