If you cook, should you be exempt from the dishes?

Lefty

Yank
I think so.

I am also saying if someone cooks for me I am willing to do the dishes too, fair is fair.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That's the general rule here and I think it's a good one. But I'm not a fanatic about it. If there is something going on after dinner when I have cooked, I will do the dishes, too.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Not in my house. If I'm cooking the pots/pans/tools etc are done as I go so when dinner is done it is just a matter of rinsing the dishes/glasses/flatware used to eat with and into the dishwasher.

My wife on the other hand piles everything into the sink until after dinner, spending a lot more time than I do in the kitchen. This is also why either I cook or she cooks as I won't work in a kitchen with dirty dishes in the sink or messy counters.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
What if the cook in question makes a huge mess, with little regard for the cleaner-upper? I woudn't like that.

That said, dh or ds usually cleaned up !!!

chowhound

I never heard of this rule, Lefty. Not that it doesn't exist.
Maybe I've been single too long, but back when I was betrothed, if I cooked I cleaned, if she cooked, she cleaned. If neither one of us felt like cooking and cleaning we went out.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Clean up is done by whoever feels like it - unfortunately, it does sometimes get left till the next morning.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Not in my house. If I'm cooking the pots/pans/tools etc are done as I go so when dinner is done it is just a matter of rinsing the dishes/glasses/flatware used to eat with and into the dishwasher.

My wife on the other hand piles everything into the sink until after dinner, spending a lot more time than I do in the kitchen. This is also why either I cook or she cooks as I won't work in a kitchen with dirty dishes in the sink or messy counters.
:yum: Just the same in our house. I clean as I go and finish the pots and pans as I'm plating the food. DW leaves it all for the end. I also like to wash the dinner dishes and she dries them, so I'm not looking in the dish washer for implements the next day if I'm making dinner. She, on the other hand, likes to keep her hands from the ravages of dishpan hands. I think it's a chick thing.:hide:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
She, on the other hand, likes to keep her hands from the ravages of dishpan hands. I think it's a chick thing.:hide:
My husband prefers to wash and dry by hand, too. (It must be a guy thing.) But my thoughts are that I finally have a dishwasher and it would be irresponsible not to use it.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Hubby & I have an arrangement where if I cook, he cleans up and if he cooks I clean up - although sometimes we clean up together depending upon how big of a mess we made, lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My husband prefers to wash and dry by hand, too. (It must be a guy thing.) But my thoughts are that I finally have a dishwasher and it would be irresponsible not to use it.

Now if it is just my wife and I as usual then not a lot so done by hand. Weekend when the family locust show up it is the dishwasher for sure. My wife prefers using the dishwasher for storage but if a lot I'm for it otherwise hand wash is fine.

Deelady

I second the......I WISH!!!

DF only does dishes when I'm not feeling well or was toooo pregnant to be on my feet long. But he does help with all other chores so I can't complain too much.......but still,I WISH!!!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm like the Joes...I clean as I go not so much because I want to but my kitchen is so small it demands it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is my main reason now aside from the fact I'm a neat freak. Which drives me crazy since the woman I married it the exact opposite, any flat uncluttered area is fair game for her to put stuff on. Oh well I guess opposites do attract.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
QBro and I both clean as we cook, so all that's left to do are the dinner dishes and packing up leftovers.

If he cooks, I clean up. If I cook, he cleans.

Fair is fair.

Lee

AllenOK

I have the echo the......... I WISH!

PeppA pretty much refuses to do dishes. Supposedly, her father made her do the dishes as punishment detail when she was younger. The only way I can get her to do dishes is with a working dishwasher, and me not doing dishes for a couple days (like last week with the move-a-thon).

We made a deal years ago concerning housework. I do dishes, and cook on my nights off, she does everything else.

Of course, this is really interesting when I have to work a day shift, as I usually do dishes in the morning. If I work a day shift, I don't really have time to do the dishes in the morning, so when I get home, I have to run a load, then start prepping dinner. If I can think about it, I'll run a load before I go to bed the night before.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I think so.

I am also saying if someone cooks for me I am willing to do the dishes too, fair is fair.
If you eat the meal, you help with the clean up.
This applies to holiday gatherings, picnics whatever.
It can be something as simple as helping load the dishwasher, clearing the counter, etc..

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Couldn't agree more. I'm the same way! :thumb:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is my main reason now aside from the fact I'm a neat freak. Which drives me crazy since the woman I married it the exact opposite, any flat uncluttered area is fair game for her to put stuff on. Oh well I guess opposites do attract.

Same at our house except ....she's the neat freak and I'm the slob. :hide:

If you eat the meal, you help with the clean up.
This applies to holiday gatherings, picnics whatever.
It can be something as simple as helping load the dishwasher, clearing the counter, etc..

That's how we do it also. No matter who cooks we all clean up afterwords. If DW cooks she'll usually have done up the pans that she could before the meal was ready to be served ...many times that is not possible though.

When our kids were growing up we had them do dishes as part of them earning their allowance. I think they felt abused.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
After cooking a few meals for GF, now DW, I was offered the deal that if I cook, she would clean. It worked for about 6 months.

heb1976

I complain all the time that if i cook - the boys should clean up after themselves. That included the condiments on the table, etc. Justin and Kyle are really good about at least putting their plates on the counter when they are done. Tom does at least rinse his dish off - but it would be nice if they would load the dishwasher. I always make sure it is empty before dinner so they can. They just never think about looking and I get tired of arguing about it. Wasted air in my opinion.

buckytom

Grill Master
we have a mixed unspoken agreement, and it depends on which kitchen is being used. dw's is the upstairs (where were usually eat), and mine is the downstairs kitchen.

if dw cooks upstairs, i help clean up the table and she does the pots and pans and fills the dishwasher. except on the nights that she goes to the gym, then i clean everything. :neutral:

if i cook downstairs - and we eat upstairs, dw cleans up the table and fills the dishwasher, and i leave the pots and pans in the sink until i do them the next morning. :mrgreen:

smoke king

Banned
We usually share clean up duty, but it really doesn't bother me to do the dishes/clean up afterward. If anything, it makes me kind of "clean as I cook" whenever possible, and then the mess afterwards is kept to a minimum.

The only exception is knives. I always wash,dry and put them away when I'm finished, and they never, ever see the inside of the dishwasher-period.