Airline Meals

I've had too many of them, don't even want to go there to look! And the only onesw getting real meals any more, if you can call them that, is first class and business class. No, thanks!!

Fred

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I haven't travel by commercial air since they banned smoking on continental flights. If I fly it is private airlines or I fall off a building which isn't likely to happen.

Last edited:

waybomb

I was scrolling through the airlines there sush - would you fly on an airline called phuket?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
All of the flights I have ever been on were too short to serve meals, just a drink and peanuts. So, I have never had the... uh... pleasure of trying them out, LOL.

waybomb

How were the peanuts? And the drink? At the right temperature? Were the stated weights correct?

Oh, just kidding..............

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Last year I flew from Cleveland, OH to Porland, OR to visit my 93 year-young aunt and my cousin. Coach was filled with like 114 people, and the forward-thinging (?) airline chose to equip the plane with 35 coach-class meals at $5 each. As usual, I was in the aft of the aircraft and the food service started right behind first class, and in short order the sammies were all gone. But I was not to go hungry. No, no, no, not me. I had planned ahead the day before by stopping DeSteffano's Deli and picking up 1/2# of Italian Sopprasetta air dried salami, and had it cut wafer thin. I also had 1/2 loaf of my own Italian bread and a small container of fire roasted red peppers in olive oil and some kettle chips. My wife and me each got a beverage from the beverage cart before it went forward (they ran out of those as well), and we had our own little party in the back of the plane. We shared a sammy with a lady next to us who was very nice, and had offers up to $50 (for real) for one of those sandwiches. On the return trip we just got Subway sammies since we couldn't find a decent deli in Portland.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
How were the peanuts? And the drink? At the right temperature? Were the stated weights correct?

Oh, just kidding..............

Peanuts were OK, and the drink was good. But I forgot my thermometer and scale so not sure there...:lol:

Most of the time I was too busy looking out the window. I love flying and am fascinated by it. DW, on the other hand, was gripping the arm rest so hard it left impressions after we left the plane!:unsure:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
In a 31 year airline career I've eaten thousands and thousands of airline meals. A couple of them were okay too, especially lobster and some of the steaks on trans Atlantic flights. Now I can't stand any of it. When I fly out of O'Hare, I always have a couple pieces of left over Lou Malnati's pizza in the backpack. It smells soooooooooooooo good. You should see the looks I get from the other pax as they munch their little cookies......

Snoopy.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Uh, certainly can't carry your own, unless you like being strip searched and detained!!:shock:

Maybe take a tooth brush on and make a shank???:yum:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz, do you have any suggestions on how to prepare a knife to actually cut the stuff? I'm stumped, I've tried everything...

Good question Chico. My answer is "it depends". You don't need too good a knife, plastic or otherwise, to eat stale peanuts. :yuk:

In the old days I used to carry a steak knife with me. Actually it was an EDC, all this before the security craze of course. I used to carry my golf clubs in the C/P to Glasgow and St. Maarten as well but that's no longer an option. In the early 70's when I was a 727 Flight Engineer we had a couple of Captains who kept 45 autos in their kit bags. They were truly men ahead of the times as we now once again have guns in the cockpit.

waybomb

Uh, certainly can't carry your own, unless you like being strip searched and detained!!

On our last trip to Poland, my wife had a knife in her purse that we were given at some event. She didn't know it was there. We did not discover it until we were at her ma's house in Ropczyce.

We went through metal detectors at Ohare and at Frankfort.

Can't imagine what what would have happened had we been "caught"!