What's your brine?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I started brining the turkey about 8 years ago. I use apple cider, brown sugar, granulated garlic, thyme, sage, rosemary, paprika and kosher salt. I let it soak in that brine for 36 hours.

What do you use?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Last year I used something bery similar to what you posted. In fact, I think you helped me with it.

Then I stuffed the cavity with orange chunks, lemon chunks, apple chunks and sage, rosemary and Thyme. I did the stuffing separately with turkey stock prepared from the giblets.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, kosher salt and spiced depending on the meat I'm doing it with. For turkey I use a bit of rosemary and thyme with the basic brine. I also sometimes use water instead of apple cider vinegar.

homecook

Ok, I know I'm behind the times here.........I'm seriously thinking of brining this year. Can you still stuff the turkey?? Does it impart the flavor of the brine used? Anything else I need to know? lol

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Yess, you can stuff the turkey.
Yes, you get the flavor of the brine. (At least I did, I used Apple cider)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I only brine pork chops, as I don't care for the texture of brined poultry.

For turkey breasts, whether I roast just the breast or the whole turkey, I inject them with Cajun Injector's Creole Butter marinade. Delish!

Lee

smokedturkeybreast.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We go to my brother's home for Thanksgiving, and he does not brine his turkey. When I smoke a chicken, I use the following brine recipe that I found online somewhere:

4 Cups Water
8 Cups Ice Cubes (reserve until the end)
1 Cup Kosher Salt
1-1/2 Cups White Sugar
2 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Dried Rosemary
1 TBS Thyme
1 TBS Dried Chopped Onion
1 TBS Dried Chopped Garlic
1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/8 Cup Molasses
1/8 Cup Worcestershire

I do an overnight brine then rinse well before smoking.

Attachments

• Brined Chicken.jpg
    Brined Chicken.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 105

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I use brown sugar, kosher salt, some fresh garlic and a bay leaf or two. That said, I'm not sure any flavor is added beyond the surface of the poultry. The brining works well and clearly adds moisture to the meat, but I can't seem to distinguish any flavor added beyond the surface of the meat. I believe I read somewhere that the process by which the moisture is added will not also transfer the flavors added by spices and seasonings...

homecook

Thanks for the info.....

Lee, what's with the texture that you don't like?? Does it change alot?

I don't want the brine messing with my stuffing! LOL Otherwise DH would have a conniption fit!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the info.....

Lee, what's with the texture that you don't like?? Does it change alot?

I don't want the brine messing with my stuffing! LOL Otherwise DH would have a conniption fit!!!

It's VERY wet, Barb. Beyond "moist". The two turkeys I tried were almost mushy, so yeah, their texture changed.

I'll now step aside to give the brining fans the opportunity to disagree. :whistle:

Oh, the brine will not interfere with your stuffing if you drain the bird well.

Lee

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I've never brined anything....kinda scared too! I've only heard of brining before deep frying. Can it be done before baking? Do you rinse it? I'm a virgin briner, lol so please excuse the stupid questions

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I always do when done brining. This is especially true if deep frying something like a turkey. I don't brine to smoke a turkey but have in the past just won't this time as I'm doing two turkeys. I will however bast it after two hours of smoking every hour with apple cider.

Deelady

I've never brined anything....kinda scared too! I've only heard of brining before deep frying. Can it be done before baking? Do you rinse it? I'm a virgin briner, lol so please excuse the stupid questions

I'm the same...have never done it before but have always been curious to. Does it still allow you a crispy skin?

Last time I did a Miso rub and we were very happy with those results. And DH desperately wants to deep fry a turkey but he hasn't been able to be home for Thanksgiving few a few years now (this year included, looks like he may be leaving friday :( ) But I promised him the first Thanksgiving he spends at home we will buy a Turkey deep fryer!

CharlieD

Hm, that an interesting dilema, should I brine my chicken, or should I skip to work to make up some time for when I really need ?