How NOT to make a Wedding Cake

Several members here know me from elsewhere, where I went on hiatus to recover from a house flood, nurse a swollen leg and make a wedding cake. Anyway, you have been asking how the cake went so here goes.

Here's how NOT to make a cake:
1. Don't use a recipe you have never tried before and expect it to work the way you want it to.
2. Don't carve two layers that go together seperately or you may just try to assemble them backwards and have the top one crumble into itty bitty pieces!
3. Don't assume that any wedding cake is "simple" to do.
4. Don't read the recipe for the caramel mousse filling after the cake is all ready to be assembled only to find out it will take 3 hours because of cooling the different stages.
5. Don't leave your gumpaste flowers until the night before because they won't set in time and will fall apart when you try to paint them!
6. Don't try out a new piping tip in bright red icing on the nice white fondant.
7. Don't try to compensate for one cake being higher than the other because you will most likely overcompensate even more than the original difference!
8. Finally, don't attempt the cake at all when you are ill with a sinus infection, have a leg that is swollen and are on heavy pain meds!

The cake was delivered, barely on time and the bride's mother seemed okay with it. I was so sick and DH was exhausted from helping me and prepping a room for laying hardwood and had to work a graveyard shift, so we didn't stay for the reception. I haven't talked to the bride yet. She is....er was a good friend! :oops:

I will post pictures when I can get them off the camera!

Last edited:

Calicolady

Ah, Laurie. Murphy's Law ALWAYS kicks in when you don'tfeel well. So Sorry about your calamities.

Here's a couple of SMILIES for you.

146070.jpg

144534.jpg

Last edited:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Oh dear. I'm sure people loved it. Now have a rest and take it easy.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
They still lovely and as weddings are so sentimental, I'm sure they fitted in as a treat. I would never be able to do anything half as good as those.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
LP, you are just like me! I try to make everything perfect and I am the only one who cares and notices the imperfections-- drive myself nuts! Your cakes look beautiful--honestly! I would be silent otherwise. I think it was a sweet choice the two hearts and their initials. I am sure they tasted fantastic and in the end, that is what people are going to remember.
(((((Laurie))))), now go back to taking care of yourself!!!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh Laurie, your fondant frosting looks gorgeous! Wish I knew how to do that! I cannot honestly see anything wrong with this cake(s) - they are beautiful!

My wife took up cake decorating years ago, and wound up making several wedding cakes professionally. Her most difficult challenge was a three tier wedding cake with columns supporting the top tier, made from Carrot Cake mix with cream cheese frosting. She couldn't pipe the cream cheese frosting and have it come out right, so had to do the piping with buttercream colored to match the cream cheese. It had a rope of orangey flowers trailing down one side, like a circular staircase. For that she had to use bought silk flowers. Came time for the wedding, in Central Florida, very hot, very humid, and two of her sisters went with us - full car. Frosting almost melted off the cake. Worst part was that the bride didn't want to pay any more than the materials cost, and my wife had many hours of labor in it, not to mention the cost of all her pans, tiers, etc., etc. She gave up the commercial cake baking after that.

Fred

GW, I understand your wife's frustrations completely. When I got this delivered, I told DH that I wanted to cancel my other 5 weddings this year and just throw in the towel. But once I rested up I realized that I have had many more successes than failures. But no, contrary to what people think, it is not a big money maker! After this year, I think I will give it up except for the odd cake or catering for friends.

High Cheese

Saucier
Hey Laurie. I've been thinking about trying to make a cake once, but one of those sculpted jobs. I never made a cake before so be prepared for many questions. lol