Smell made me nauseous

High Cheese

Saucier
Last nights dinner was a recipe from one of my magazines: Grilled chicken and mushroom kabobs with an Asian glaze. I also made some seperate shrimp kabobs to go with it.

Anyway, we prepped the chicken and ingredients for the sauce and everything was fine, until we started to simmer the sauce. Once I smelled it I felt quite nauseous. The sauce was basically soy, mirin, rice vinegar, honey, garlic and ginger. Nothing weird at all and all the ingredients were fresh. Just the smell made me gag.

It didn't bother me as much while I was basting the kabobs, but the damage was done and I only ate a little.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
What brand of soy sauce did you use? I've tried a couple in the past that had a bad odor when heated so now I use exclusively Kikoman for cooking with though as is I like a lot of others.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting as I use that same combo from time to time never getting a bad smell. Perhaps the mirin or rice wine vinegar are going rancid or the soy sauce. I can't imagine bad garlic, ginger or honey being bad. Especially if you cut the garlic and ginger up yourself.

Lefty

Yank
Were your shoes off or on when this happened. j/k

Sorry about that. Once I get a bad feeling about some thing like that its all over. No real recovery for me.

chowhound

GRAMMAR ALERT! GRAMMAR ALERT!

The smell was nauseous and it made you nauseated.

I'd let him slide on this, Doug.
I'm pretty sure nauseous wasn't his first choice of words... :mrgreen:

That sucks, Jeeks.
Once I get a bad whiff of something, it's all over as far as eating it goes.

High Cheese

Saucier
GRAMMAR ALERT! GRAMMAR ALERT!

The smell was nauseous and it made you nauseated.

Sorry, I meant the smell made me want to blow chunks. :puke1:

Better? lol

Maybe I'll check the mirin and rice wine when I go home. I don't think those aromas would overpower the soy or ginger though.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I kniw the feeling - If something doesn't look right / feel right I usually don't eat it. DW is just the opposite. She will eat lots of things that I will not touch. Hence the expression"I will be glad tocook it for you."

While I am sorry this happened I was just hoping that you did not drive by my house when I had a kitchen disaster in progress.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Another thing that I just though off. If you burn garlic it gets nasty tasting, but again if you just brought it to a simmer I don't think that would happen. If it is going bad it sure would over power soy and ginger.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I wonder if there was any type of oil used in the recipe. Not sure what mirin is.

But if any oil was used, it might be good to take a wiff of it and see if it is still fresh or stale (rancid).

Stale oil is a turn-off and it can kill food almost as quickly as bacteria can! It has an awful smell to it and it is not preasurable to smell at all! Toss it out.

Sesame seeds and its oil can go bad real fast, as does most other oils do. I keep it in the fridge, and I only buy medium size bottles of oil to keep spoilage to a very minimum.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know that it smelled "off" like bad or anything. But she was affected a tad too.

Well, that's good, then.

Don't want you to be having any "phantom smells" or "distorted smells" now.

Lee