Satyrday Dinner - 7 November

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm doing the Wild Game challenge tonight - working with a piece of venison that one of my prep cooks gave me. I'm in unchartered waters here, so I'm going to be working with it in a manner I am familiar with. I'm making a few changes to compliment what I anticipate will be a different flavour to the meat.

The cocktail is still undecided, but I've put the Paddy Cocktail up the flagpole. Now I'm just waiting to see if anyone salutes it.

First course is still a work in progress as well. It's going to include butternut squash, beets and parsnips. Three beautiful colours.....

Dinner is going to be venison ragu over homemade pappardelle . Like I said, I'm tweaking my method just a bit to accomodate the flavour of the meat. Wine will most likely be a cabernet.

Dessert is pumpkin cheesecake. I have to admit, I bought the cheesecake:wink:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I would like to join MGJ for some of that ling cod, but since I have boneless western ribs I will make smothered pork with onions, clelery, carrots and thick sliced potatoes all baking in the gravy. An easy one-pot meal, unless DW wants mashed potatoes .

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I am going out for dinner.
We'll be having steaks, no dessert planned--but something sweet might happen.
:lol:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ooohh Lala Sass! ;)
:yum:No no no Dee, it's nothing like that! lol
My good friend Kevin (gay) is in town.
He's up here from Dayton for the weekend to spend some time with his Mother.
He called me EARLY this morning :dizzy: and talked my ear off.
Now.. the sweet part comes in if and ONLY if I can talk him into finally giving me his killer recipe for a lemon cream flip cake.
It's out of this world.
Shall I twist his arm? Do you think he'll scream like a girl?:tongue:

homecook

I need to make the pork loin that I didn't get to yesterday. I think I'll do it on the grill. Butternut squash, au gratin potatoes (me and DS) and noodles alfredo (DH).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well Vera based on the way you spelled Saturday (Satyrday) you are still recovering from last nights dinner. :dizzy:

We really haven't decided yet and will once we go shopping this afternoon.

Mr. Green Jeans

I would like to join MGJ for some of that ling cod, but since I have boneless western ribs I will make smothered pork with onions, clelery, carrots and thick sliced potatoes all baking in the gravy. An easy one-pot meal, unless DW wants mashed potatoes .

Wish I could deliver you some finger spuds from my garden in time for tonight's dinner. They make a tasty smashed 'tater.

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, i thought the same thing josie. or maybe lou is in for another night of debauchery.

i'm not sure what's on the menu, yet. all we have is gorund turkey in the fridge, which i was planning on using in a fattie monday, so i don't know if dw has another plan or not.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Joe and Bucky:twak::twak:...my spelling of Satyrday is an homage to the pagans. But, thank you, indeed Lou and I have more debauched behaviour on the horizon, I am sure.
xoxoxo

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We are doing Meat Loaf, mashed potatoes and broccoli, corn or salad, haven't decided yet on that.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Just got back from 8 hours driving collecting a moon chair.

So just threw some stuff into a frying pan and added toast. There was onion, burgers, egg and potato cake (sort of).

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
we were running around most of the day. we ate at a diner mid day and i stopped at stop n shop for a couple odds and ends. i bought canned soup and it seems like thats all anyone wants at the moment.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I bought some chicken thigh fajita meat the other day, and we had some really good chicken fajitas last night. I usually buy the chicken breast fajita meat, but this thigh meat was really good. I'll probably buy it from now on.

So.......I have 1/2 package of the uncooked fajita meat left. I'm thinking that I'm going to brown the rest of the meat in the CI skillet, then make an alfredo sauce, and put it over pasta. I have alfredo on the brain :brows:.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm doing the Wild Game challenge tonight - working with a piece of venison that one of my prep cooks gave me. I'm in unchartered waters here, so I'm going to be working with it in a manner I am familiar with. I'm making a few changes to compliment what I anticipate will be a different flavour to the meat.

The cocktail is still undecided, but I've put the Paddy Cocktail up the flagpole. Now I'm just waiting to see if anyone salutes it.

First course is still a work in progress as well. It's going to include butternut squash, beets and parsnips. Three beautiful colours.....

Dinner is going to be venison ragu over homemade pappardelle . Like I said, I'm tweaking my method just a bit to accomodate the flavour of the meat. Wine will most likely be a cabernet.

Dessert is pumpkin cheesecake. I have to admit, I bought the cheesecake:wink:

I can't wait to see if you like it. Venison is one of those things......some people love it, but some people just don't care for the taste at all. FWIW......my hubby says that it has to be field dressed (cut out the musk glands immediately) and processed correctly for it to be good. I've had sausage (mixed with pork), and the ground venison made into chile, and both were good. I've never had a roast. Hope you like it.

homecook

Here's dessert and here's the pork loin roast..........almost ready.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 129

Mr. Green Jeans

I can't wait to see if you like it. Venison is one of those things......some people love it, but some people just don't care for the taste at all. FWIW......my hubby says that it has to be field dressed (cut out the musk glands immediately) and processed correctly for it to be good. I've had sausage (mixed with pork), and the ground venison made into chile, and both were good. I've never had a roast. Hope you like it.

Here's a great recipe for venison. Sorry Vera I weighed in a tad late.

Ingredients:
1 pound stew meat or round steak (trimmed and cut up)
1 package dry onion soup mix
Two 10-ounce cans of cream of mushroom soup
2 cups of fresh mushrooms or two 4-ounce cans drained mushrooms
1/2 cup of red wine
1 cup sour cream

Place meat, onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms, and wine in Dutch oven. Bake all afternoon well-covered at 200 to 250 degrees. Allow at least three hours. The lower the temperature, the longer it cooks, the more tender the results.

Add one cup sour cream at serving time. Serve over noodles or rice. This recipe is a favorite with the wranglers, cooks and guests. It's easy to put together, easy to increase, and always turns out perfect!

homecook

Pork loin roast, butternut squash and au gratin potatoes.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 124

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Well, I planked my steelhead. Marinated it a bit in maple syrup, bourbon, soy & pickled ginger.
Cooked it 12 minutes on a soaked cedar plank in a 350 oven. It came out real nice - we are happy campers tonight!

Attachments

• maple bourbon planked salmon (2).jpg
    maple bourbon planked salmon (2).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 119

chowhound

That looks great, Barb. Nice action shot on the grill.

I was going to have the stew tonight that wasn't thawed last night, but it's still semi frozen and I'm not really in the mood for stew today anyway. So it'll be a CA Kitchen frozen pizza for me. I'm not really hungry, but I don't want to wake up starved tomorrow. Hell, I don't even feel like drinking tonight :^o