Frozen Pizza Taste Test

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

We taste-tested dozens of frozen pizzas from the grocery store at Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine—these top-scoring pies really deliver.

BEST OVERALL: American Flatbread Cheese and Herb
"It's pizza in its purest form," one taster said, "simple and earthy." (americanflatbread.com for stores)
Read the full review »

BEST CHEESE: Wolfgang Puck All-Natural Margherita
This pie won raves over the "big, pretty" tomato slices and strong flavors of olive oil and herbs: "It tastes like fresh pesto."
Read the full review »

BEST PEPPERONI: Tombstone Pepperoni
Tasters called it "one generously topped" pie. The supermarket standby also scored big for its "thick and salty" slices.
Read the full review »

BEST VEGETABLE: DiGiorno Rising Crust Spinach, Mushroom & Garlic
"It's doughy on the inside and crisp on the outside," said one taster. And this well-decorated pie is smothered with "loads of spinach" and "fresh-tasting mushrooms."
Read the full review »

BEST SAUSAGE: Home Run Inn Deep Dish Sausage
Tasters said the inside-out deep-dish pie is worth the fuss, praising its "crunchy crust," "big tomato chunks" and "juicy sausage." (homeruninn.com for stores)
Read the full review »

BEST CRUST: Amy's Kitchen 3-Cheese Pizza with Cornmeal Crust
Freezers aren't always kind to pizza crust—making them doughy, dense or limp. But judges noted the "great cornmeal texture" on this unique recipe.
Read the full review »

BEST ODDBALL
California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken
The frozen supermarket version of the restaurant's pie beat plenty of wacky pizzas. Judges loved the "tangy" sauce and "mountain of toppings."
Read the full review »

chowhound

I've never seen more than half those brands.
I don't get "best oddball" category though. I love CA Kitchen pizzas. I don't get what is odd about it :huh:

Attachments

• pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 93

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I don't get the oddball one either, Chow. BBQ chicken pizza is very common and very popular around here. The best is Bacci Pizza down the street, they put BBQ chicken, bacon, cheese, onion, and BB sauce on theirs. Yum!!
Oddball would be the Thai Curry Pizza we had from California Pizza Kitchen...