For those in the flood areas....

homecook

Prayers going out to you all........please stay safe!!

I have a cousin in VA Beach, her mom's house (my aunt) has water already coming in.....

homecook

Yep, it's really bad too! VA Beach, Nags Head, NC, alot of the southern states. I think MD, AL.......

Deelady

I was in the middle of posting a reply here when the site was shut down.....

Prayers being sent!! Did your family have to leave or are they riding it out?

GotGarlic

L2Q and I live in the same town. I'm not sure exactly where in the city he lives. Some areas flood easily, others not so much. I hope he and his family are okay.

DH and I are fine here - our elevation is about 10 feet - but other parts of the city are under water, particularly downtown, and just a few blocks away from us, the street floods during an ordinary thunderstorm. The neighborhood was built around 100 years ago, and parts of it were built over filled-in creeks where the water still wants to go. Just about everything is closed down again today.

homecook

My aunt has been without power since yesterday. I'm not exactly sure of the area where she lives I just know they're in VA Beach. My cousin does have power but it flickers on and off.

GotGarlic

My aunt has been without power since yesterday. I'm not exactly sure of the area where she lives I just know they're in VA Beach. My cousin does have power but it flickers on and off.

Bummer. According to the local news, there are some places where the flooding is so bad, the power company trucks can't get through to make repairs. It could be a while before they get power back.

We just came back from a walk around the block - we're a half block from the river and the street along the river is covered with debris, including big pieces of concrete and logs that probably came from old submerged piers. It's a huge mess. I saw one tree broken off at the base down by the river - that was some wind last night. At least it fell away from the house.

Deelady

Glad to hear you guys are safe GG!

Last wind storm we had neighborhoods a block away had no power for over two weeks! We were very lucky and only lost out power for about 4 hrs.....but it made me VERY nervous because I was home alone with Ayla and I knew at night it would drop below freezing.

homecook

Wow GG. Yes, so glad you're safe.

My cousin said it sounded like a freight train coming through last night. My aunt without the power uses oxygen occasionally. My cousin can't get to her so hopefully she won't need it anytime soon.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
My beautiful jersey shore is underwater, miles of beach washing out to sea, schools all closed today..and they still have 3 more high tides to get through before the worst is over.

Love2"Q"

we survived .. kinda .. lets see .. mater bedroom ceiling is gone ..
master bath ceiling is gone .. cabinets in kithcen might be saved ..
all counter tops will have to be replaced .. kitchen floor is gone ..
half bath floor is gone .. laundry room floor is gone ..
and to top it off .. i work for a storm restoration company ...
so i worked unitll 11 every night last week and through the weekend ..

homecook

Love2"Q", so sorry you had to go through all that, but yes YOU survived!! My thoughts and prayers go out to you to give you the strength to restore all your things......

Deelady

Im so sorry to hear that Love2Q! Glad to know your guys are safe though.....hope restoring goes better than expected :(

chowhound

Great to hear from you, Q, although what you just described sounds devastating. Here your own place got hit and your work is in the same field. You must be one whooped dude. And with your own restoration work ahead of you that can't give you any time to relax the brain... going from one project to the next, then your own still ahead...
My thoughts are with you. Hang tough.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Omg Q!
I am so sorry to hear that!!
Like Fred said, hang tough.
You'll get through it all in time.
Hugs and good thoughts AND prayers gonna go out to you and your family.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Hang in there, Q. The good news is that you're all okay. Sorry about the huge cleanup ahead though.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to heat that Q but like they told me after Hurricane Andrew if all it takes is money then it isn't really broken. You are safe and that is what really counts when all is said and done.

Love2"Q"

thanks everyone ...
funny thing .. mold takes 2 days to start growing ...
i was told 9-10 by the adjuster ...
also he has super powers .. he can see mold and
water damage through the back of cabinets and drywall ...
i just called my lawyer ...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
thanks everyone ...
funny thing .. mold takes 2 days to start growing ...
i was told 9-10 by the adjuster ...
also he has super powers .. he can see mold and
water damage through the back of cabinets and drywall ...
i just called my lawyer ...

Be very careful with mold Q, I have a 45 year old friend who is dieing from black mold in an apartment she lived in for 5 years while working for Public Storage. They don't expect her to see Thanksgiving much less Christmas. I talk to her every couple of days as she trained with Dawn and I when we went into this business. The mold had gotten into the ceiling in her office and apartment which she inhaled daily. Mold can be very deadly so by all means make sure it is stopped. It can be killed but it takes the right stuff.

Love2"Q"

joe .. i am IIRC certified ... Mold mitigation certified ...
i could and will work for fema ....
i know all to much about mold ..
and i was just told by allstate i am not allowed to have a
company come in and dry out ...
i have to wait for the adjuster to say ok ...
mold starts to grow in 48 hours after water stops running ...
and the adjuster told me ..
this is great .. all they have to do is use an air scrubber with a hepa filter
to kill mold .. LMAO .. you do not kill mold without dry ice blasting
or direct sunlight .. that is it ..
morons ...

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
joe .. i am IIRC certified ... Mold mitigation certified ...
i could and will work for fema ....
i know all to much about mold ..
and i was just told by allstate i am not allowed to have a
company come in and dry out ...
i have to wait for the adjuster to say ok ...
mold starts to grow in 48 hours after water stops running ...
and the adjuster told me ..
this is great .. all they have to do is use an air scrubber with a hepa filter
to kill mold .. LMAO .. you do not kill mold without dry ice blasting
or direct sunlight .. that is it ..
morons ...

Suddenly this thread is hitting home. Two days after I arrived at my Wisconsin apartment I came down with the sniffles and it stayed with me all frick'n summer. I've been mostly out of the apartment for the last week and my nose/sinuses/whatever are no longer giving me a problem. So how, or who, do I contact to check it out? Q, you're mold mitigation certified. You must have an association or something or a web site where I can get more info on how to have my place inspected.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know much about it but had it here due to condensation for a heated apartment with metal roofs and insulation that had separated. Luckily we where aware of the problems it would cause and had a contractor come in and pull out all the existing dry wall, then killing the mold, leaving it till it was all gone then putting in all new drywall etc. I could of almost got a bull dozer and knocked down the office/apartment for what it cost but I sure wasn't going to live in it. I have enough sinus and lung problems from all the other crap I inhaled in my life. Dawn (my wife) also sufferers from asthma problems so we are really aware of it.

Didn't know that about you Q so you are equipped to fix it and if it comes down to home owners insurance and your health screw the insurance and do what is necessary. If they give you problems get a sharp lawyer and get them.

Love2"Q"

buzz .. the best thing to do is find a reputable mold mitigation company in your area ..
you are showing the most common signs ..
there is a website i can direct you to but not till i get to work ..
i dont carry the info with me ...
thanks vera ..

Love2"Q"

okie .. buzz .. all the lists of registered mold mitigation companies and
licensed individuals ..
you have to pay to be put on ..
i just learned this on friday ..
also .. my boss .. is epa certifeid ... no list ..
and my license is being held for 3 months because i took the test before i
had the nessacery field hours .. i was 3 short ..
so .. all of this is news to me .. but i am fairly new into mold remediation ..
only been doing it for about a year and a half ..
i am sure that doesnt help you any ..

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I don't know how I missed this - I am so sorry to hear what happened to your house, Q! And you have little kids, too! That makes is so much harder to deal with. How are things coming along? How are y'all holding up?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Somehow I missed this thread. I am so sorry for all this horrible mess some of you and your families are going through--I have had storm damage here and in S. Fla. It can be a major pain in the a$$. Be sure that your insurance company sends out a reputable company to do the repair. Some repair that I had done needed to be redone. Some just do a cosmetic repair and don't really solve any problems.
Q--I am sure you know what to do, I am just sorry for the headache. I will keep you and yours in my prayers.