I tried turkey bacon today

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I tried turkey bacon today and it's not bad. Not as good as good ole fashioned pork bacon for sure. But as a healthier (I guess it's healthier) alternative it's not bad.
Has anyone else tried it? What do you think of it?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've tried it but not a fan to say the least. In a pinch I would probably eat it again if that is all that was available.

bowlingshirt

I would think it's something if you eat plain could tell a big difference, but if you use it in a recipe the differences if flavor wouldn't be so obvious.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good point BS ...as a bacon replacement it would work fine. But I even had a TBLT and had a piece plain and I was shocked. I didn't mind it. I expected to go YUCK but that did not happen. I'll have it again, once in awhile.

buckytom

Grill Master
doc, et al, check the nutritional info per serving size. different brands have varying amounts of the bad stuff.

toikey bacon really isn't all that much healthier of a choice with most brands. we used to eat it religously (well, it was on sundays. anyway) but one day dw did the comparison and realized that there wasn't much difference at all when it came to sodium and cholesterol.

so we're real bacon people again.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Pretty sure turkey bacon hit the shelves about 15 years ago and I didn't much care for it then. Over the years I've given it a go a few more times, assuming someone from the new guard would have gotten a closer hit to the mark. Not quite so.

I'd rather limit my intake of bacon made from pigs and enjoy the real thing. I think turkeys should stick to being stuffed. My bacon doesn't need a friend.

GotGarlic

I have to agree. Men's Health magazine does nutrition comparisons, and one of them I saw was turkey vs. pork bacon. Turkey bacon has the same amount of fat but twice the sodium! To make up for the lack of flavor, I guess :smile: We go for the real stuff here, too.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Screw the phony food. I got my blood work back today from my physical, and my cholesterol is down to 165 from 176 two years ago. Homemade bread, olive oil and real animal parts. Look out Porky, here I come....:yum::yum:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
doc, et al, check the nutritional info per serving size. different brands have varying amounts of the bad stuff.

toikey bacon really isn't all that much healthier of a choice with most brands. we used to eat it religously (well, it was on sundays. anyway) but one day dw did the comparison and realized that there wasn't much difference at all when it came to sodium and cholesterol.

so we're real bacon people again.
Thanks BT and all others who pointed out turkey bacon is hardly any better for you. Twice the sodium is probably why it was palatable to me. I love the real thing and now I have a valid reason to stick with the real thing on those occasions where I have bacon. :D
:beer:

David C

Hi
A while ago when in Malaysia a muslim country we had beef bacon !!!!!
Now if you think turky bacon strange you should try this stuff. It really is enough to put you off a good old fry up and get you eating healthy meusli :yuk:!!!!!!
Went onto fresh fruit and curry.
David

chowhound

I don't know, Sass. If they do, they don't advertise it.
That stuff was nasty. I remember hunting camp, we all used to either bring a large meal or bring breakfast stuff. One year one guy brought about 12 packages of that stuff for the weekend. He took just about all of them back home. All it took was one breakfast and we were sending his butt to the store for real bacon (lol).

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking it was discontinued due to the dying out of the maddening 80s-90s lean/light/ultra-light craze.
Remember that.. when everything was "lite", and they just HAD to spell it lite to be even more annoying lol

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I actually like turkey bacon but you have to watch what brand you buy.. Butterball turkey bacon is my choice & it's 98% fat free.

Of course it's not like the real pig product but it's still good. I also eat beef bacon, I just to remind myself that when I eat it to enjoy it for what it is.....

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I actually like turkey bacon but you have to watch what brand you buy.. Butterball turkey bacon is my choice & it's 98% fat free.

Of course it's not like the real pig product but it's still good. I also eat beef bacon, I just to remind myself that when I eat it to enjoy it for what it is.....
You got that right Jeff about Butterball being the best.
I think I've tried Louis Rich (?) and it was pretty bland.
Hiiiiiiii by the way! :D

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I've tried it but not a fan to say the least. In a pinch I would probably eat it again if that is all that was available.

I'm with you joec - I can't do it. Eating regular bacon is good only if you eat it in moderation....:agree:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I heard it goes well with Tofurkey!
Hey you. I used to eat that, and yes it was good.. ok... it was adequate:yum:

If you purchase the right brand of turkey bacon, it has a nice smoked flavour, and you must fry/nuke it crisp.
That would be Butterball.