Another beef tongue recall prompted by incomplete tonsil removal

waybomb

Cargill Meat Solutions Corp. in Milwaukee is recalling approximately 5,522 pounds of beef tongues that may not have had the tonsils completely removed, USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service announced.

Tonsils are considered a specified risk material and must be removed from cattle of all ages in accordance with FSIS regulations. SRMs are tissues that are known to contain the infective agent in cattle infected with bovine spongiform encephalopathy, as well as materials that are closely associated with these potentially infective tissues.

Subject to recall are various weight cases of "BEEF TONGUE #1 White." Each case bears the establishment number "EST. 17690" on the product label.

The products were produced between Oct. 12 and Oct. 14 and shipped to distribution centers in Illinois for further sale.

The problem was discovered during FSIS inspection activities at the establishment.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, just about 3 tons of tongues. :eek:
Now I'm wondering how much one tongue weighs so I'd know how many bovine were slaughtered in the 3 day period.
I'll guess an avg weight of 6lbs ....so that would mean 937 bovines were slaughtered in that period. Darn shame the tongues have to go to waste.

I've never knowingly had the tongue of any animal for dinner (or breakfast or lunch). I suppose they are used in dog food.

High Cheese

Saucier
Wow, just about 3 tons of tongues. :eek:
Now I'm wondering how much one tongue weighs so I'd know how many bovine were slaughtered in the 3 day period.
I'll guess an avg weight of 6lbs ....so that would mean 937 bovines were slaughtered in that period. Darn shame the tongues have to go to waste.

I've never knowingly had the tongue of any animal for dinner (or breakfast or lunch). I suppose they are used in dog food.

That's ABT!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That's why you're not supposed to put crap like that in your mouth! LOL

Seriously - this happened to me. I had my tonsils removed when I was 15 and imagine my surprise when about 10 years later, I got tonsillitis! I had an incomplete tonsil removal.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Tongue, properly prepared, is quite tasty. You can get it in the deli case at bigger grocery stores. Also made as "blood tongue" roll. I was raised in a family with a "Depression" mentality. We wasted nothing, and ate a lot of things that city folks would not touch. Mom's pressure cooker was used a lot.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, my grandmother used to boil a beef tongue, then shred it to add to noodles to have over mashed potatoes.
It was good.

The first time I ever saw deli- tongue was when I lived in England.
Had it on wasa bread with horseradish at a party and it was pretty good.
Looks like this in that form..

012994.jpg

waybomb

I've had it a couple of times. Not something i would order, but it wasn't bad at all. Besides, I really liked the Polish girl who made it and served it......
Aw heck, I like all Polish girls...

smoke king

Banned
I was showing my grandson Sammy some beef tongue at the store a couple of weeks ago, and after he made his typical, 8 year old response, he asked me "if its from a cow, why wouldn't we just eat hamburger instead?"

I had no response-I gave him 5$ for some Pokemon cards.