Chicken cumble?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
My son had this on his week away and wants me to make it.

I've looked up a whole lot of recipes on the internet - all different ideas of the crumble top.

What are your thoughst - I'm vaguely going along the line of marg, flour & cheese - it's what sort of seasoning to use in there.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
My son had this on his week away and wants me to make it.

I've looked up a whole lot of recipes on the internet - all different ideas of the crumble top.

What are your thoughst - I'm vaguely going along the line of marg, flour & cheese - it's what sort of seasoning to use in there.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/chicken_crumble.php

2 lb (1 kg) chicken thighs, skinned
4 parsnips (1-1/4 lb/625 g)
2 turnips (12 oz/375 g)
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, diced
3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
3 tbsp (45 mL) each cornstarch and all-purpose flour
Crumble:
3 cups (750 mL) fresh bread crumbs
3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (75 mL) grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, melted

Preparation:
In Dutch oven, bring 4 cups (1 L) water to boil. Add chicken thighs; cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 35 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken to plate; let cool. Remove meat from bones; thinly slice and set aside.

Crumble: Meanwhile, in bowl, combine bread crumbs, flour and Parmesan; drizzle with butter, pressing with fingertips to form small crumbs. Set aside.

Peel parsnips and turnips. Cut parsnips in half lengthwise; cut crosswise into slices. Quarter turnips; cut crosswise into slices.

Add parsnips and turnips to Dutch oven; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving stock; set vegetables aside.

Skim fat from surface of stock and add enough water to make 3-1/2 cups (875 mL) if necessary; set aside.

In same Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; fry onion, celery, salt, thyme and pepper, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until softened and light golden. Stir in reserved liquid, chicken and vegetables; bring to boil.

Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, flour and 1/3 cup (75 mL) cold water until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture; boil for 1 minute.

Scrape into 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish; top with crumble. Bake on baking sheet in 375°F (190°C) oven for about 40 minutes or until topping is crisp and golden.