Handy Kitchen References area

Lefty

Yank
We have had a suggestion to create a Handy Kitchen References area. If you have any good reference materials to do with cooking please post the thread and report it. That way you have a thread for members to comment and a copy in the reference section without comments. The same can be done with existing posts that would make a good entry into that section, just report it and one of the staff will make a copy and lock it down.

We hope you guys like this idea. We are really excited about it and think it will make a nice improvement to this site. Thanks for the idea JoeC.

L

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are two more that many might find interesting.

Alcohol substitutions:
2 T amaretto: 1/4 t to 1/2 t almond extract*
2 T bourbon/sherry: 1-2 t vanilla extract*
2 T brandy/rum: 1/2-1 t brandy or rum extract*
2 T Grand Marnier: 2 T unsweetened orange juice concentrate or 2 T orange juice + 1/2 t orange extract
2 T Kalua/chocolate liquor: 1/2 -1 t chocolate extract + 1/2-1 t instant coffee in 2 T water
1/4 cup or more brandy, port, rum, sweet sherry or fruit flavored liqueur: equal measure orange juice or apple juice + 1 t flavored extract or vanilla extract
1/4 cup or more red wine: equal measure of red grape juice or cranberry juice
1/4 cup or more white wine: equal measure of white grape juice or apple juice

* Water, milk, white grape juice or apple juice may be added to get the specified amount of liquid for recipes in which liquid amount is crucial.

How to Make Ghee (Clarified butter)

4 sticks (or 1 lb.) of regular, unsalted butter.

1. Melt the Butter
Put all the butter into a pot, and cook it on a low heat. In a few minutes, the butter will melt, the foam will rise to the top, and bubbles will be bursting.

2. Scoop the Foam From the Butter
Once the foam appears, lower the heat to an even lower degree and scoop off the foam with a spoon. (dog's love this foam)

Continue to cook the butter on a low heat for about 5-15 minutes, or until the butter becomes very clear and the milk solids on the bottom become a light brown.

3. Pour the Butter
Now turn the heat off and let the pot stand for 2 minutes, allowing everything to settle before straining everything into a jar through a coffee filter or a cheese cloth.

4. Once everything is in the jar, let it cool and solidify.

5. Store the Ghee
Your clarified butter is now ready and can be stored at room temperature for up to a year. You can now use it a as a dip for lobster sauce, an Indian food, or as a substitute for any recipe at all that calls for butter.

chowhound

Your clarified butter is now ready and can be stored at room temperature for up to a year. You can now use it a as a dip for lobster sauce, an Indian food, or as a substitute for any recipe at all that calls for butter.

You forgot it has a higher smoke point now. That could prove useful to someone wanting to saute with butter, but is afraid of burning it. :thumb:
Me, I just add a little oil to my butter.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Actually that is posted already Chow. A bit of olive oil will raise the smoke point of butter but nothing like the smoke point of Ghee though.

chowhound

Actually that is posted already Chow. A bit of olive oil will raise the smoke point of butter but nothing like the smoke point of Ghee though.

Here's part of your post from the locked thread;

"5. Store the Ghee
Your clarified butter is now ready and can be stored at room temperature for up to a year. You can now use it a as a dip for lobster sauce, an Indian food, or as a substitute for any recipe at all that calls for butter."

I am simply suggesting that if you are going to give uses for clarified butter, you might want to say that it can be used for sauteing without burning as easily like non-regular butter would. Many might find that useful, too.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, I misunderstood what you had said I guess but Clarified butter smoke point is Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter), 485°F, 252°C which is only less than Soybean oil 495°F 257°C, Safflower oil 510°F 266°C and Avocado oil 520°F 271°C. So you can see it doesn't burn off very fast hence the reason I love the stuff. It is also easy to make though takes a bit of time, about 30 minutes though well worth it.

chowhound

Exactly. That's why I thought it would be nice to mention this much higher smoke point for those that didn't know. That's all.