Whats cooking Wednesday November 11, 2009?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
at the moment the plan is eye roast, mashed taters, mixed veggies or carrots, burgundy gravy and maybe yorkshire pudding.

what about you?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to put some deli seafood salad in a pita pocket, and take along some left over soup, for work din dins.

chowhound

Orange roughy. I think I'll throw some shrimp in the skillet, too.
Any ideas for a green veggie besides broc or beans? Seems like I always have one or the other...

chowhound

I never ate a brussels sprout. What are they like? I seem to remember them stinking like cabbage, which I only eat in slaw or golumpkis.
I've seen them on plates here and they look good, but so did the braised radishes RR made one time. That was a mistake, as I don't eat them either (lol).

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I never ate a brussels sprout. What are they like? I seem to remember them stinking like cabbage, which I only eat in slaw or golumpkis.
I've seen them on plates here and they look good, but so did the braised radishes RR made one time. That was a mistake, as I don't eat them either (lol).
When well seasoned and with a lot of butter, they are the bomb.
Sort of cabbagey tasting AND smelling.
Grilled sprouts might be more up your alley if you ever choose to try them.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Say about 6:30pm...... oh maybe I'll make some brussel sprouts too and Fred can join us. :unsure:
How's about some peas with pearl onions instead?? :in_love:
I'll be there in spirit, as I am eating my stuffed pita and soup at work lol

High Cheese

Saucier
Any ideas for a green veggie besides broc or beans? Seems like I always have one or the other...

Fish and asparagus go great together.

try experimenting with some greens too: spinach, collards. How about bok choy?

suziquzie

dunno, I feel like crap. Last night DH "made" dinner (lol) it was corn dogs and tater tots.... courtesy of my trip to Sam's club in the morning.

Today maybe he'll make fish sticks. I really don't care..... with any luck I'll be dead :(

chowhound

I was thinking of some kind of greens, Jeeks. Like a kicked up spinach. Maybe I'll see if the town store has them when I go over. Since I'm probably going with a cajun spice, the greens would be perfect. Thanks

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
dunno, I feel like crap. Last night DH "made" dinner (lol) it was corn dogs and tater tots.... courtesy of my trip to Sam's club in the morning.

Today maybe he'll make fish sticks. I really don't care..... with any luck I'll be dead :(
I may have missed it but are you sick, girlfriend? That's terrible! Maybe hubby will heat up a can of chicken soup for you tonight. Get better soon.

I have no idea what we'll eat for dinner tonight.

High Cheese

Saucier

Sheesh...it's harder to go to Sams Club than it is to turn on the oven. lol

suziquzie

:p
I felt ok in the morning... probly got sneezed on by some little old lady making sure to pass me before I got near the samples that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole anyway.....

High Cheese

Saucier
I was thinking of some kind of greens, Jeeks. Like a kicked up spinach. Maybe I'll see if the town store has them when I go over. Since I'm probably going with a cajun spice, the greens would be perfect. Thanks

I make spinach very similar to my sauteed asparagus.

Use rough cut frozen spinach, thawed and squeeze out as much water as possible. About 2-3 cloves of garlic sliced Mafia Style, pinch of red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and evoo.

Put a tablespoon or so of evoo in a skillet and lightly cook the garlic just to take the edge off. Turn the heat up to med-high and add the spinach and the red pepper flakes then cook about 1 minute. Add more evoo to loosen the spinach. You don't want it swimming in oil nor do you want it too dry. The oil is actually a big component so use a good one. You'll really need to season with s & p to counter act the oil and spinach. Keep tasting as it's cooking. If you have a bit of white wine open you can deglaze with 1/4 cup just before you add the spinach. The result should be garlicy spinach with a smooth consistancy and a small bite from the red pepper flake.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
how about some:
grilled romaine lettuce
creamed spinach
creamed baby peas and pearl onions

chowhound

Sounds like an interesting recipe, Jeeks, but I'd have to find a way to use fresh spinach. I can't stand frozen. And lol at "sliced mafia style". Goodfellas I assume...

Pearl onions are for vodka gibsons ;^)

Going with brussel sprouts. Gottem picked up already.

High Cheese

Saucier
Sounds like an interesting recipe, Jeeks, but I'd have to find a way to use fresh spinach. I can't stand frozen.

OMG...you're worse than my Aunt Eleanor. :pat:

Add fresh spinach and about 1/4 cup of water (or wine) instead of the frozen spinach. Cover a bit so wilt, then remove the cover to remove any moisture left in the pan before you add the remaining ingredients.

BTW - Frozen spinach is just as good or better then the fresh spinach at the market. Unless they're growing it out back. ;) Same goes with frozen peas, etc. They are frozen pretty much immediately after they are harvested. Canned veg is nasty, except corn.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Left over chicken stew reheated with rice mixed in tyo soak up the juices. Served with brussel sprouts I piclked on my allotment this afternoon.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How you doing the brats, Dee? I don't have much experience with them. I've only braised in beer then grilled them.

Lee