Dinner Sat, Oct 17th

chowhound

And with my 5000th post, I'll ask y'all what you have on the menu today?

Dinner for me will be a grilled ribeye, probably with some kind of mushroom or cheese sauce. And a grilled potato and green beans.

Prior to that I am going to take some leftover fried veggies from the other night, fry an egg, heat up a slice of smoked baloney and make a breakfast/brunch sandwich.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
It feels like ages since I've been in the kitchen....and I've got all sorts of things planned for that room today.

Cocktail is 1792 Bourbon

First course is roasted marrow bones with caesar salad.

Dinner is homemade manicotti stuffed with ricotta cheese and eggplant parmesan with fresh mozzarella. I'm also making italian bread. The biga has been in the fridge for two days.

We've been to two wine festivals recently so the wine fridge is stocked with a variety of wines. No idea which one will make it to the table.

Dessert will have something to do with apples. I still have tons in the downstairs fridge.

GotGarlic

No idea at all. DH is going to a class tonight involving a telescope, so he will be gone overnight. I'm going to a wine festival today - semi-work-related, which is why I'm going on a cool, likely-to-be-drizzly day. We have a chalet (tent with tables and chairs) reserved and hors d'oeuvres will be catered, so we'll see how hungry and energetic I am when I get home. Maybe just a salad and some of that homemade rosemary focaccia that's in the freezer.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
the plan is pork loin roast ($.99 per lb), mixed veggies and/or spinach, stuffing (maybe), mashed taters and gravy. maybe an apple crisp or apple pie or apple cake for dessert.

Mr. Green Jeans

We've been to two wine festivals recently so the wine fridge is stocked with a variety of wines. No idea which one will make it to the table.

Vera did you pick up any Pinot Noir from OR? My stomping grounds :)

chowhound

Butts are dirt cheap here as well. At least at the town grocer, but I already have a pretty big one in the freezer. Still, I might pick up a couple more.
Can't get enough butt...

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Butts are dirt cheap here as well. At least at the town grocer, but I already have a pretty big one in the freezer. Still, I might pick up a couple more.
Can't get enough butt...
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm would you please smoke a butt for me?

homecook

Geesh Fred.......you need to get together with BT and phreak. LOL

I'm not sure if I'm cooking or not. It's Sweetest Day and my sweetie wants to take me out...........not really a good idea.

I may just grill some ribeyes if the rain would only stop. Things may change.........

chowhound

Sweetest Day... my calendar doesn't say it's sweetest day. Are you sure?
FWIW, yesterday was not only boss' day, it was also national feral cat day.
Sweetest day..... lol. I guess I'm out of the loop on that one.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Just another commerical initiative to extract money from your wallets.

homecook

Just another commerical initiative to extract money from your wallets.

You've got that right!!! We don't celebrate it nor Valentine's day either for that matter. Dh just wanted to go out to dinner tonight and I mentioned it was Sweetest Day. That's why it's not a good idea to go out.........too damn crowded!! Only in Ohio......LOL

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
ahhh..

It was 87 years ago in Cleveland when a team of top candy makers, normally rivals, concocted yet another promotion in the same manner that they would concoct fudge or caramel or taffy. Valentine's Day didn't have a fall partner, so they formed "The Sweetest Day in the Year Committee." And for suitors and lovers ever since, things have never been the same.

There still are cynics. As momentum switched beyond candy to cards, some folks started describing Sweetest Day as "a Hallmark holiday." To counteract this contention, Sweetest Day marketers explain that there is a difference between Sweetest Day and Valentine's Day. The difference is that while Valentine's Day is just for your one and only love, Sweetest Day is for all of the people who make your life special.

chowhound

... and if you don't finish all your candy on Sweetest Day, you can pass it out it to kids two weeks later.

buckytom

Grill Master
Geesh Fred.......you need to get together with BT and phreak. LOL

i would love to hang out with them for a day, but i'm pretty sure they'd talk me into doing things where i could lose a limb or organ or something, lol.

i'm about to go postal anyway. 3 more hours to go. been here (at work) since 11pm last night.

help?

homecook

i would love to hang out with them for a day, but i'm pretty sure they'd talk me into doing things where i could lose a limb or organ or something, lol.

i'm about to go postal anyway. 3 more hours to go. been here (at work) since 11pm last night.

help?

You're probably right bucky! lol I think I'd be leery too.

You sound like my sil........and he works for the post office.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I'll be making at least a couple dishes and dessert for the week then hubby's taking me out for Italian after he buys me my bread machine! :biggrin:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

Vera did you pick up any Pinot Noir from OR? My stomping grounds :)
I do like Oregon wine...but these were local wines...one was PA, the other was NJ

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Costco had whole tenderloins on sale for 7.49. I just finished peeling & cutting one up. It went into foodsaver bags and are now in the freezer.

Except the ones I'm keeping out for dinner tonight!

Attachments

• tenderloin 002.jpg
    tenderloin 002.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 92
  • tenderloin 003.jpg
    tenderloin 003.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 98